The Student Room Group

Applying for a PhD - questions

I am currently a master's student and I want to apply for a PhD. I was 90% sure I wanted to do a PhD but I wanted to wait to see how I found the master's before applying and I am now 100% sure I want to do a master's. However, I think I have left it quite late in the year so may need to wait until Spring 2020 to apply for September 2020 entry?

I am currently doing a research project for my master's and really enjoying it - both the topic and the lab environment. My PI is not currently offering any PhDs online, but would it be appropriate to ask if it would be possible to stay on after my master's to do a PhD? If not, I have looked online for PhDs in the area I want to study in (cancer) and there are a few but none that are funded. How do I even begin to look for funding? Aside from the university I am at, no other local universities have cancer research departments so I would need to move which means I would need help with living costs.

For reference I have a 1st class undergraduate degree in Biomedical Sciences and am on track (fingers crossed) for a distinction in my master's.

I would really appreciate advice on how I should approach this and what you would do if you were in my shoes. Thank you
Original post by xoelisee
I am currently a master's student and I want to apply for a PhD. I was 90% sure I wanted to do a PhD but I wanted to wait to see how I found the master's before applying and I am now 100% sure I want to do a master's. However, I think I have left it quite late in the year so may need to wait until Spring 2020 to apply for September 2020 entry?

I am currently doing a research project for my master's and really enjoying it - both the topic and the lab environment. My PI is not currently offering any PhDs online, but would it be appropriate to ask if it would be possible to stay on after my master's to do a PhD? If not, I have looked online for PhDs in the area I want to study in (cancer) and there are a few but none that are funded. How do I even begin to look for funding? Aside from the university I am at, no other local universities have cancer research departments so I would need to move which means I would need help with living costs.

For reference I have a 1st class undergraduate degree in Biomedical Sciences and am on track (fingers crossed) for a distinction in my master's.

I would really appreciate advice on how I should approach this and what you would do if you were in my shoes. Thank you

You've missed the deadline for funding from most, if not all, research councils and trusts for September 2919 entry. So if you don't want to self-fund and get the doctoral loan, then you'll need to wait until September 2020 entry. It would be good to ask at your current university, but then you'll still be faced with the issue of funding for this year.

A great website for PhD advice and funding information is findaphd.com. You have solid marks in both your degrees so you'll be set in that respect, so you'll need to make sure you have a stellar application/proposal to be competitive.

Also, you need to be pretty set on doing a PhD, as it's a huge time/financial/effort commitment. If you do wait until 2020 entry, then that will give you time to make sure that you are certain about it.
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You've missed the deadline for funding from most, if not all, research councils and trusts for September 2919 entry. So if you don't want to self-fund and get the doctoral loan, then you'll need to wait until September 2020 entry. It would be good to ask at your current university, but then you'll still be faced with the issue of funding for this year.

A great website for PhD advice and funding information is findaphd.com. You have solid marks in both your degrees so you'll be set in that respect, so you'll need to make sure you have a stellar application/proposal to be competitive.

Also, you need to be pretty set on doing a PhD, as it's a huge time/financial/effort commitment. If you do wait until 2020 entry, then that will give you time to make sure that you are certain about it.

Thank you so much for your reply. I am 100% sure that I want to pursue a PhD, ideally I would have done it straight after undergrad but I wanted to do the master's to just make sure I felt fully prepared for it and that I was sure. I think you are right that I need to wait for 2020 entry. My master's finishes this August, when would funding start to be announced? Waiting to apply next year means I will effectively be taking a gap year, will this be looked down upon? I am also nervous of the fact that I will be applying "on my own" without my university's help and guidance, although I know that they will give me good references.
Thank you so much for your reply. I am 100% sure that I want to pursue a PhD, ideally I would have done it straight after undergrad but I wanted to do the master's to just make sure I felt fully prepared for it and that I was sure. I think you are right that I need to wait for 2020 entry. My master's finishes this August, when would funding start to be announced? Waiting to apply next year means I will effectively be taking a gap year, will this be looked down upon? I am also nervous of the fact that I will be applying "on my own" without my university's help and guidance, although I know that they will give me good references.

Funding announcements vary depending on the funding body, but it's usually around September/October. Be warned though, that some funding deadlines are very tight, so you need to hit the ground running with your application if that's the case.

I'm currently on a 'gap year', as I too missed the funding deadlines while I was doing my master's. I'm hopefully going to do my PhD this September, but at the moment I'm still waiting for everything to be confirmed. I unfortunately didn't get awarded funding (only one funding body funds my particular PhD), so I'm going down the self-funded route. I don't think it's looked down on to have this year to prepare, as many people probably end up in our situation.

The applications are pretty straightforward, and there are loads of advice and websites out there with help. Also, once you've identified a promising supervisor, they will probably help you too.
Reply 4

Is there any mileage in doing a part-time PhD and doing a part-time job and then apply for a doctoral loan as well? Also, prep for your Ph.D interview in support of your research statement
Reply 5
Funding announcements vary depending on the funding body, but it's usually around September/October. Be warned though, that some funding deadlines are very tight, so you need to hit the ground running with your application if that's the case.

I'm currently on a 'gap year', as I too missed the funding deadlines while I was doing my master's. I'm hopefully going to do my PhD this September, but at the moment I'm still waiting for everything to be confirmed. I unfortunately didn't get awarded funding (only one funding body funds my particular PhD), so I'm going down the self-funded route. I don't think it's looked down on to have this year to prepare, as many people probably end up in our situation.

The applications are pretty straightforward, and there are loads of advice and websites out there with help. Also, once you've identified a promising supervisor, they will probably help you too.

Can you not get a student finance doctoral loan? i got one. It helps!
Original post by mgi

I'm getting a doctoral loan too alongside, but I counted that as self-funding. :smile:
Reply 7

I applied for and got a doctoral loan from student finance.
I think it’s worth emailing your PI and asking about any opportunities just to be sure.If there are definitely none then at least you could both apply together for funding next year, such as university funding
Reply 9
Hi,

I am doing a Cancer MRes and have been very fortunate to have a PhD offer to start October 2019 (my course finishes July). I looked around for a PhD because my PI is not taking on any PhD students this year (gutted) and did not want to self fund.

If you don't mind self funding, ask your current PI if they would be willing to take you on and if there is a project that you could do. No harm in asking. I am moving to a new city for my PhD, I can only do this as it is funded so the stipend will cover living costs. I don't think it is too late, I only had my interview in May for a PhD that starts October.

Best of Luck.

Reply 10
Original post by Salll93
Hi,

I am doing a Cancer MRes and have been very fortunate to have a PhD offer to start October 2019 (my course finishes July). I looked around for a PhD because my PI is not taking on any PhD students this year (gutted) and did not want to self fund.

If you don't mind self funding, ask your current PI if they would be willing to take you on and if there is a project that you could do. No harm in asking. I am moving to a new city for my PhD, I can only do this as it is funded so the stipend will cover living costs. I don't think it is too late, I only had my interview in May for a PhD that starts October.

Best of Luck.

Congratulations on your PhD :smile:

How do you recommend bringing it up with my PI? I don't want to come across like I'm begging or being cheeky by asking, I'm not really sure the etiquette of it. How did you find your PhD and how did you find the application process?
Reply 11
Original post by username2958710
I think it’s worth emailing your PI and asking about any opportunities just to be sure.If there are definitely none then at least you could both apply together for funding next year, such as university funding

I think I will go and see them and ask, but I'm not sure how to bring it up in conversation without it sounding cheeky? Do you have any ideas on how to talk about it without it coming across badly?
Reply 12
Original post by mgi

I'm getting a doctoral loan too alongside, but I counted that as self-funding. :smile:

It is something I have considered but I am not sure how it works with lab-based PhDs as you have to pay for both tuition and fees to use the lab so I have no idea how much it would cost per year.
It is something I have considered but I am not sure how it works with lab-based PhDs as you have to pay for both tuition and fees to use the lab so I have no idea how much it would cost per year.

The doctoral loan has a maximum value of £25,700 (although you can opt to take less if you wish). You can spend it how you want, but it's obviously not designed to fully cover all costs associated with a PhD. Tuition fees for PhD students are usually much less than for undergraduate students. Bench fees (which I assume is what you're referring to when you talk about lab use fees) vary by university and discipline I believe, so you'll have to research the exact costs for you.
I applied for a funded PhD project.
I was required to write a research proposal and submit my CV alongwith it.
I received an interview call where it was mentioned that 'we were very impressed by the quality of your research proposal'.
Wanted to know how much weightage it carries?
Also what amount of marks does a research proposal carry?And how much for the interview?
Also, please advice how should I prepare for the interview?
Moreover, I have 3 MA in the field for which I have applied. I have good amount of work experience as I have worked while studying.
Now I want to know which one they will consider?
Also my MA dissertation topic is similar to the project I have applied for.
Kindly help in anyway you can.
This is my 1st PhD application. So thinking a lot about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending