The Student Room Group

Is everyone problematic?

I feel like 'cancel culture' is a huge thing right now, and in some cases I do think people deserve that hate, but a lot of the time it's pretty over the top. I feel like I can't like things or people because they're deemed problematic, and I feel guilty if I associate myself with them. Also the fear that I won't be able to express certain opinions without being labelled as problematic, even though it isn't hate speech but just giving a different angle to certain issues. What are your thoughts?
Majority of the population yes
When you say problematic do you actually mean racist?
Has the definition of problematic changed recently?
Reply 4
purity culture is a very very bad thing and doesn't let people develop.
Reply 5
however, if youre talking about james charles, which i have a feeling you are, i know little about the situation but the things brought up by tati werent the start of it. the reason i dislike purity culture is because it doesnt give people a chance to develop and usually involves bringing up mistakes someone made very long ago. people who apologise and then keep making the same mistakes over and over clearly do not intend to improve.

edit: reread the post, youre probably not talking about him. im tired this morning and ill tackle your other point in a second.
(edited 4 years ago)
Get other friends, don't waste time with brain-dead zealots, does not matter the "left" of the "right", they are all the same trash.
Reply 7
okay, regarding 'problematic' media.

im autistic and i develop special interests very easily, and boy have i definitely had some problematic interests in the past. no media is perfect.

you do have to be critical of problematic media. like, 'that was a bad thing, i know that was a bad thing, i accept that was a bad thing, im not going to ignore it or overlook it' (LOOKING AT YOU PROMISED NEVERLAND FANS) and a lot of the cases these are small things that you can overlook. hell, even with how betrayed i feel i dont hate my friends for liking voltron. i get the storys good and its not their fault the writers screwed up the lgbt rep.

Spoiler

edit i really could have covered the above point with 'im cosplaying naoto despite how much atlus f*cked up his character because i still love him'

however with some media it gets so bad that you just cant defend it (kill me for using homestuck as an example but im going to) and you have to drop it. thats hard. but supporting something and someone like that is...eugh.

basically if you have to reach to defend it, you shouldnt be.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending