The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Further Maths Core Pure 13th May

Anyone else do the paper, and how did you find it compared to past papers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
really hard
Compared to last years paper, practically impossible. I couldn’t even finish it in time...
We now have two threads. Anyhow, anyone know where I can get a copy of this paper? They used to be available on TSR before they cracked down.
Reply 4
I have no idea sorry
Reply 5
I did the OCR MEI paper and got no more than 10/60 so your not the only ones :smile:
Reply 6
First 7 were mainly ok but the last 3 were very different to anything I’d seen before and I’ve done every past paper I could get my hands on.(might have been last two, it’s mostly blanked from my mind now)
(edited 4 years ago)
Mostly doable although a couple of questions that seemed impossible (cHiMpaNzEes)
It’s wasn’t too awful. But one or two questions were nightmares, and I didn’t have time to finish the last question... I’ve never hated chimpanzees more in my entire life.
(edited 4 years ago)
lets make an unnoffical marckscheme
Reply 10
my last question was a quartic equation in which I needed to find the roots; alpha, beta, gamma and delta, which was worth 7/60 and I had NO idea what so ever, so you may have had it better. Didn't do edexcel so I can't really comment.
The first 5 were alright, the standard deviation out of 85 marbles baffled me a little, but the last three questions were disgusting. Honestly just hoping the grade boundaries are low for this year
The order is wrong but I found the test hard :/

1.Matrix 2x2 inverse, determinant was -18 so not singular. Show that line was invariant.
2. Roots of polynomial w-3=x, don’t remember my answer though.
3. Argand diagrams? Roots aren’t the same quartic because they’re not complex conjugates. Prove argument was pi/4 and shade the diagram.
4. Is the line on the plane, intersect or parallel - didn’t manage to finish.
5. Three roots questions, -4 or 4 (don’t remember) and 2 +- 2^1/2. P was 22 or -22
6. Prod by induction (show that)
7. Vectors shortest distance I got as 427 approx so I saiid it was practical as OP was only 5 longer so not significant
8. Volume of revolution, I got the angle as 254 approx?
9. Series with the marbles mean and standard deviation, got the show that but can’t remember my answer for the standard deviation.
10. ChImPaNzEezZz
What did you guys get for the standard deviation? And the shortest distance for the mountain? Oh and the angle for the volume of revolution one. I don’t remember my answers well :/
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by dasdsd
Anyone else do the paper, and how did you find it compared to past papers?

I was so confident at first, but then after Q4 the questions were ridiculously difficult. I ran out of time, couldn't even get to the last 3 questions... It was impossible
Reply 15
What did people get for that volumes of revolution one? I had no idea that we had to know how to work out the degree by which you rotate the shape by!! I was so confused by the fact you times the integral by pi to rotate it by 360, when pi in radians in 180...
Original post by RedGiant
What did you guys get for the standard deviation? And the shortest distance for the mountain? Oh and the angle for the volume of revolution one. I don’t remember my answers well :/

Also I think I got -2 (i)sqrt(2) and it’s conjugate for the polynomial, anyone else?

Aren't you in year 13? Are you doing both AS and A2?
it was trash and i missed so many marks
Original post by thekidwhogames
Aren't you in year 13? Are you doing both AS and A2?

Yeah, both. Just back on TSR for the markschemes :P
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RedGiant
Yeah, both.

Ah OK, my friends said the paper was extremely hard. Do you remember your answers for volume?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending