The Student Room Group

National 5 French 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

I didn't really do as well as I wanted to, in both my prelim (8/20 for writing and 22/30 for reading) and my speaking exam (19/30), but we have done several practice papers in class where I have done relatively well.

I'm hoping the unpredictable bullets won't be too horrendous. Having read through all the past papers, they haven't been too complex in the past, just in general, stuff like when you are available to work/interview, languages spoken, educational qualifications etc.

The prelim (P&N) was pretty horrible in terms of writing. We got asked what our experience was with weddings. Nobody could have known it would be in there. In fact, all the P&N papers were quite hard, not just French.
Yes I did the P&N prelim as well! Our teachers actually gave us the bullet point about weddings the week before and told us to learn it since the paper was unfair and you wouldn't get asked about that in the actual exam. For unpredictables just learn some questions and basic verb structures. Hopefully the listening will be kind (compared to the listening, think I got 6/20 for that)
Original post by aingidh
I didn't really do as well as I wanted to, in both my prelim (8/20 for writing and 22/30 for reading) and my speaking exam (19/30), but we have done several practice papers in class where I have done relatively well.

I'm hoping the unpredictable bullets won't be too horrendous. Having read through all the past papers, they haven't been too complex in the past, just in general, stuff like when you are available to work/interview, languages spoken, educational qualifications etc.

The prelim (P&N) was pretty horrible in terms of writing. We got asked what our experience was with weddings. Nobody could have known it would be in there. In fact, all the P&N papers were quite hard, not just French.
Reply 22
I got 17/20 for the listening and 26/30 for the reading in the P&N. I usually find listening easier than the Job Application for some reason.
That weddings question was a nightmare! Our class average for listening was 9/20.... and we're top set.
Pray for me!
I’m trying to learn my writing and unpredicted bullet points and nothing is going in my head! I also have a massive amount of history to study this weekend :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by thepunmaster.e
I’m trying to learn my writing and unpredicted bullet points and nothing is going in my head! I also have a massive amount of history to study this weekend :frown:

Yeah I’m the same :/ I also have physics on Wednesday 😭
Good luck tomorrow guys!! Don’t panic I’m sure you’ll all do great!!
Good luck to you too! :smile:
Original post by sophieeeeee.x
Reply 28

Good luck everyone!! The Spanish exam was apparently much easier than the P&N Prelim paper so let’s hope ours is the same :smile:)
I never actually did the Spanish P&N (our teacher compiled several past paper questions together to make a prelim) but on the whole I’ve found the exams are easier than the prelims.

Spanish bullet points were “why you want to work in Spain” and “when you are available to work” so I am guessing French will be similar.

The only thing in Spanish I found difficult was the dualogue in the listening, as the guy was using vocabulary that we hadn’t covered in Nat 5 Spanish.
(edited 4 years ago)
Many schools make prelims more difficult to give it 'shock factor' and also so that if its submitted as evidence then there is little grade drop (because missing content) as it is a harder exam.
Original post by aingidh
I never actually did the Spanish P&N (our teacher compiled several past paper questions together to make a prelim) but on the whole I’ve found the exams are easier than the prelims.

Spanish bullet points were “why you want to work in Spain” and “when you are available to work” so I am guessing French will be similar.

The only thing in Spanish I found difficult was the dualogue in the listening, as the guy was using vocabulary that we hadn’t covered in Nat 5 Spanish.
How's everyone feeling about the exam tomorrow?
ok
we've done quite a bit of work towards our final grades already anyway
just hoping the listening isn't too bad and that we get nice unpredicatable bullet points
overall feeling pretty chilled rn :smile:
French is my last exam and I cannot fricking wait for 3:30pm tomorrow

Good luck everyone :smile:
I did the spanish exam, unpredicted bullet points were great (luckily I had learnt some and managed to get lucky!), so hopefully all will be well tomorrow. Listening was a little trickier, but still doable
Original post by zras83
Good luck everyone!! The Spanish exam was apparently much easier than the P&N Prelim paper so let’s hope ours is the same :smile:)
Who's ready for the French exam tomorrow? I've nailed my predictable and unpredictable bullet points, writing should be easy; but please... listening, don't be dreadful lol.

*Last time I'll ever have to do French :smile:, we were forced to take it in our school.*
Haha, listening is actually my favourite part! Good luck though x

Original post by Strelzo
Who's ready for the French exam tomorrow? I've nailed my predictable and unpredictable bullet points, writing should be easy; but please... listening, don't be dreadful lol.

*Last time I'll ever have to do French :smile:, we were forced to take it in our school.*
Original post by beth1709
Haha, listening is actually my favourite part! Good luck though x

You must be excellent at French then lol; luck of the draw for me. My average is 13, lowest I've had is 8 and my highest has been 16. When it comes to past papers, I do usually hit my average, think one time I hit 12. But the prelim is when we got 8: picked the worst recording; couldn't understand the girl's accent in our paper xD.

Good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by Strelzo
You must be excellent at French then lol; luck of the draw for me. My average is 13, lowest I've had is 8 and my highest has been 16. When it comes to past papers, I do usually hit my average, think one time I hit 12. But the prelim is when we got 8: picked the worst recording; couldn't understand the girl's accent in our paper xD.

Good luck to you too :smile:

I’m not sure what it is I just tend to understand what they are saying, I think the fact that I do Italian also helps as a lot of the words and the way the languages are a structured is similar, therefore when I’m doing listenings in Italian that helps improve my French too. I’m just hoping for good unpredictables but other than that I feel good for it. X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending