The Student Room Group

WJEC/Eduqas GCSE Computer Science 13th May morning exam

How was the exam for you guys? I found it quite ridiculous because nothing we were told to revise came up except for some network questions lol.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
got the wrong thread lol
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
The Big Bang theory😭😭😭
Reply 3
Original post by reecjo
Same, but I seemed to just throw in quotes and key words and do my best to relate them to whatever the question was asking (big bang theory like what?)

Loool
Reply 4
Let's try and make an unofficial markscheme
Original post by FTheOpps
How was the exam for you guys? I found it quite ridiculous because nothing we were told to revise came up except for some network questions lol.

Idk what they mean by big bang theory lmao

What did you put for the logic notation question?
Reply 6
Original post by Laurence863
Idk what they mean by big bang theory lmao

What did you put for the logic notation question?

Neither do I lol

For the first logic one I put AND then OR (I think that's the order)

The truth table was easy

Don't remember what I put for the boolean algebra one lol
Reply 7
So question 1 was something like "Describe the qualities of RAM, ROM and RAM cache"

I said that RAM is volatile, primary storage and holds data which is currently in use
ROM is non-volatile and contains the bootstrap required for booting the BIOS/OS
Cache stores instructions frequently used and is volatile
I did this paper this morning, now i’m stressing that I missed out a question because I don’t remember anything about Big Bang, can anyone let me know what it was in relation to?
Original post by ChrisJSYCI
I did this paper this morning, now i’m stressing that I missed out a question because I don’t remember anything about Big Bang, can anyone let me know what it was in relation to?

they're being stupid, I think they've confused it with an RS paper
Reply 10

Yh there's no big bang one idk what they're talking about dw
Oh thank god. I got worried for a second as I have a history with not reading the question but I thought I did in this paper 🤣
they're being stupid, I think they've confused it with an RS paper
Neither do I lol

For the first logic one I put AND then OR (I think that's the order)

The truth table was easy

Don't remember what I put for the boolean algebra one lol

yeah same, I meant the boolean algebra one, hb that one before the IDE stuff with the syntax analyser and code optimiser stuff?
Reply 13
Alright because I'm getting confused because I assume WJEC and Eduqas have different papers, what did people think of the WJEC paper?
Reply 14
yeah same, I meant the boolean algebra one, hb that one before the IDE stuff with the syntax analyser and code optimiser stuff?

That one ****ed me up ngl. Don't think we even learnt that in class :frown:

I felt that the 10 marker was quite vague, I wrote that there are two types of user interfaces - CLI, GUI and GUIs usually automatically install drivers for devices such as printers whereas CLIs don't and have to be installed via commands. For CLIs you have to learn commands and GUIs have clickable applications making it easier to navigate and use tools such as defragmentation and disk compression. For GUIs you can use peripherals such as mouses and for CLIs you primarily use a keyboard.
Things like that basically

For the environmental impact one I put that there is more awareness so more can be done about the issues, more landfill waste contributing to global warming & more energy used so more fossil fuels burnt so contributes to global warming.

For one of the Hex ones I put 57

The first image data representation one was 20 bytes then it was something like 1028 bits and then 3 colours.

That's what I can remember for now I'll add more as I remember
Reply 15
Original post by The Mogg
Alright because I'm getting confused because I assume WJEC and Eduqas have different papers, what did people think of the WJEC paper?

Eduqas is basically like Pearson for Edexcel it's the same thing. We're talking about computer science.

I felt that the 10 marker was quite vague, I wrote that there are two types of user interfaces - CLI, GUI and GUIs usually automatically install drivers for devices such as printers whereas CLIs don't and have to be installed via commands. For CLIs you have to learn commands and GUIs have clickable applications making it easier to navigate and use tools such as defragmentation and disk compression. For GUIs you can use peripherals such as mouses and for CLIs you primarily use a keyboard.

For the environmental impact one I put that there is more awareness so more can be done about the issues, more landfill waste contributing to global warming & more energy used so more fossil fuels burnt so contributes to global warming.

The first image data representation one was 20 bytes then it was something like 1028 bits and then 3 colours.

Checked with my teacher on some of the questions after the exam.

The 10 marker, you supposedly had to talk about how a GUI is more user-friendly then a CLI because the user does not have to learn any complicated commands in order to install a driver. Also got told that we should have talked about an example (e.g. Printers allow the Computer to store a queue on the PC and send the data when needed). (That’s just a basic idea).

Environmental issues I said that 1) Global Warming due to increased production of P.Cs due to a decreasing Digital Divide. 2) More energy used in general as there are more P.Cs running at the same time putting a higher strain on energy demands and therefore fossil fuel emissions increase. 3) Increased Carbon Footprint due to parts coming from around the world.

I also had a HEX one that was 57. Had a Binary answer of 01110000. Had to demonstrate the overflow in Binary Addition.

I had 5.675 bytes for that answer so I may have got it wrong there but the colour answer was 256 according to my teacher.

For the acceptable use policy question, I talked about the Computer Misuse Act and Data Protection Act.

RAM is volatile data that can be written to and read from.
ROM is non-volatile data that can only be read from. It is used in a Computer’s BIOS
Cache is non-volatile data that stores sets of frequently used instructions and data. Some P.Cs have up to 3 levels of Cache.

Those are the answers I remember right now

yeah I remember it being 20 bytes or something.

The other two, I got 20*8 for the number of pixels, which was 160, then multiplied that by 8 which was the number of bits per pixel to get 1280 bits.

I didnt get 3 colours... number of colours is 2^bits per pixel so it was 2^8 = 256 different colours
Reply 18
Checked with my teacher on some of the questions after the exam.

The 10 marker, you supposedly had to talk about how a GUI is more user-friendly then a CLI because the user does not have to learn any complicated commands in order to install a driver. Also got told that we should have talked about an example (e.g. Printers allow the Computer to store a queue on the PC and send the data when needed). (That’s just a basic idea).

Environmental issues I said that 1) Global Warming due to increased production of P.Cs due to a decreasing Digital Divide. 2) More energy used in general as there are more P.Cs running at the same time putting a higher strain on energy demands and therefore fossil fuel emissions increase. 3) Increased Carbon Footprint due to parts coming from around the world.

I also had a HEX one that was 57. Had a Binary answer of 01110000. Had to demonstrate the overflow in Binary Addition.

I had 5.675 bytes for that answer so I may have got it wrong there but the colour answer was 256 according to my teacher.

For the acceptable use policy question, I talked about the Computer Misuse Act and Data Protection Act.

RAM is volatile data that can be written to and read from.
ROM is non-volatile data that can only be read from. It is used in a Computer’s BIOS
Cache is non-volatile data that stores sets of frequently used instructions and data. Some P.Cs have up to 3 levels of Cache.

Those are the answers I remember right now

I wrote all of that for the 10 marker lol.

FFS I messed up the colour one

Yh I got those too for the HEX and binary ones

It said give your answer in bytes and other people said it was 20 too so you might have gotten that one wrong :frown:

I think the acceptable use one was about conducts or something so not DPA or CMA but the exam board probably wanted you to write it. I said it's a set of rules employees have to follow in a company such as not mishandling customer data etc.

Pretty sure cache is volatile but the rest is right I think

You probably did really well :smile:
Reply 19
yeah I remember it being 20 bytes or something.

The other two, I got 20*8 for the number of pixels, which was 160, then multiplied that by 8 which was the number of bits per pixel to get 1280 bits.

I didnt get 3 colours... number of colours is 2^bits per pixel so it was 2^8 = 256 different colours

Nice, I got the first two right then. I ****ed up on the colour one...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending