The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Further Maths Core Pure 13th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarahLouise0911
The order is wrong but I found the test hard :/

1.Matrix 2x2 inverse, determinant was -18 so not singular. Show that line was invariant.
2. Roots of polynomial w-3=x, don’t remember my answer though.
3. Argand diagrams? Roots aren’t the same quartic because they’re not complex conjugates. Prove argument was pi/4 and shade the diagram.
4. Is the line on the plane, intersect or parallel - didn’t manage to finish.
5. Three roots questions, -4 or 4 (don’t remember) and 2 +- 2^1/2. P was 22 or -22
6. Prod by induction (show that)
7. Vectors shortest distance I got as 427 approx so I saiid it was practical as OP was only 5 longer so not significant
8. Volume of revolution, I got the angle as 254 approx?
9. Series with the marbles mean and standard deviation, got the show that but can’t remember my answer for the standard deviation.
10. ChImPaNzEezZz

What was the induction question - was it series/divisibility/matrices or something else?
Original post by thekidwhogames
Ah OK, my friends said the paper was extremely hard. Do you remember your answers for volume?

Erm was that the angle one? I don’t remember what I put down in the end, although I think I ended up with something like 20/3 as part of the result (if this means anything). Found a few of the questions quite hard (and ran out of time).
"8. Volume of revolution, I got the angle as 254 approx? "

Can't relate, got -3000 pi for the rotation on top of negative area where there shouldn't be negative area ever... 😂😂
Series
Original post by _gcx
What was the induction question - was it series/divisibility/matrices or something else?
My friend said 4.444 radians for volume?

I've seen this answer a lot on reddit, but I don't have the paper so can't verify.
Reply 26
i Got 1.41 radians 😂😭😭
I worked out the volume of revolution like normal which gave the answer if it was rotated 360 then I compared it to the actual volume. The actual volume was like 70.7% of the 360 degree volume so I did it like that. Writing it out now it sounds wrong :/
Original post by Alyscara
"8. Volume of revolution, I got the angle as 254 approx? "

Can't relate, got -3000 pi for the rotation on top of negative area where there shouldn't be negative area ever... 😂😂
Series

Ah, I was wondering because they can test induction proof beyond those "prescribed" 3 and that'd throw people off. They've done this on the specimen but haven't done it with the 2 live papers so far, but there's still the A-level CPs to come.
I put 2.2 radians, not sure if that's right.
got 221m for vectors, 76 for standard deviation, 40/9 (4.44) radians for volume of revolution, p = 22
I worked out the volume of revolution like normal which gave the answer if it was rotated 360 then I compared it to the actual volume. The actual volume was like 70.7% of the 360 degree volume so I did it like that. Writing it out now it sounds wrong :/

That's really smart, I think I tried to solve for theta by dividing 461/2 by squiggle(f(X))² between 8 and 1/8, it was so wrong, but I didn't have enough time to finish the last 3
Looking at this thread made me realise I halved something when I should’ve doubled it on the rotations questions and then it would’ve been totally right :s-smilie:
I’m glad everyone found it hard though. First few questions really deceived me into thinking the paper was going to be okay 😭
Reply 34
I’m glad everyone found it hard though. First few questions really deceived me into thinking the paper was going to be okay 😭

even the standard deviation question?

Right, I thought I'd have enough time, I did the first half of the paper in 40 minutes, me thinking I have time decides to take it slow for the vectors, looks at the time and sees I have half an hour to do the last four questions. I skim the pages and realise the last three questions count for 32 marks, 12, 8, 12.... I then abandon all hope on vectors and almost have a panic attack in the exam room. It was disgusting.
4.44 recurring radiance

welldone!
Reply 37
Can’t remember did it ask for the angle in degrees not radians? I got 4.4 radians

1.Matrix 2x2 inverse, determinant was -18 so not singular. Show that line was invariant.
3. Argand diagrams? Roots aren’t the same quartic because they’re not complex conjugates. Prove argument was pi/4 and shade the diagram.
5. Three roots questions, -4 or 4 (don’t remember) and 2 +- 2^1/2. P was 22 or -22
7. Vectors shortest distance I got as 427 approx so I saiid it was practical as OP was only 5 longer so not significant
9. Series with the marbles mean and standard deviation, got the show that but can’t remember my answer for the standard deviation.
10. ChImPaNzEezZz
Radians I think.
Original post by dasdsd
Can’t remember did it ask for the angle in degrees not radians? I got 4.4 radians
thanks for posting the questions

10. ChImPaNzEezZz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending