The Student Room Group

OCR B Further Maths AS Level 13th May 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrRhino
Anyone remember the given matrix for this question?

Lambda k
1 lambda-k

Then they said take k as -2
Reply 21
I found that paper so hard. I don't think I've ever done a question with a quartic and trying to find the roots. It was so much harder than the 2018 paper for me so I hope the boundaries are low. What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be?
Reply 22
Original post by Zaythe
I found that paper so hard. I don't think I've ever done a question with a quartic and trying to find the roots. It was so much harder than the 2018 paper for me so I hope the boundaries are low. What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be?

60% or less for an A going by last years but guess it completely depends on how hard the other modules are
Reply 23
Yeah true, I'm going to have to do really well on my other 2 modules to have any chance of an A. What modules are you doing?
Original post by MrRhino
60% or less for an A going by last years but guess it completely depends on how hard the other modules are
You what? 60% for an A? Did you mess up because I’ve been operating on the idea that it’s 80% for an A.
Reply 25
Original post by Zaythe
Yeah true, I'm going to have to do really well on my other 2 modules to have any chance of an A. What modules are you doing?

Yeah same! Doing algorithms and mechanics - hoping algorithms makes up for this paper! What are you doing?
Reply 26
Yeah I'm doing the same lol. I find mechanics really hard, but algorithms is definitely the easier out of the two. I think I might need to lower my expectation of my grade now :frown:
Original post by MrRhino
Yeah same! Doing algorithms and mechanics - hoping algorithms makes up for this paper! What are you doing?
Reply 27
That's what it was last year, and I think the paper this year was quite a lot harder so I'm just hoping the boundaries are lower for this year's exam. How did you find the paper?
Original post by Greggaboi
You what? 60% for an A? Did you mess up because I’ve been operating on the idea that it’s 80% for an A.
Reply 28

Last year was 67% for an A in my modules. Considering this exam was harder, I thought they might go down to around 60/62 but I agree it sounds low
You can find grade boundaries specifically for each module, although obviously the boundaries depend on the modules you take. I do Mechanics and Stats, and Mechanics is the lowest 39/60 stats were a little higher at 42/60 and core was 46/60 if I remember them all correctly. We all agree the core paper last year was quite easy compared to this year, so boundaries for that module should be lower, but obviously, overall boundaries depend on other modules.
Original post by MrRhino
Reply 30
Hopefully, the grade boundaries will be closer to that of mechanics from last year considering how hard it was. Do you if anybody at all found that paper okay?
Original post by BrandonShulver
You can find grade boundaries specifically for each module, although obviously the boundaries depend on the modules you take. I do Mechanics and Stats, and Mechanics is the lowest 39/60 stats were a little higher at 42/60 and core was 46/60 if I remember them all correctly. We all agree the core paper last year was quite easy compared to this year, so boundaries for that module should be lower, but obviously, overall boundaries depend on other modules.
Original post by Zaythe
Hopefully, the grade boundaries will be closer to that of mechanics from last year considering how hard it was. Do you if anybody at all found that paper okay?

This guy from my college said it went well for him
Reply 32
Oh nice. It was a hard exam for me, I'll ask my teachers to see what they thought of it as well.
Original post by mudmuggleblood
This guy from my college said it went well for him
Well, I know I didn’t get the last 1/2 of question 6 because I copied the matrix down wrong (lambda - 2 instead of lambda + 2) but there’s probably a few method marks in there, and obviously we don’t know how well we did until August but aside from it being way harder than I expected, I think it went ok. That’s why I was surprised to hear the grade boundaries were like that for what was arguably an easier paper.
Original post by Zaythe
That's what it was last year, and I think the paper this year was quite a lot harder so I'm just hoping the boundaries are lower for this year's exam. How did you find the paper?
Original post by Zaythe
Oh nice. It was a hard exam for me, I'll ask my teachers to see what they thought of it as well.

Me too ..
So not prepared for mechanics if it’s going to be like this
Reply 35
I need to do so much revision for mechanics as well. I have my end of year exams this week as well, which doesn't help so I have to revise for them as well. I need to get full marks on algorithms to have an chance of passing lol!
Me too ..
Reply 36
Sounds like you did pretty well then, good luck for you next two!
Well, I know I didn’t get the last 1/2 of question 6 because I copied the matrix down wrong (lambda - 2 instead of lambda + 2) but there’s probably a few method marks in there, and obviously we don’t know how well we did until August but aside from it being way harder than I expected, I think it went ok. That’s why I was surprised to hear the grade boundaries were like that for what was arguably an easier paper.
Mechanics have lower boundaries since it is the toughest. So if you find you do the worst, as long as other people find the exam hard it should be reflected in the boundaries, hopefully like core today.
Original post by Zaythe
I need to do so much revision for mechanics as well. I have my end of year exams this week as well, which doesn't help so I have to revise for them as well. I need to get full marks on algorithms to have an chance of passing lol!
What do people reckon an A will be for pure? Last year it was 46/60.
Reply 39
I kind of regret taking this AS now, as I'm not carrying on to A Level and it doesn't provide any real benefit. I hope I can make up for this paper.
Me too ..

Quick Reply

Latest