The Student Room Group

Ocr mei further maths b core pure 2019 unofficial mark scheme

Unofficial markscheme:
Sum to 100 question, use the method of differences to find the sum formula, 1.5-(1/n+1) - (1/n+2)

Equation with roots 2a-3 and 2b-3, sub in (w+3)/2 to get 3w^2+16w+29

M^-1 done on calculator, matrix = (0, 1, -1, 2, -8, 5, -1, 5, -3) as a 3x3

Significance of determinant being 0 is that it maps all points onto a single line (colinear) because the area scale factor is 0

Angle between planes = angle between normal vectors, cos (x) =a•b/|a||b| so the angle = 40.2 degrees

Given the matrix B^-1 A^-1, AB is the inverse so (1/3, -1/3, 1/3, 2/3) as a 2x2 matrix.
B = (0, -3, 1/3, 2/3)

Possible values of lambda, greater than 0 or less than -4.

There are no invariant lines of the transformation because there are no real roots to 2m^2 + 2m +1.

Points of intersection on argand diagram are: (sqrt(7)/sqrt(2)) + (4+(sqrt(7)/sqrt(2)))i along with the negative of those square roots.

Roots of quartic equation i (given), -i (conjugate pair) and substitution gives 1+i and 1-i
(edited 4 years ago)
I didnt get your intersection for the complex number one. A lot of people in my college got the same answer. It was like +-(sqrt14)/2, +-(8+sqrt14)/2, or something (not sure about the y coordinate, but I'm sure the x is right) and the question about the determinant was the significance if >0
Original post by Ed_e12
Unofficial markscheme:
Sum to 100 question, use the method of differences to find the sum formula, 1.5-(1/n+1) - (1/n+2)

Equation with roots 2a-3 and 2b-3, sub in (w+3)/2 to get 3w^2+16w+29

M^-1 done on calculator, matrix = (0, 1, -1, 2, -8, 5, -1, 5, -3) as a 3x3

Significance of determinant being 0 is that it maps all points onto a single line (colinear) because the area scale factor is 0

Angle between planes = angle between normal vectors, cos (x) =a•b/|a||b| so the angle = 40.2 degrees

Given the matrix B^-1 A^-1, AB is the inverse so (1/3, -1/3, 1/3, 2/3) as a 2x2 matrix.
B = (0, -3, 1/3, 2/3)

Possible values of lambda, greater than 0 or less than -4.

There are no invariant lines of the transformation because there are no real roots to 2m^2 + 2m +1.

Points of intersection on argand diagram are: (sqrt(7)/sqrt(2)) + (4+(sqrt(7)/sqrt(2)))i along with the negative of those square roots.

Roots of quartic equation i (given), -i (conjugate pair) and substitution gives 1+i and 1-i
(edited 4 years ago)
how did you work out the intersection? I found the equation of the line and the circle but didn't know if i was going along the right track
Original post by BrandonShulver
I didnt get your intersection for the complex number one. A lot of people in my college got the same answer. It was like +-(sqrt14)/2, +-(8+sqrt14)/2
You knew the angle of tan pi/4 (or 45 degrees) and the length from the origin to the centre was 4 since the half line started at -4, so you can use trig to find the height of the triangle, to then find the gradient of the half line. Then plug in (-4,0) into y=x+c and get y=x+4, then sub into circle of (x-1)^2+(y-3)^2=9 and solve for x and y
Original post by mudmuggleblood
how did you work out the intersection? I found the equation of the line and the circle but didn't know if i was going along the right track
Reply 4
Substitute x+4, into the equation of the circle
Original post by mudmuggleblood
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
It's the same you've just rationalised the denominator

I didnt get your intersection for the complex number one. A lot of people in my college got the same answer. It was like +-(sqrt14)/2, +-(8+sqrt14)/2, or something (not sure about the y coordinate, but I'm sure the x is right) and the question about the determinant was the significance if >0
yh i started to do this towards the end after being puzzled for so long but didn't get time to find the roots. hopefully i get method marks
You knew the angle of tan pi/4 (or 45 degrees) and the length from the origin to the centre was 4 since the half line started at -4, so you can use trig to find the height of the triangle, to then find the gradient of the half line. Then plug in (-4,0) into y=x+c and get y=x+4, then sub into circle of (x-1)^2+(y-3)^2=9 and solve for x and y
Oh right lol its just what my calculator gave me as the answers to the quadratic

Original post by Ed_e12
It's the same you've just rationalised the denominator
Reply 8
Original post by Somerandomdud3
I disagree with some of your answers to question 6. For 6ai) If DET M > 0 for all values of lambda, then the quadratic you obtain you use b^2 - 4ac < 0 as this means there are no real roots (the graph is always > 0). If you do this you get -4 < k < 0. For 6aii) you need to explain the significance of DET M > 0 for the transformation, not equal to 0.DSC_0166.JPG

Can you send the rest of the paper?
Hi is the ocr mei AS paper for further maths (h635)?
Hi, I apologise for the late response but does anyone know if there is an unofficial mark scheme for the 2019 AS Further Maths Mechanics and Statistics papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending