The Student Room Group

OCR A: AS Further Mathematics: Pure Maths (paper 1) 13th May 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What does everyone think the boundary for an A will be (assuming stats and mechanics are similar difficulty)?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 21
also OCR WENT A BIT OVERBOARD WITH THEIR MATRICES...
Original post by seabasssss
Same here only figured out det=0 at the end and had to rush then ****ed up the expansion so got the wrong cubic I think

I was expanding the cubic in the last 2 minutes of the paper and I didn’t even even have time to finish it let alone write down the roots.... oh well :/
Reply 23
What did everyone get for the Area of region R for the complex number question?
I got something over 4 x pi
Original post by Loci Pi
What did everyone get for the Area of region R for the complex number question?
Reply 25
Original post by sarunthan87
I got something over 4 x pi

Same I think I got 17/4 pi or something like that. But it was definitely over 4 and multiplied by pi :smile: Thanks!
Yeah I got the same.

And about boundaries, I'm hoping low 40s for this paper. It was 47 last year, so 42 doesn't seem too much of a stretch. I know I was under 50 at least, hopefully I can get an A on this paper.

Just gotta use stats to bring it up, and hope discrete isn't too awful (last year's boundary was 32)
Original post by Loci Pi
Same I think I got 17/4 pi or something like that. But it was definitely over 4 and multiplied by pi :smile: Thanks!
Reply 27
Original post by DerivativeName
Yeah I got the same.

And about boundaries, I'm hoping low 40s for this paper. It was 47 last year, so 42 doesn't seem too much of a stretch. I know I was under 50 at least, hopefully I can get an A on this paper.

Just gotta use stats to bring it up, and hope discrete isn't too awful (last year's boundary was 32)

It's reassuring that we got the same answer! I definitely got less than 51/60 due to running out of time. I think the boundary will be around 42-45/60. My whole class round it very hard so I assume the boundaries will be rather low.
I also enjoy the Statistics papers so I hope that will also increase my mark. I don't do Discrete but I do Mechanics instead and last year for that the boundary was 35/60 for an A. Mechanics is probably my hardest FM paper so I hope this years paper isn't too challenging!!

Good luck with your Stats and Discrete :smile:
Yeah the rest of my class hated it (most of them are predicted As but expecting Bs) so I'm hopeful. Im definitely under 56 (did something on every question but the coplanar one), but don't really expect more than 45 as there's a few I know I got wrong/ didn't finish but I hope I get some partials

Good luck on Stats and Mech! Hope you get what you want
Original post by Loci Pi
It's reassuring that we got the same answer! I definitely got less than 51/60 due to running out of time. I think the boundary will be around 42-45/60. My whole class round it very hard so I assume the boundaries will be rather low.
I also enjoy the Statistics papers so I hope that will also increase my mark. I don't do Discrete but I do Mechanics instead and last year for that the boundary was 35/60 for an A. Mechanics is probably my hardest FM paper so I hope this years paper isn't too challenging!!

Good luck with your Stats and Discrete :smile:
Reply 29
Yeah the rest of my class hated it (most of them are predicted As but expecting Bs) so I'm hopeful. Im definitely under 56 (did something on every question but the coplanar one), but don't really expect more than 45 as there's a few I know I got wrong/ didn't finish but I hope I get some partials

Good luck on Stats and Mech! Hope you get what you want

Reply 30
For the question what was the smallest value of the area of the shape after the matrix transformation, what did everyone get?
People in my class are arguing over what the correct answer was for that one.
I got 16 or whatever the original area was. I found the determinant in terms of x, differentiated to get turning points at 0,-1,1. Found that -1 and 1 were local minimums using second derivative test- and so the area was the same (as a -1 det would give the same area but reverse orientation)
Original post by Loci Pi
For the question what was the smallest value of the area of the shape after the matrix transformation, what did everyone get?
Reply 32
I got 16 or whatever the original area was. I found the determinant in terms of x, differentiated to get turning points at 0,-1,1. Found that -1 and 1 were local minimums using second derivative test- and so the area was the same (as a -1 det would give the same area but reverse orientation)

Same here. Thanks so much - I was starting to panic that I'd lost all 6 marks!!

UPDATE: It turns out I somehow did the correct method but misread the original area from the question paper but got the scale factor right! Just multiplied 16 by a wrong Original Area!! How many marks do you think I'll lose?

One of the really smart people in my class got like 292 or something and I was so worried in case I'd lost all those marks!
(edited 4 years ago)
I got the area to be 192 because the x values were 0, -1 and 1 which gave a determinant of 16 for x=1 and x=-1. Then I did 16x12 = 192.
Original post by Loci Pi
Reply 34
Original post by Masterchief1345
I got the area to be 192 because the x values were 0, -1 and 1 which gave a determinant of 16 for x=1 and x=-1. Then I did 16x12 = 192.

Wait the original area was 12??????
I must have put something in my calulator wrong i did the same method but misread the original area or something how many marks will i lose? I got the Minimum Scale Factor bit right but i misread the original area so i multiplied it by the wrong original area.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think it was although now I'm not entirely sure. I definitely remember getting the determinant as 16 but its possible that i misread the area and did it wrong
Original post by Loci Pi
Wait the original area was 12??????
I must have put something in my calulator wrong i did the same method but misread the original area or something how many marks will i lose? I got the Minimum Scale Factor bit right but i misread the original area so i multiplied it by the wrong original area.
Reply 36
Original post by Masterchief1345
I think it was although now I'm not entirely sure. I definitely remember getting the determinant as 16 but its possible that i misread the area and did it wrong

I don't even know. But in exams I often misread numbers and stuff when I'm rushing the questions, so its probably me who's read it wrong. As long as the method to get the Scale Factor was right then hopefully it should still be 4/6 or 5/6 still, but I just really want an A so I can't afford to be dropping many marks especially since I already lost some through running out of time!!

Hopefully that A boundary will be quite low or a nice Stats Paper :smile:
Yeah same I reckon the A boundary will be lower. I'm doing the stats paper too and mechanics I hope that they are not too bad
Original post by Loci Pi
I don't even know. But in exams I often misread numbers and stuff when I'm rushing the questions, so its probably me who's read it wrong. As long as the method to get the Scale Factor was right then hopefully it should still be 4/6 or 5/6 still, but I just really want an A so I can't afford to be dropping many marks especially since I already lost some through running out of time!!

Hopefully that A boundary will be quite low or a nice Stats Paper :smile:
I found it way harder then I expected, at least I’m not the only one :redface:
Reply 39
Original post by CharlieWilde1
I found it way harder then I expected, at least I’m not the only one :redface:

You're not alone there!

I found it funny how they gave rather nice questions for the first 2 questions, then OCR suddenly turned NASTY and gave us all those Matrices!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending