The Student Room Group

Worried about commuting to uni

Hi all,

I will hopefully be going to the Uni of Manchester in September. My course is comprised of around 12 hours on campus.

I will be commuting to uni by train, due to caring responsibility I have at home. However, it will take me around 1hr 15 mins (one way) to commute.

I’m worried that I am going to burn myself out - is this doable? I don’t really have any other choice.

Thanks
More than doable. I do a longer commute than this (also via train) and it's not particularly tiring or stressful. I use the time to read (whether a book or notes) or listen to music.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

I will hopefully be going to the Uni of Manchester in September. My course is comprised of around 12 hours on campus.

I will be commuting to uni by train, due to caring responsibility I have at home. However, it will take me around 1hr 15 mins (one way) to commute.

I’m worried that I am going to burn myself out - is this doable? I don’t really have any other choice.

Thanks

I don't really understand this, if I'm honest. If you really 'don't have any other choice', then there's not much point worrying about it. It's doable, but it's not going to be particularly pleasant. But you know this already, surely?

How many days are you in (it's days, rather than hours which are important). Three, or four per week?
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
I don't really understand this, if I'm honest. If you really 'don't have any other choice', then there's not much point worrying about it. It's doable, but it's not going to be particularly pleasant. But you know this already, surely?

How many days are you in (it's days, rather than hours which are important). Three, or four per week?

Not sure how many days I’m in yet. I haven’t received a timetable or anything.
Reply 4
Original post by sinfonietta
More than doable. I do a longer commute than this (also via train) and it's not particularly tiring or stressful. I use the time to read (whether a book or notes) or listen to music.

Ah cool, this makes me feel a little better. What’s your timetable like?
I have been commuting to my uni this year taking roughly 1 and a half/ 2hours depending on weather and I’ve honestly hated it. Especially during the winter when trains and buses were delayed/cancelled. However my time table was rubbish, with long gaps, e.g. 9am - 11am classes then a break to 2pm-4pm/4pm-6pm classes & the 5hr gap was especially awful to try and fill. It was all rather tedious and tiring so I’m living near to the uni next year. But I did save quite a bit of money commuting, something I’ll miss next year!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

Thanks

Hey, well done gon getting your place at uni! I think this is doable as i do know other people who do a similar commute, however you will be tired. I would just make sure you factor in so chill time for yourself as well to ensure you doing get over tired :smile:.
Good Luck!
Sophia

Quick Reply

Latest