The Student Room Group

Is it worth going to a far university instead of near one?

Hi guys, I am starting my business course, and I have to decide which university is worth going:
-Birmingham City University (business)
-Coventry University (business and management)

From where i live BCU Is 1 hour and coventry is 1.30/2 hours and based on the reviews coventry University is considered better for business course than BCU.
I don’t know if to go to an average uni (BCU) but near or to go to a better uni (Coventry) but far from home.
I want to know if the travel time is an issue when studying at the university, does the uni really gets makes busy with its assignment, study, homework... ecc.

So is it worth travelling from 1 to 2 hours more per day to go to a better university???

Please guys give some advice!!
Original post by PreetSingh
Hi guys, I am starting my business course, and I have to decide which university is worth going:

From where i live BCU Is 1 hour and coventry is 1.30/2 hours and based on the reviews coventry University is considered better for business course than BCU.
I don’t know if to go to an average uni (BCU) but near or to go to a better uni (Coventry) but far from home.
I want to know if the travel time is an issue when studying at the university, does the uni really gets makes busy with its assignment, study, homework... ecc.

So is it worth travelling from 1 to 2 hours more per day to go to a better university???

I wouldnt commute more than an hour and hate it even then.
Considering your choice of unis, then I would apply for a course with foundation year if it got me into a better year or resit.
Why cant you resit and just get better grades?
What other unis are close to you?

my uni was a 7 hours train ride from home. it was great.
Reply 3
There are other unis, but I made these two my choices based on grades
i live smack bang in the middle of bcu and coventry uni (my mum actually lectures in coventry and she used to lecture at bcu !) so basically, they’re not incredibly far from each other, yes an extra 30 minutes/45 if it’s rush hour but they’re both very accessible from each other! choose where ever you see yourself fitting for the next few years

however i do understand that commuting might make this different and so affect your choice! idk if this helped haha!
Original post by A Rolling Stone

That's a long commute :wink:
Can't you live in halls? At 1hr30 home it would be very easy to go every weekend if you wanted.

Tbh, they are both pretty close in distance from you really (it's not like a difference of 4 or 5 hours).

Go the university you prefer (and try not to rely solely on reputation). Is there a reason that you can't live in halls?
Original post by A Rolling Stone

It was my understanding they mean a daily commute.

I'd go to Coventry but get halls any commute over 30 mins would really not help you out academically or in your social life.

Hi PreetSingh,

I studied Business (with Marketing) at BCU myself, and commuted here every day. I don’t drive, so I had to get the train in. In my first year I was commuting to the old City North campus, which wasn’t ideal as I had to get two trains, but the new City Centre campus (where our Business School is), is great. It’s about a 10 minute walk from all three city centre train stations, and New Street in particular has a lot of trains arriving in the morning and afternoon. How are you planning on commuting?

I really enjoyed my time at BCU, and really benefited from the placement year option. I ended up working in the marketing department of the Business, Law and Social Sciences faculty, and it went so well I am now back here in a permanent role! Another graduate from my course went on to be a Marketing Manager at Columbia Records. Plus, the BA (Hons) Business course just got a 100% student satisfaction score in the National Student Survey 2018.

Have you been to an open day? It’s the best way to see what both Uni’s have to offer. Every course is different, so we may have some modules or features that Coventry don’t, and vice versa. We have one coming up on June 29th if you’re interested.

If you have any questions though, let me know!

Keegan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending