The Student Room Group

Physics Edexcel Unit 1 (Old syllabus) 14 May 2019 (WPH01)

Hey guys, how was your edexcel physics unit 1 (old syllabus) (WPH01) exam?

This was the last sitting for this syllabus so i hope we all pass with our desired grade! Any predictions for the grade boundary?

Edit: I forgot to mention in the title that this is an IAL exam
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do u remember the answerr for the YM extension question? was the final answer to the power of -4 or -5
Reply 2
Original post by 686868t
Do u remember the answerr for the YM extension question? was the final answer to the power of -4 or -5

I can’t remember exactly but my calculated answer was
sth x 10^-4 m which i converted to mm since the question asked for it.
Reply 3
Original post by 686868t

Also what was the value for force? The rope was 70 degree to the vertical. Did i have to calculate the Tension or did i have to use the weight only? I might lose 1/2 marks in this question.
Reply 4
Original post by ree.x09
I can’t remember exactly but my calculated answer was
sth x 10^-4 m which i converted to mm since the question asked for it.

if i wrote that 1 mm is 1 X 10-3 and my answer is less so its safe would that be okay if i didnt convert it ?
Reply 5
Original post by ree.x09
Also what was the value for force? The rope was 70 degree to the vertical. Did i have to calculate the Tension or did i have to use the weight only? I might lose 1/2 marks in this question.

weight is equal to the tension in the rope since the painting doesnt move. each side was 10.8 cos 70
Reply 6
Original post by 686868t
if i wrote that 1 mm is 1 X 10-3 and my answer is less so its safe would that be okay if i didnt convert it ?

Oh i remembered now, my value for the extension was around 0.76mm so i wrote its safe since 0.76mm>1mm

And i think you did have to convert your answer. Or convert 1mm to m.
Can you recall if the original length was in metre or mm?
Cross sectional area was in meter.
Original post by 686868t

no
Reply 8
Original post by ree.x09
Oh i remembered now, my value for the extension was around 0.76mm so i wrote its safe since 0.76mm>1mm

And i think you did have to convert your answer. Or convert 1mm to m.
Can you recall if the original length was in metre or mm?
Cross sectional area was in meter.

it was in metres i think
Reply 9
Original post by 686868t
weight is equal to the tension in the rope since the painting doesnt move. each side was 10.8 cos 70

**** i calculated the value for tension
but i used only 10.8 for the value of force so i will lose mark and my answer is not correct then.
Reply 10
i so hope the grade boundary for an A is in the late 40’s (47-48). what do u guys think
Reply 11
Original post by 686868t
it was in metres i think

you had to convert your answer to mm and compare it with 1mm.

OR, you could convert 1mm to m and compare your answer to it.
Reply 12
what about the energy question when you had to explain why the gpe is much less than the total energy thing question
Reply 13
Original post by 686868t
i so hope the grade boundary for an A is in the late 40’s (47-48). what do u guys think

I hope the sameeee.
Reply 14
Original post by 686868t
what about the energy question when you had to explain why the gpe is much less than the total energy thing question

Ugh i had only 2 mins left when i was answering that.
I couldn’t even read the question properly. I just wrote the principle of conservation and wrote that some of the enery have converted to heat energy.
Reply 15
Do u think alot of people couldnt finish the exam?
Reply 16
i don’t think so.
How did you answer the projectile question?
how did you calculate the horizontal component?
Original post by ree.x09
**** i calculated the value for tension
but i used only 10.8 for the value of force so i will lose mark and my answer is not correct then.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttt, was the value for extension = 1.8 mm ?
Cz I think I didn't take the components, is it wrong ?
Reply 18
Original post by nerdnerdvirgin
no

How was your exam?
Reply 19
Original post by arhamfaisal
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttt, was the value for extension = 1.8 mm ?
Cz I think I didn't take the components, is it wrong ?

Yeah wrong ☹️
i didnt take the component either, i used F=10.8N
but my final answer was still somehow less than 1mm. So i wrote its safe.

Quick Reply

Latest