The Student Room Group

I give up on my GCSEs.

In Year 11, I took my GCSE exams. I failed every single one; not even one 4.

So I started at College in September last year, and I'm forced to do Maths and English. I've put all the effort in, spent nights just revising, asked teachers for help and so on but... I'm no closer to passing than I was last year.

And I've tried everything. Past papers (they never help), R.C.R (read, cover, repeat), writing down notes and putting them on my wall, etc. I've also tried 1-to-1 Tuition, but it never works, and I honestly just hate it.

So I've decided to give up on them. All it does is stress me out and upset me, and regardless of how much effort I put in, I never get anything out of it.

I have an exam next week, I won't go in. Because whether I do or don't, I'll always get the same result.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ethandrawsyt

So I started at College in September last year, and I'm forced to do Maths and English. I've put all the effort in, spent nights just revising, asked teachers for help and so on but... I'm no closer to passing than I was last year.

And I've tried everything. Past papers (they never help), R.C.R (read, cover, repeat), writing down notes and putting them on my wall, etc.

So I've decided to give up on them. All it does is stress me out and upset me, and regardless of how much effort I put in, I never get anything out of it.

I have an exam next week, I won't go in. Because whether I do or don't, I'll always get the same result.

Having put all of that effort in, it seems daft not to attend the exams and see what happens.
You do run the risk of being removed from your college if you simply don't turn up for the exams.
Talk to your college about alternative maths and English qualifications you could work on such as functional skills.
Original post by gdunne42
Having put all of that effort in, it seems daft not to attend the exams and see what happens.
You do run the risk of being removed from your college if you simply don't turn up for the exams.
Talk to your college about alternative maths and English qualifications you could work on such as functional skills.

I don't need to "see what happens" when I know full well what Will happen.
he dude in a similar boat as you i just need to pass maths give it ago honestly english will be easy and maths requires a bit of thought

And I've tried everything. Past papers (they never help), R.C.R (read, cover, repeat), writing down notes and putting them on my wall, etc. I've also tried 1-to-1 Tuition, but it never works, and I honestly just hate it.

You're acting as if passing Maths and English requires a lot of hard work and skill. Sorry to be so harsh, but if you just pay attention in class and do homework you don't even need to revise as it's so easy to get a 4
It may be easy for someone like you. But for me? Not so much.
Reply 6
I think you shouldn’t give up bro
If you don't go you're guaranteed to fail. If you go and give it your best shot there's a chance you'll pass.

Don't throw away this chance. Having a GCSE in maths and English is important.
I'm pretty sure you get charged like £65 for every exam you miss (without a good reason)
What do you expect people to say? If we tell you to give it a go you're just going to say "but I already know what will happen".

It's clear you're just writing this for attention. If not, take the advice and go in for your exam
sure thing
If you think I wrote this for attention, you're sorely mistaken.
Original post by SpringPug
What do you expect people to say? If we tell you to give it a go you're just going to say "but I already know what will happen".

It's clear you're just writing this for attention. If not, take the advice and go in for your exam
You should go sit the exam. Dont let the fear of failure unmotivate you from your potential and don't let your hard work go to waste jus like dat.
If you think I wrote this for attention, you're sorely mistaken.

What did you write it for then?
Because I thought that someone might be able to help. Admittedly, I could have worded it better.

Again, I didn't make this post for "attention".
Because I thought that someone might be able to help. Admittedly, I could have worded it better.

Again, I didn't make this post for "attention".

People have tried to help - go to your exam. What other advice are you expecting?
Firstly, don't act so rude towards me; I haven't been towards you so there's no need for that.

Secondly, any advice that could help, really. How to keep motivated, Why i shouldn't quit. That kind of thing.
Firstly, don't act so rude towards me; I haven't been towards you so there's no need for that.

Secondly, any advice that could help, really. How to keep motivated, Why i shouldn't quit. That kind of thing.

I'm not being rude, I'm pointing out that people are telling you to go to your exam and you're just giving up.
Uh, you are. So please don't. You're really not helping.
Original post by Huckipity
Then if you're genuinely working, how do you revise? If you're working really hard and still not even passing I'd recommend contacting your school or doctor and have a chat with them as it definitely shouldn't be this hard for you. Good luck

To say this isn't really fair on the OP, some people struggle more than others.

Quick Reply

Latest