The Student Room Group

Why is there no further chemistry, like there is maths?

I'm just curious. I know that it would totally be a useful subject; I mean, FC would be so useful if you wanted to do something like chemical engineering?

Are there any other chemistry qualifications that are above A2 chem but not quite university level?
Good question, surely it was someone like Einstein who said this about the scientific hierarchy ....

Maths is everything, Physics is Applied Maths, and Chemistry is applied Physics ... I'm not sure if he eventually got down to 'science of economics' :-)
The argument could be applied to any subject in theory, the development of Further Maths however was due to a higher requirement by universities for students to have more extensive mathematical background for a wide range of STEM subjects (and some besides) - particularly complex numbers, matrices, infinite series and more calculus and vectors experience. It's quite common elsewhere in the world for students to study these topics in high school. Additionally for mathematics degrees, the nature of university level mathematics is very different from A-level, so they would then need to simultaneously continue developing maths in the "A-level style" while also trying to introduce students to the abstraction inherent in university level pure maths. It's easier if they already know this.

For chemistry though, there is I suppose less benefit because chemistry isn't as widely necessary (I'd note your example is in fact a poor one; chemical engineering is mostly maths, and has very little chemistry involved), and there is plenty of "space" on the few degrees requiring a chemical background to develop either individual topics as needed (e.g. chemical/materials engineering or bioscience courses) or to prepare the full breadth of the subject (in chemistry itself), which largely dovetails directly to the A-level subject (unlike the case of degree level mathematics).

If you are interested in chemistry and developing your knowledge beyond the A-level syllabus, you can look into e.g. Chemistry Olympiads or science fairs otherwise which may give you the opportunity to do so. You can also read more widely around and within the subject to develop your knowledge. @Royal Society of Chemistry may be able to offer some more advice on this.
Original post by LuigiMario
Maths is everything, Physics is Applied Maths, and Chemistry is applied Physics ...

i heard an alternative one from an undergraduate stem student "biology becomes chemistry, chemistry becomes physics, physics becomes maths and maths just goes off on one"
Original post by ColtTheWolf
I'm just curious. I know that it would totally be a useful subject; I mean, FC would be so useful if you wanted to do something like chemical engineering?

Are there any other chemistry qualifications that are above A2 chem but not quite university level?

Why would you ever want to subject yourself to torture like this? Further Chemistry? Wouldn't you rather burn yourself alive??
Further Physics would be Hell on Earth.
Original post by neuronal
Why would you ever want to subject yourself to torture like this? Further Chemistry? Wouldn't you rather burn yourself alive??

I know that a lot of people find chemistry to be a nightmare, but it's my passion. I feel pure excitement when I sit down and do chemistry. It works in my head. I really really really enjoy it.

For me, mathematics is VERY difficult. Further mathematics, I couldn't comprehend. I think that is torture but some people love it!
Original post by ColtTheWolf
I know that a lot of people find chemistry to be a nightmare, but it's my passion. I feel pure excitement when I sit down and do chemistry. It works in my head. I really really really enjoy it.

For me, mathematics is VERY difficult. Further mathematics, I couldn't comprehend. I think that is torture but some people love it!

Lmao, I'm the opposite: my brain loves maths a lot more than chemistry.

Well fair play to you mate, we need lots of chemists in the world, plus you're bound to get a great job with it. Have fun memorising all those...carbon structures
Yeah, memorizing structures and all can be quite a pain in the ass, and it's probably the worst part of chem lol
Original post by neuronal
Lmao, I'm the opposite: my brain loves maths a lot more than chemistry.

Well fair play to you mate, we need lots of chemists in the world, plus you're bound to get a great job with it. Have fun memorising all those...carbon structures
further chemistry is further maths
If there was A level further chemistry I would do it not sure I would be that good at it though aha but I'd give it a go

Quick Reply

Latest