The Student Room Group

How to explain to my family that I don't have an eating disorder.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
To be completely honest:
Yes. Around 800-1000. 165cm
Is this actually as bad as eveyone is saying?

Very bad.

I'm only an inch taller than you, 30lbs heavier, and still look skinny. What you're doing is extreme.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 21
To be completely honest:
Yes. Around 800-1000. 165cm
Is this actually as bad as eveyone is saying?

Can't say if it is as bad or isn't. But there's no question that you're already underweight for your height - your minimum healthy weight is 50kg, and if you're at 45kg and deliberately skipping meals and consuming very few calories it's definitely doing you no good at all.

I think you need to go back to your doctor and be honest about this. They're there to help and their priority is you - not ensuring you're out of the door within 10 minutes.
I have anorexia, it’s been 5 years since I was diagnosed and received help for it. Honestly I wish someone helped me sooner bc it seemed like all of a sudden my life was pants, I was removed from school and chucked in hospital. I told myself I would eat when I’m at my goal weight, when I’m not fat, I got to that weight and went even lower. Its so hard to get out of that mindset, the fact that your GP is concerned about your weight, as it’s too low, but you think you’re fat and that you are purposely trying to loose weight is an indicator on an ED. I’m not diagnosing you, I just want to help, because when you get to the weight you want (which is inevitably unhealthy) you won’t be able to eat “normally” again all of a sudden. You’re worth so much more than your weight, don’t fall down this rabbit hole, it’s an absolute living hell. Get help, now. You need to go back to your GP and be honest, you need to be a healthy weight. There is so many repercussions, that affect the rest of your life too, that you can get for being underweight. I’m only 20 and I have the bones of someone in their 60s. Please, please get help.

Can i PM you?
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
Yes, and the fact you only consume 1000 calories a day is so incredibly dangerous I cannot explain it.

6 y/o children are recommended 1200-2200, you are consuming less than a 6 y/o should

Omg really :frown:
But i don't know how to eat more
Omg really :frown:
But i don't know how to eat more

Split your meals up into smaller meals, and ensure each meal is 300cals minimum, if you eat 5 smaller meals instead of 3 big meals you are at 1500cals that's a great start. You won't be used more than that and you will feel sick, so start slow and build it up week by week. So week 2, 350cals per meal. until eventually you can eat 3 meals, adding up to 2000cals minimum, that is a healthy amount.
Split your meals up into smaller meals, and ensure each meal is 300cals minimum, if you eat 5 smaller meals instead of 3 big meals you are at 1500cals that's a great start. You won't be used more than that and you will feel sick, so start slow and build it up week by week. So week 2, 350cals per meal. until eventually you can eat 3 meals, adding up to 2000cals minimum, that is a healthy amount.

But then I'll gain weight and all the fat that i lost before I kinda don't want to look like before
But then I'll gain weight and all the fat that i lost before I kinda don't want to look like before

Read my earlier post where I explained. You need fat, it's unhealthy to not have fat, and if you think 1500cals is gonna make you gain fat, no it won't. I consume 3500cals daily, and I'm 12% bf.

The secret is to work out alongside it to put on muscle to make yourself more toned. And before you say it, you're not going to look muscled like a man.

I was 40kg when I was 15, I'm now 79kg, trust me, I know all about this.
Read my earlier post where I explained. You need fat, it's unhealthy to not have fat, and if you think 1500cals is gonna make you gain fat, no it won't. I consume 3500cals daily, and I'm 12% bf.

The secret is to work out alongside it to put on muscle to make yourself more toned. And before you say it, you're not going to look muscled like a man.

I was 40kg when I was 15, I'm now 79kg, trust me, I know all about this.

Yeah i read it before. So you're suggesting instead of decreasing calory intake i work out more
Yeah i read it before. So you're suggesting instead of decreasing calory intake i work out more

Exactly, if you're working out you will burn more calories, burn fat and increase muscle mass. You win in every way. For now you need to put weight on and then focus on sorting out losing any fat.
Exactly, if you're working out you will burn more calories, burn fat and increase muscle mass. You win in every way. For now you need to put weight on and then focus on sorting out losing any fat.

Okay thanks I'll try
What is your target weight?
Do you cook your own food?

I'm 5'1, my weight is similar to yours and hasn't increased in the last 10 years.
Original post by londonmyst
What is your target weight?
Do you cook your own food?

I'm 5'1, my weight is similar to yours and hasn't increased in the last 10 years.

I don't know. I don't have a target weight, I just want to lose some fat around my stomach and hips.
No i don't cook

Is it because you've tried to maintain your weight?
What do you eat normally and how much?
I don't know. I don't have a target weight, I just want to lose some fat around my stomach and hips.
No i don't cook

Is it because you've tried to maintain your weight?
What do you eat normally and how much?

I cook most of my meals from scratch, restrict takeaways and get a lot of exercise working with dogs.
I eat twice a day and drink a daily 500ml bottle of coke to keep up my energy levels.
I drink a lot of water throughout the day and only eat fried foods a few times a month.
Meals with water or apple juice with breakfast.

I eat vegan ice cream and drink soya milk with fortified vitamins.
Instead of fried, I grill my meat and eat raw salads with no oil dressing or mayonnaise.
I enjoy very spicy foods; eating lots of onions, garlic and chilli really helps with keeping my metabolic rate high.
I prefer white meat (chicken and fish) and beef.
Can i PM you?

Hiya, it’s me :smile: and sure you can. And in regards to if they helped, honestly no. I have never received therapy, the only reason I was able to get back on track the past few years was bc of my mum and experiences from hospital I never want to relive. X
But then what's the point...all my effort will have gone to waste if I eat like they want me to.
My GP thinks it's low, i don't think it is. it's around 45kg but I'm not bothered about the weight I just have some fat in my lower abdomen and hips all I really want it to get rid of that
I wouldn't mind if my weight was 50kg and my body was like how I want, it's not about the weight you get me.
My aim is not to look skinny or bony

In that case not eating would not only not help but even may cause even more fat storage in the places you don't want because your body is not getting enough fat and sugar and enters an 'emergency' mode when it stores as much fat as possible to use it later when you basically starving yourself.

The best this for you is sport activity and gaining muscle weight instead of fat weight. Speak to your parents about joining a group or a gym with a professional trainer, in addition talk with a naturopath or a dietitian about a better diet for you, it should help more.
The top bit is incorrect. I am 155CM or around 5 foot and 45KG and my GP said I am at a healthy weight plus I don't feel unwell or anything and I am quite health conscious though my mum constantly badgers me for how much I eat... Saying that every single person has their own scenario
Right, time to give you a lesson, you are 45kg, unless you are under 4'5" (legally a dwarf) you are underweight, bordering severely-underweight. It is the result of an eating disorder and from the sounds of things, your dietary habits are questionable at best.

Firstly, I want to make this clear anorexia is an eating disorder. Anorexia nervosa is a psychological mental disorder characterized by self-starvation and extreme dieting. As you have said you wanted to lose weight and you will not eat normally until you achieve your goal, the fact you have reached a very unhealthy low weight indicates you have anorexia. However, I am not a clinical psychologist, so I won't pass diagnosis.

You have an eating disorder. Get that clear in your mind before

This is what you do: You start to eat 3 separate meals a day, you balance your protein as 1.5g per kg of bodyweight, and your carbs at 2.5g per kg of your bodyweight PER DAY. You also make sure to consume at least 1900 calories a day. This is a low amount of calories but your body isn't used to lots of food from the sounds of things.

You need an exercise routine to tone out your body, and to stop an excess fat. Start with light weights, 8-10 reps and 3-5 sets of exercises, this will allow for the most hypertrophy (muscle growth) and allow to better tonality in the muscles.

Women typically carry more fat around the abdomen and the hips, this is natural, and genetic, you cannot change it, but you can reduce the amount and put on muscle in those regions to appear slimmer.

Seriously, you clearly know nothing about healthily losing weight and it has resulted in a clear eating disorder. Eggs, Chicken, Rice, Pasta, all have to be your best friends now, in order to reach a healthy weight and get the body you want.

I know this seems harsh, but I've been where you are, and I recovered.

See your doctor again, be honest with them, also see a dietician, they will help you. But stop kidding yourself, your weight is unhealthy, your BMI is only skewed in the case you are extremely muscular as muscles are denser than fat.
Unless you are short 45kg is not enough. I am 5'7/8 and I was around 44-45kg a few years ago. I didn't eat enough because I was very depressed. I looked awful. People would say very nasty things to me (this does not help please don't body shame people it makes things worse). You could see it in my face, not just my body.

I'm now around 52kg and look good.

If a doctor has said to you that you're thin but you still want to lose weight, something is wrong. It may be just how you view yourself. I suggest you start working out. Your body will tone up and you'll be heavier but look better and appear slimmer.
Original post by AstronomyAustin
The top bit is incorrect. I am 155CM or around 5 foot and 45KG and my GP said I am at a healthy weight plus I don't feel unwell or anything and I am quite health conscious though my mum constantly badgers me for how much I eat... Saying that every single person has their own scenario

It's still classed as underweight, but not as severely as OP, you are much closer to healthy as you are shorter.
I mean I tend to merge lunch & dinner at around 5 ish only because I find it inconvenient to eat out at uni when I'm trying to do work. But if i feel like I'm starving I'll eat something
It's 45kg, I've seen lower at my age I don't think it's that low despite what the BMI tells you
My weight has always been on the low side anyway I don't think the BMI accounts for that. And like I said before it's not about weight, just how my body looks

Sorry, but you weigh 7st. That is very low, unless you are about 4ft tall. I think you need to listen to your parents and your GP and understand that you might, actually, have a problem. Nobody who weighs 7st should be actively trying to lose weight. I think I was that weight before I left primary school. Sorry but you have to be honest and truthful with yourself. Unless you are 5'2" or smaller, you are classed as underweight, and should actually be trying to gain rather than lose.
Original post by Kathy89
In that case not eating would not only not help but even may cause even more fat storage in the places you don't want because your body is not getting enough fat and sugar and enters an 'emergency' mode when it stores as much fat as possible to use it later when you basically starving yourself.

"Emergency mode" or "starvation mode" really isn't a thing, you know. Or not in the way people explain it, at least. Think about it. If it was, everyone with anorexia, or children in Africa, would be fat. Your body is a machine. Metabolism may work more efficiently if calorie intake is healthy, however it can not and does not hold onto fat if it's not getting enough nutrition - that's like saying a car holds onto fuel if it's nearly empty. It just doesn't work like that. Fat loss may be a little more efficient if the body is getting a healthy calorie intake, but tbh the difference really is negligible at best. Read up on it, proper, scientific stuff, and see what you think. It's a huge myth, trust me.

Quick Reply

Latest