The Student Room Group

OCR A level English Literature 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wooord
I have no idea! My first thought is that yes, you can as long as the text is part of the gothic genre. Hopefully someone can answer your question properly, since I’m not a teacher or examiner

Don’t worry, my good friend! I’ve done it in a mock exam, so hopefully I’ll know after it’s marked 😂
Original post by HazzleBazzle
Don’t worry, my good friend! I’ve done it in a mock exam, so hopefully I’ll know after it’s marked 😂

Do let us know when you find out!!!
Original post by k.owsar
Paper 1:
Hamlet
Duchess of Malfi and Coleridge

Paper 2:
Unseen dystopia
THMT and 1984

How do you find Hamlet?
Reply 23
Original post by Wooord
How do you find Hamlet?

With Hamlet, I think I’m pretty ok with 1b like knowing my critics and stuff but the problem seems to be section 1a where you have to analyse the extract. My mind just goes blank😂 hope OCR bless us with a good extract!
Any predictions for Hamlet?
Same I’m struggling with Hamlet, my scores are lower in it than for my other texts and I don’t know why
Reply 25
Original post by starsonia2
Same I’m struggling with Hamlet, my scores are lower in it than for my other texts and I don’t know why

Honeslty same I don’t like Hamlet at all! What other texts do you do?
Original post by k.owsar
Honeslty same I don’t like Hamlet at all! What other texts do you do?

I do Ideal husband, Rossetti, Age of Innocence and gatsby
Original post by k.owsar
With Hamlet, I think I’m pretty ok with 1b like knowing my critics and stuff but the problem seems to be section 1a where you have to analyse the extract. My mind just goes blank😂 hope OCR bless us with a good extract!
Any predictions for Hamlet?

Same!! Honestly i ain’t trying to start exam season off with a **** extract😩 I struggle mostly on 1b tbh. For 1a is literally just practice for me, the more you do, the quicker you can point out good points/the more you understand what you need to look out for. My teacher had predicted either the Gravedigger scene, or towards the end (fight scene). Idk though I’m a bit weary of that
Original post by starsonia2

Watch as much productions as you can! This helped me to fully understand the play. For 1a I just try to do consistent practice, I open the book randomly and what ever page it lands on, i analyze that. I struggle with the second section so I can’t really give any advice for that one
Reply 29
Original post by Wooord
Same!! Honestly i ain’t trying to start exam season off with a **** extract😩 I struggle mostly on 1b tbh. For 1a is literally just practice for me, the more you do, the quicker you can point out good points/the more you understand what you need to look out for. My teacher had predicted either the Gravedigger scene, or towards the end (fight scene). Idk though I’m a bit weary of that

Omg my friend literally predicted the same thing. She said she has this weird feeling that it’s going to be the Gravedigger scene. But who knows? Examiners always like to throw random s*** into the exam!!!
Reply 30
Original post by Wooord
Watch as much productions as you can! This helped me to fully understand the play. For 1a I just try to do consistent practice, I open the book randomly and what ever page it lands on, i analyze that. I struggle with the second section so I can’t really give any advice for that one

I would advise you guys for 1b to literally get some paper and write down diff theories e.g Freud, feminist using the internet and also find different stage interpretations as this forms a part of your A05. That’s what I’m basically doing to revise that part.?
how many paragraphs do you guys write in your comparative essays?
Reply 32
Original post by Deliciate
how many paragraphs do you guys write in your comparative essays?

For me I structure my comparative essays like this:
-Intro
-3 main body paragraphs with links to the other text in each paragraph
-Conclusion
Original post by k.owsar
For me I structure my comparative essays like this:
-Intro
-3 main body paragraphs with links to the other text in each paragraph
-Conclusion

yeah that's typically the structure i try to follow. the only thing is that i sometimes run out of time and end up doing 2 really in depth comparisons instead of 3. my teacher said it's fine to do this but whenever i get essay feedback she always writes 'more comparisons'. Do you do mini-comparisons within the body of each paragraph (are you constantly linking back to the other text) or do you do one overarching comparison in each para?
Reply 34
Original post by Deliciate
yeah that's typically the structure i try to follow. the only thing is that i sometimes run out of time and end up doing 2 really in depth comparisons instead of 3. my teacher said it's fine to do this but whenever i get essay feedback she always writes 'more comparisons'. Do you do mini-comparisons within the body of each paragraph (are you constantly linking back to the other text) or do you do one overarching comparison in each para?

Yeah I constantly link back to the text as a mini comparison so basically I write about one text and then I quickly follow it up with a comparison. You can either make a point and compare or you can write about one of the text and then make a mini comparison separately. Personally I just do mini comparisons with my main body. That way I can show the examiner that I’m constantly comparing.
I hope this make sense😂
Original post by k.owsar
Yeah I constantly link back to the text as a mini comparison so basically I write about one text and then I quickly follow it up with a comparison. You can either make a point and compare or you can write about one of the text and then make a mini comparison separately. Personally I just do mini comparisons with my main body. That way I can show the examiner that I’m constantly comparing.
I hope this make sense😂

i gotchu. yeah imma try to make quick links to the other text within the paragraph just to make sure i dont get marked down for not having enough comparisons. thank you! :smile:
Reply 36
drama and poetry pre-1900: Duchess of Malfi & Merchant’s Tale, Hamlet

comparative and contextual: Unseen American, Gatsby & Age of Innocence.
I’m so stressed about English because I just cannot get my marks up. I really want an A but I would say I’m sitting on a B right now and I don’t know what to do. I’ve been making essay plans but I just don’t know if they’re good enough and I find revising Malfi/Chaucer difficult because of the need for context. Plus the part B of the Shakespeare because it’s only 15 marks but you still need a developed essay with lots of AO5. I just don’t know what else to do?? Any tips from anyone??
Original post by akmk

I’m so stressed about English because I just cannot get my marks up. I really want an A but I would say I’m sitting on a B right now and I don’t know what to do. I’ve been making essay plans but I just don’t know if they’re good enough and I find revising Malfi/Chaucer difficult because of the need for context. Plus the part B of the Shakespeare because it’s only 15 marks but you still need a developed essay with lots of AO5. I just don’t know what else to do?? Any tips from anyone??

What is it about the context - is it that you don't feel you know enough context or you struggle to know how to implement context into the essay?
Reply 38
I’m in a similar situation - I always find that the context pulls my marks down because while I know lots of context, I find integrating it very difficult - otherwise it’s just a sort of ‘bolt on’ in each paragraph and seems irrelevant... And I find both Hamlet questions hideous.

Any tips, anyone?
Original post by akmk

I'm doing hamlet, duchess of malfi and merchant and dystopia in paper 2. I hate English with a passion I'm predicted a B but there's absolutely no way I can get it Im just bad at it and cant seem to get better lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending