The Student Room Group

What do you think of the Brexit Party?

The party is just a one-trick-pony to get us of the EU but with a catch-a No Deal.

Scroll to see replies

Their website is quite clear on what they stand for..... not much. They have no manifesto, not policy documents, no detailed policies, no vision of a post-Brexit Britain.

What they want is Brexit, but they appear quite ambiguous on what the details of the Brexit they want are. Normally this would be a massive oversight, but it is deliberate. As we saw in the 2016 referendum, promise unicorns and ignore the difficult questions and you'll get votes.

We saw at the weekend what sort of man Farage is when Andrew Marr asked him various questions about his political views. Rather than address the questions he was evasive, huffy and emotional, and ranted about how the BBC is not covering the Brexit Party. A bit of a bizarre claim when he was on their flagship Sunday politics programme only a few days after appearing on Question Time (his 32nd appearance I believe). But, again, this is deliberate. His supporters lap up the establishment is against us narrative.

Of course, it comes as no surprise that Farage is so reluctant to reveal the identity of his establishment backers.

The Brexit Party are the perfect party for those that want Brexit regardless of the consequences and those who like to believe they are being persecuted by the liberal elite/establishment/the BBC/foreigners/sandal-wearing Guardian readers/bankers/avocado-munching millienals/etc.

But really they demonstrate just how vacuous populism is.
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
Their website is quite clear on what they stand for..... not much. They have no manifesto, not policy documents, no detailed policies, no vision of a post-Brexit Britain.

What they want is Brexit, but they appear quite ambiguous on what the details of the Brexit they want are. Normally this would be a massive oversight, but it is deliberate. As we saw in the 2016 referendum, promise unicorns and ignore the difficult questions and you'll get votes.

We saw at the weekend what sort of man Farage is when Andrew Marr asked him various questions about his political views. Rather than address the questions he was evasive, huffy and emotional, and ranted about how the BBC is not covering the Brexit Party. A bit of a bizarre claim when he was on their flagship Sunday politics programme only a few days after appearing on Question Time (his 32nd appearance I believe). But, again, this is deliberate. His supporters lap up the establishment is against us narrative.

Of course, it comes as no surprise that Farage is so reluctant to reveal the identity of his establishment backers.

The Brexit Party are the perfect party for those that want Brexit regardless of the consequences and those who like to believe they are being persecuted by the liberal elite/establishment/the BBC/foreigners/sandal-wearing Guardian readers/bankers/avocado-munching millienals/etc.

Carry on with the insults, they're working so well for you remainers aren't they.
And in answer to the original question then yes they may currently be a one trick pony, but that particular trick is the one that most of parliament seems reluctant to do, despite saying they would.
We gave them the chance to do so in the last election when both the Tories and Labour stood on manifesto's saying they would and we have now seen that they were lying, so if you're looking for someone to blame a mass vote for the Brexit party on then look no further than parliament itself, they are forcing our hands.
I will continue to vote for the Brexit Party in any election in which they stand until we are out, and I mean properly out, of the EU, and I have a sneaking suspicion that I am one of millions.
Original post by ColinDent
Carry on with the insults, they're working so well for you remainers aren't they.

This is such a typical response.

Trotsky's_Iceaxe made very valid criticisms of the Brexit Party. They also insulted some of the people who would vote for them. Sadly you're unable to see the real problems with the party and pass it all off as an insult.
The way I see it is that Farage just wants to continue his career as a politician/MEP and continue getting attention by the media. If you go to their website they don't actually have a manifesto or even some vague idea as to what they are standing for, other than simply supporting Brexit in some way.

If he, or any other Brexit Party MEP for that matter, truly wanted to honour the result of the referendum then they would vow to abstain from European Parliament politics if they are elected. After all, the people voted to leave the European Union and they should reflect this by not acting as European politicians (Sinn Fein do this with UK politics) . Hell, they could even donate their MEP salaries to UK charities.
Original post by SHallowvale
This is such a typical response.

Trotsky's_Iceaxe made very valid criticisms of the Brexit Party. They also insulted some of the people who would vote for them. Sadly you're unable to see the real problems with the party and pass it all off as an insult.

I see what Trotsky is saying but disagree, the insult came in the last few words, they were not required but it seems many remainers cannot resist that little dig.
I see what Trotsky is saying but disagree, the insult came in the last few words, they were not required but it seems many remainers cannot resist that little dig.

Indeed, remaniac's seem to have insecurities where they need to reinforce their own beliefs by putting others beliefs down, it happens too often to be coincidence. Remainers keep saying 'everyone' has changed their minds, well if nothing else the Brexit party proves that's a load of rubbish.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Indeed, remaniac's seem to have insecurities where they need to reinforce their own beliefs by putting others beliefs down, it happens too often to be coincidence. Remainers keep saying 'everyone' has changed their minds, well if nothing else the Brexit party proves that's a load of rubbish.

Yep I don't know one single person that has changed their minds from leave to remain, and only a couple who have changed from remain to leave.
Remainers are trying their best to denigrate the whole idea of brexit but it just is not working, at which point some of them go back to the mudslinging and name calling, it's quite sad really.
Reply 8
The way I see it is that Farage just wants to continue his career as a politician/MEP and continue getting attention by the media. If you go to their website they don't actually have a manifesto or even some vague idea as to what they are standing for, other than simply supporting Brexit in some way.

But this isn't an election for Parliament, they don't even have anybody there. You guys point the finger at them for not having an environmental policy and the likes, that is an issue only within your Remain circle. Yes, you are all very right that nobody even cares about the MEPs, this is entirely an anti-anti-Brexit stand. Yes, you've all got that one right. Now go to sleep. :biggrin:
A party run by a legend.
Farage should not have to say on national television who is giving the party money. If the donators want to be public before the Electoral commission releases data, then they can do so
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe

1. There's nothing ambiguous about being pro legal default. i.e. the UK should have left the EU on March 29th, with or without a deal, the legal criteria which nearly 500 MPs voted on two years ago.

2. For the EU elections the only policy that matters is the one regarding Brexit. See above. When it comes to a GE the Brexit Party have stated they will be releasing a full list of policies, including some for the Peterborough by election.

3. Farage answered every question posed by Andrew Marr except the handgun one. Knowing this, the reaction by journalists suggests far more that they can't stand the idea of their line of questioning being open to criticism.

4. They don't have to declare the identity of any backers before the election takes place the same way Change UK are choosing not to. Funny how they haven't been asked one question about it by the media.

5. Your penultimate paragraph is plain embarrassing.
Original post by z-hog
But this isn't an election for Parliament, they don't even have anybody there. You guys point the finger at them for not having an environmental policy and the likes, that is an issue only within your Remain circle. Yes, you are all very right that nobody even cares about the MEPs, this is entirely an anti-anti-Brexit stand. Yes, you've all got that one right. Now go to sleep. :biggrin:

Er, wrong. I don't expect them to have an environmental policy, education policy, etc. I would expect them to declare why they are running in the European Elections and what their intentions as MEPs would be. They are in support of Brexit, so I would also like to know what sort of Brexit deal (or lack thereof) they want.

God forbid someone both argue against something and also make a (very tame) insult towards people who support it. I thought remainers were meant to be the snowflakes?

@Burton Bridge They did a pretty good job at justifying their beliefs about the party. No 'reinforcement through insults' needed, although they did insult some of the people who support the Brexit Party and that sounds like it's upset a couple of people. :wink:
Reply 13
Er, wrong. I don't expect them to have an environmental policy, education policy, etc. I would expect them to declare why they are running in the European Elections and what their intentions as MEPs would be. They are in support of Brexit, so I would also like to know what sort of Brexit deal (or lack thereof) they want.

Expect whatever you like, people voting for them don't care about what Remainers expect and it makes no difference to anything. It's like saying that Remainers are expected to stop obstructing Brexit, counts for nothing, You want to know why they are running?!
It was slightly ironic receiving two leaflets through my door simultaneously; one from the Brexit Party and the other from the LibDems.
I know who gets my vote.
I mean its a shame they do not have a manifesto (UKIP do and its actually very good and well written) but they are the brexit party and since UKIP have had so many problems, I think the brexit party will win the EU elections by far. They would have my vote if I was old enough.

God forbid someone both argue against something and also make a (very tame) insult towards people who support it. I thought remainers were meant to be the snowflakes?

@Burton Bridge They did a pretty good job at justifying their beliefs about the party. No 'reinforcement through insults' needed, although they did insult some of the people who support the Brexit Party and that sounds like it's upset a couple of people. :wink:

I didn't say it was a gravely insulting comment it's just totally uncalled for and unhelpful particularly for the remain cause as it merely serves to harden opinion, I thought it was meant to be we leavers that are a bit slow on the uptake.
Don't let me stop the superiority complex that some remainers believe they hold over we plebians though, it will lead to yet another big shock for you all, the cat is out of the bag and cannot be put back, we now know just how much our opinion means to those that run the country.
Reply 17
The Brexit party plan:

May 23: Win the EU parliament election
May 24: Go back in time
Mar 29: LEAVE THE EU WITHOUT A DEAL OMG RIGHT NOW!!!!oneone
Mar 30-May 23: ???
May 24-onward: ??????????????????????????
Original post by z-hog
Expect whatever you like, people voting for them don't care about what Remainers expect and it makes no difference to anything. It's like saying that Remainers are expected to stop obstructing Brexit, counts for nothing, You want to know why they are running?!

What I expect from them hasn't got anything to do with me being a remainer. Even if I were a leaver I would want to know why they are running and what they will do (or won't do) in the European Parliament. They would actually get my vote, even as a remainer, if they pledged to abstain from European politics in respect of the referendum result and in protest of our own government's incompetence over agreeing to a deal.

I didn't say it was a gravely insulting comment it's just totally uncalled for and unhelpful particularly for the remain cause as it merely serves to harden opinion, I thought it was meant to be we leavers that are a bit slow on the uptake.
Don't let me stop the superiority complex that some remainers believe they hold over we plebians though, it will lead to yet another big shock for you all, the cat is out of the bag and cannot be put back, we now know just how much our opinion means to those that run the country.

This is student forum with a very small outreach, at least as far as politics is concerned. An insult here or there isn't going to make a huge difference to anything, really. I do agree though, in wider public forums/debates/spaces insults should not be thrown, regardless of their severity.
Reply 19
What I expect from them hasn't got anything to do with me being a remainer. Even if I were a leaver I would want to know why they are running and what they will do (or won't do) in the European Parliament.

Were you a Leaver and you'd have no trouble understanding why they are running, I'm neither Leave or Remain and I don't need any help with it! I'm voting Brexit for the sake of Democracy (never mind, it's a long story...).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending