The Student Room Group

Physics Edexcel Unit 1 (Old syllabus) 14 May 2019 (WPH01)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mechguffin
The original length was 0.70 meters.

What I don't understand is this, how come our total length must be 1 mm but our original length is 0.70 meters???

I didn't try to do any cos/sin function with the rope length (I think weight has nothing to do with those functions) so my extension came out to be something like 1.46 * 10^-4 meter or 0.13 mm or something which I added up to my original length and said it was safe since I assumed I haven't crossed the 1 mm line. Idk but were you supposed to assume that 1mm is 1 meters or something??

Overall, this was a freaking hard exam imo. I think, I didn't answer like 4-5 sub-questions since I ran out of time. Really don't know why they are making the recent questions so much harder :frown:

It was the extension length that had to be less than 1mm, not the total length.
Original post by Kamel1023
What answer did you get for workdone in maximum pull back distance

Uhh, something like 0.8 Joules I think since I had to convert the whole graph into 1 triangle and 3-4 trapeziums etc
Original post by 686868t
what about the energy question when you had to explain why the gpe is much less than the total energy thing question

I wrote that, GPE is lesser than work done since the car had to climb up a ramp, so some energy was converted to heat due to the friction with the ramp's surface etc
the question state that the original length shudnt eexceed 1mm for safety concerns ? So the extension was 0.7 something n aren't we suppose to add that extension to the original length 🙄
Original post by 686868t
It was the extension length that had to be less than 1mm, not the total length.

I'm safe then lol
Reply 44
Original post by Nethmi Tharaka
the question state that the original length shudnt eexceed 1mm for safety concerns ? So the extension was 0.7 something n aren't we suppose to add that extension to the original length 🙄

Really?
Well as far as i can remember the question asked for the extension. Idk
I calculated the value for extension in mm and compared it to 1mm.
Extension is 0.5 mm
In finding the work done i just did force and distance i didnt find the area under graph
I don't think you need to find the are because it was just a 2/3 mark question...I did the same thing
Added this to the exam index here so hopefully people will see the thread.

Hope this went well for everyone.
Reply 49
does anyone remember the drag question where there was a graph of temperature and stuff? did u choose the force at room temperature
No u use 23°c

Original post by 686868t
does anyone remember the drag question where there was a graph of temperature and stuff? did u choose the force at room temperature
Reply 51
No u use 23°c

why.
Because at this particular temp of ethanol the sphere remains stationary so weight=upthrust and u calculate upthrust to get weight
Original post by 686868t
why.
Reply 53
Because at this particular temp of ethanol the sphere remains stationary so weight=upthrust and u calculate upthrust to get weight

if i used 25 would it be wrong?
Im not sure
Original post by 686868t
if i used 25 would it be wrong?
I guess you will loose like 1 mark
Im not sure
Reply 56
Im not sure

but how did you conclude the temperature to be 23?
They mentioned in the question what is the weight of the sphere and disc marked 23
Original post by 686868t
but how did you conclude the temperature to be 23?
And in the question they said the numbers correspond to temperature of ethanol
They mentioned in the question what is the weight of the sphere and disc marked 23
Reply 59
But they did not say the 23 marked sphere means it's temperature is 23°c.
It said temperatures where marked on the discs not on the sphere? idk.

Quick Reply

Latest