The Student Room Group

Are my A levels bad?

Hi, I've been certain for a while about taking Eng Lit/Psychology/Philosophy for A level and hopefully pursuing psychology further afterwards but recently I'm having doubts. Are my A levels too soft (?) to study psychology at a good uni?
Reply 1
Original post by vespo
Hi, I've been certain for a while about taking Eng Lit/Psychology/Philosophy for A level and hopefully pursuing psychology further afterwards but recently I'm having doubts. Are my A levels too soft (?) to study psychology at a good uni?

I think all 3 of those will be quite challenging, and respected for any good psychology degree.

English Literature is the only Russell Group facilitating subject there, so if you were referring to that then perhaps you could swap philosophy for history. However, if you prefer philosophy then I think it’ll be much more beneficial for you to take what you enjoy the most!!

Either way, you shouldn’t be hindered when applying, so long as your grades and application are strong :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lemmens
I think all 3 of those will be quite challenging, and respected for any good psychology degree.

English Literature is the only Russell Group facilitating subject there, so if you were referring to that then perhaps you could swap philosophy for history. However, if you prefer philosophy then I think it’ll be much more beneficial for you to take what you enjoy the most!!

Either way, you shouldn’t be hindered when applying, so long as your grades and application are strong :smile:
Original post by vespo

No, they're not too soft at all.

The only thing you might want to check, if you have certain unis in mind, is that they don't want you to take another science/maths subject alongside Psychology because a small number of unis will want 2 Science subjects. Of course, if you're not that good at Science or maths then you just avoid those unis.
Ironically i do those exact a levels. They are extremely challenging, I took them to do Law though, which is a challenging subject on a whole. I do believe if you want to persue a career in Psychology then taking psychology is fine but I would suggest also taking biology? There is alot of biology in psychology and although i have learnt to understand, I am aware that this biological aspect increases in university. Nevertheless, biology is an extremely tricky subject. Extremely.

It is up to you but do think carefully about it.

Quick Reply

Latest