The Student Room Group

A level options

Scroll to see replies

Currently in year 12 doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics. Aiming to do maths and/ or physics at university. Also happy to answer any questions.
Reply 21
The only subject I'm good at is english literature and I dont particularly like subjects and school in general. I wanna chose jobs that can give me a solid career pathway.
Original post by PetitePanda
Pick the subjects you like more or really good at?
idk, subjects i like more is art, but u cant really do anything with it. subject im good at is spanish, but again what would i do with it?
im lost tbh but i'll learn to like the subjects i chose i guess :biggrin:
Pick the subjects you like more or really good at?
Reply 23
Original post by lilTrain
oo how is history? a lot of content right? do u have to write massive essays :rolleyes:

History is content heavy, I won't lie. You'll be required to make notes for private study and sometimes you'll have to write and practice essays. It's manageable though and I enjoy it. :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by *Insertcooluser*
bio chem and maths but thinking of changing to bio chem and psycology what do you guys think? I want to do medicine at uni

either are fine combos for medicine. a lot of the interviews now require you to have basic numeracy skills so it's good to keep your maths going a little bit
Original post by tm_24
The only subject I'm good at is english literature and I dont particularly like subjects and school in general. I wanna chose jobs that can give me a solid career pathway.

If you don’t like school, why don’t you do an apprenticeship?
Reply 26
My parents and siblings dont allow it. Really wish I could.
If you don’t like school, why don’t you do an apprenticeship?
Original post by lilTrain
idk, subjects i like more is art, but u cant really do anything with it. subject im good at is spanish, but again what would i do with it?
im lost tbh but i'll learn to like the subjects i chose i guess :biggrin:

You can do Spanish because it shows you know a modern foreign language and it can become a skill of yours in the future? That’s true for art but if you want to graphics or design, it’ll help you. However it’s your choice so I hope you are able to find a subject you like
Original post by eli23se
either are fine combos for medicine. a lot of the interviews now require you to have basic numeracy skills so it's good to keep your maths going a little bit

yh but alot of people were telling me psycology is an easy A if you've got a good memory and chem a hard alevel but idk I'm confused maths is meant to be hard but I get solid 7s so I still don't know
Original post by tm_24

Tell the school and have them convince them??? Honestly I don’t think it’s worth it if you don’t enjoy doing something e.g school so I would try my best putting the effort in getting to be able to do the things I like because I wouldn’t be able to handle that lifestyle no offence.
Original post by STEM.lover
Currently in year 12 doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics. Aiming to do maths and/ or physics at university. Also happy to answer any questions.

What’s the content for maths and physics like?
Original post by tm_24

If it’s something that you feel is right for you, you should strongly consider it. I know people who have got into A levels not liking school/ their subjects and their motivation is lacking. A levels require dedication and a passion for the subject to do well. Chances are you may end up doing better going down the apprenticeship route. If you do want to do this I recommend you do some research over the summer and sit down and have a conversation with your parents, outline the benefits of doing an apprenticeship and why it works for you. A levels aren’t for everyone, they should accept that if you find something else beneficial. Good luck!
I am second year studying Maths, Geology and Modern History. Let me know if you want to know anything about these subjects :smile:
Hi,
I'm in the second year of a-levels: biology, chemistry and geography. I'm a medical applicant. Happy to help with any queries. :smile:
Not personal at all really. I've always wanted to do Psychology at a younger age, despite only doing it at Sixth Form. Most likely will be going down the route of mental health care since that's what interests me, like either a counsellor or something.
A-Levels are all pretty relative to the individual. Sometimes it is very confusing and would need a lot of help just to understand. Other times, it's really easy. Hardest part is the exam questions because it's not just regurgitating the content on paper. The structure, phrasing and the linking back to the question is vital. One thing to note though is that there is a lot more content in A Level to learn. The leap from GCSE to A Level is the most scariest part, in terms of content really. Don't stress about it too much though. Just think that there are so many other people who is in the exact same position as you are.
Original post by tm_24
Sorry if this is personal, I wanted to ask what you hoping to do in the future using those alevels. How hard are your alevels?
I’m doing English Lit, Politics, German and Maths. I wanted to do music but I’m not good enough.
What’s the content for maths and physics like?

Personally I feel like the maths course especially pure is quite easy. This is because my school did GCSE’s early so we did additional maths in year 11. If anyone is doing additional maths the first few months of pure maths as level is practically identical (I can say this applies for WJEC and I would imagine it does for other boards but I can’t make any promises) If you’re working at 7 8 or 9 you should find maths to be doable if you put in the effort.

The physics course is interesting, I’ve found that doing maths has definitely helped a lot with physics and would strongly recommend doing them both together. There is content to learn but it’s not a massive amount, it’s more the application of knowledge that is important so I would focus on writing notes in lessons and doing past paper questions at home.

Hope this helps.
Reply 37
If it’s something that you feel is right for you, you should strongly consider it. I know people who have got into A levels not liking school/ their subjects and their motivation is lacking. A levels require dedication and a passion for the subject to do well. Chances are you may end up doing better going down the apprenticeship route. If you do want to do this I recommend you do some research over the summer and sit down and have a conversation with your parents, outline the benefits of doing an apprenticeship and why it works for you. A levels aren’t for everyone, they should accept that if you find something else beneficial. Good luck!

Thank you !!
Personally I feel like the maths course especially pure is quite easy. This is because my school did GCSE’s early so we did additional maths in year 11. If anyone is doing additional maths the first few months of pure maths as level is practically identical (I can say this applies for WJEC and I would imagine it does for other boards but I can’t make any promises) If you’re working at 7 8 or 9 you should find maths to be doable if you put in the effort.

The physics course is interesting, I’ve found that doing maths has definitely helped a lot with physics and would strongly recommend doing them both together. There is content to learn but it’s not a massive amount, it’s more the application of knowledge that is important so I would focus on writing notes in lessons and doing past paper questions at home.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much I’ll keep that in mind.
I do Psychology and would like to give you a little disclaimer. Psychology is a HEAVY content subject, with a lot of stuff to learn. Even if you know it, at A Level they are peculiar with phrasing and structuring the answer. Like I might get marked down by saying 'can' instead of 'could' in the middle of the essay. Psychology in general is considered a hard subject, mainly due to the strictness of your answers and the amount of content you need to learn. Would honestly advise you to only take A Level Psychology if you are interested in the subject or need it for future applications. I know you didn't directly say that Psychology is easy but would just like to point this out if you were planning on taking Psychology because it is easy.
Original post by *Insertcooluser*
yh but alot of people were telling me psycology is an easy A if you've got a good memory and chem a hard alevel but idk I'm confused maths is meant to be hard but I get solid 7s so I still don't know

Quick Reply

Latest