The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry May 16th 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Anyone has any predictions on the upcoming exam?

Scroll to see replies

I really hope that this doesn't come up but i reckon that it will because you can get a lot of marks out of it. Electrolysis. I think they will do a big 6 or 8 marker on electrolysis or potable water or something like that!!!
Original post by Underdog...
Im assuming they're gonna ask about enthalpy change in more detail than in previous years. And I really hope that they don't ask a ton in extraction
Original post by Imogen_barr
I really hope that this doesn't come up but i reckon that it will because you can get a lot of marks out of it. Electrolysis. I think they will do a big 6 or 8 marker on electrolysis or potable water or something like that!!!

yeh electrolysis always comes up each year...defenitly 6 marks or so...should be a whole question on electrolysis..
Original post by crystalcomet
Im assuming they're gonna ask about enthalpy change in more detail than in previous years. And I really hope that they don't ask a ton in extraction

well physical chemistry comes mostly in paper 2...idk whether itll come for paper 1 this year...cant say i think safer to just keep those terms in mind and be ready for paper 1
well physical chemistry comes mostly in paper 2...idk whether itll come for paper 1 this year...cant say i think safer to just keep those terms in mind and be ready for paper 1

Right, I just worry about things I might forget in exam. My brain's bad
Original post by Wai Yan Myint Mo
Right, I just worry about things I might forget in exam. My brain's bad

chill i dont think u hav to worry alot...i reckon the paper will be pretty easy...just make sure you study the calculation part and tests and crap...u myt hav to keep those in mind...ull get a 9 if u get above 85 in that paper i think according to last year's grade bounderies...if they give 6 mark questions dont panic and just write what u know and wat u can :smile:
Reply 7
following
Reply 8
Original post by Imogen_barr

isn't electrolysis a paper 2 topic ?
Reply 9
Electrolysis is paper 2. It is impossible for it to come up
Original post by h.i_773
Electrolysis is paper 2. It is impossible for it to come up

hmm you may be right because in the text book it says that electrolysis is "CHEMISTRY ONLY" which means that it doesnt apply for double award papers...
I got 49 in my test. I'm gonna fail
Original post by Wai Yan Myint Mo
I got 49 in my test. I'm gonna fail

49 isnt bad compared to 20s and 30s.... if u got 49 just probably hav to work harder...tmrow's paper will be a piece of cake
Reply 13
I got 95 on my mock paper 1. I just need to try and learn solubility. Any tips?
guys i think alot from the first unit to some of the 2nd unit will be defenitly there..and then there's some parts of physical chemistry and organic chemistry...
In organic chem make sure u guys study "CRUDE OIL" and "CRACKING" and have a basic idea on "ALKANES, ALKENES"...

In physical chemistry its defenitly going to be about "RATES OF REACTION" some "EQUILIBRIUM" questions and some calculations from them...have a basic knowledge of endothermic and exothermic and crap...dont use Le Chatiliur's principle as they can reject it...

In inogranic chemistry have a basic understanding of chapter's 11 to 14 obviously those are easy...but the last few... "ACIDS, ALKALIS and TITRATIONS"... know the solubility of ionic compounds in water and how to make soluble salts...salts, acids and bases...study a few practicals so u can have an understanding...read that topic carefully as i assure u that should come for our exam...next is the "CHEMICAL TESTS", those are pretty important...know the colour changes...and the observations...know the meaning of words like anhydrous (without water)...

In principles of chemistry every chapter is obviously required, except electrolysis for paper 1 but still have a basic understanding of what it is, same goes with metallic bonding but i recommend u to read it when u have the time... Ionic bonding, covalant bonding... what they mean... know ur calculations well... make the equations on a rough sheet and paste it on ur wall so u cant forget it as they dont give the formulas....have a basic understanding of ionic equations on how to make one...what is oxisidised what is reduced...those are always there in every chemistry paper ive seen by far...

Anyways sorry for the long reply I wish everyone good luck tmrow as also im doing the same exam XD...
please feel free to reply and make any changes to what i said
Original post by K4IT4N
I got 95 on my mock paper 1. I just need to try and learn solubility. Any tips?

Learning it myself....u dont need to remember every single thing...except for carbanates and hydroxides everything is soluble..exception is ammonium pottasium and sodium..those are always soluble... learn the exceptions in sulfates and chlorides... especially lead 2 sulfate and lead 2 chloride as lead is a common element that is used in IGCSE's chemistry exam...
hey.which xul are you from?
Learning it myself....u dont need to remember every single thing...except for carbanates and hydroxides everything is soluble..exception is ammonium pottasium and sodium..those are always soluble... learn the exceptions in sulfates and chlorides... especially lead 2 sulfate and lead 2 chloride as lead is a common element that is used in IGCSE's chemistry exam...
In all the past papers I have done I think a good half has something to do with crude oil and fractioning so that's something to watch out for
How do you tell if something is acidic or basic w| out the "H DONOR" and "OH DONOR" theory???
Original post by justyouravgkid
How do you tell if something is acidic or basic w| out the "H DONOR" and "OH DONOR" theory???

You sort of can't... it's the easiest way. If it has a hydrogen or hydroxide group it's likely acidic - e.g water is made up of 1 hydrogen group and 1 hydroxide group so it's neutral. The only other universal way is using indicators in an experimental setting - universal indicator, indicator paper, phenolphthalein and methyl orange etc otherwise you begin to do specific tests to find out whether it reacts with acid or base or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending