The Student Room Group

one eye randomly became short sighted

hi guys,

I noticed last night that my left eye alone couldn't focus on objects/text in the distance. both my eyes together can see completely fine.

I haven't been getting much sleep in the past few days and I am on my phone a lot. could this be a possible cause?

I'm only 17 so my eyes shouldn't be naturally getting worse already

I know you guys aren't eye doctors but it anyone had any experience with this or has knowledge of eyes that would be much appreciated.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

sounds like it is probably tiredness. I'd recommend going to the opticians if you're concerned and lastly poor eyesight doesn't discriminate against age, I've been having to wear glasses since I was 8, a lot of people I know have as well.
Reply 2
Original post by Tawny007
sounds like it is probably tiredness. I'd recommend going to the opticians if you're concerned and lastly poor eyesight doesn't discriminate against age, I've been having to wear glasses since I was 8, a lot of people I know have as well.

yeah I really hope so, I might be going to the opticians today but I'm really scared to go. that's true
Original post by Admera
yeah I really hope so, I might be going to the opticians today but I'm really scared to go. that's true

No reason to be scared, sure it'll all be fine. It's the best way to put your mind at ease 👍
Reply 4
Original post by Tawny007
No reason to be scared, sure it'll all be fine. It's the best way to put your mind at ease 👍

Yeah that's true thank you for your help, I've booked an appointment for tomorrow :smile:
Reply 5
It may be tiredness. Try to sleep better for a few days and be less on your phone. If it doesn't improve, visit an optometrist.
Eyesight can change at any age, many people develop nearsightedness at their 20's and even 30's nowadays due to cellphones and computers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Kathy89
It may be tiredness. Try to sleep better for a few days and be less on your phone. If it doesn't improve, visit an optometrist.
Eyesight can change at any age, many people develop nearsightedness at their 20's and even 30's nowadays due to cellphones and computers.

yeah I really hope so, do you think that is what is most likely since it seemed to come on all of a sudden?

I have an appointment for tomorrow.

I do understand that but I thought it was something that gradually happens over time?
Reply 7
Might be you do have a slight error, but it only visible when you are tired or did too much close work.
Original post by Admera
hi guys,

I noticed last night that my left eye alone couldn't focus on objects/text in the distance. both my eyes together can see completely fine.

I haven't been getting much sleep in the past few days and I am on my phone a lot. could this be a possible cause?

I'm only 17 so my eyes shouldn't be naturally getting worse already

I know you guys aren't eye doctors but it anyone had any experience with this or has knowledge of eyes that would be much appreciated.

You should definitely get your eyes checked out- it might just be like you say from looking at your phone a lot but if you do have any sight problems its better to get your glasses prescription sorted than trying to cope with bad eyesight. It's actually quite common for eyesight to get worse during your teens- mine definitely did & I know a few other people who the same happened to. It's annoying but it's something you just have to live with if it happens.
Reply 9
Original post by Kathy89
Might be you do have a slight error, but it only visible when you are tired or did too much close work.

Hopefully and I think that would make sense , but I woke up today and my eye is still the same, I can't tell if it's improved or now. I wish I knew how long my eye has been like this because I only noticed the other day when I had to shut one eye.
Reply 10
Original post by Alesha1991
You should definitely get your eyes checked out- it might just be like you say from looking at your phone a lot but if you do have any sight problems its better to get your glasses prescription sorted than trying to cope with bad eyesight. It's actually quite common for eyesight to get worse during your teens- mine definitely did & I know a few other people who the same happened to. It's annoying but it's something you just have to live with if it happens.

the odd thing is when both eyes are open my eye sight is completely fine, everything it sharp and clear, the blurry eye is my dominant eye as well. I'll update with what the optician says
Original post by Admera
Hopefully and I think that would make sense , but I woke up today and my eye is still the same, I can't tell if it's improved or now. I wish I knew how long my eye has been like this because I only noticed the other day when I had to shut one eye.

Don't worry, there is nothing wrong with having a slight refractive error.
Most of people have difference between their eyes so that's OK.
This is pseudo-myopia from doing too much close-up activities.

For the next weeks avoid close up activities and your eye should become normal again. In the rare case that it does not go away to the ophthalmologist it is.

Brotip: never use a full myopia glasses prescription for close up work (unless you're too nearsighted then use a reduced prescription) as that causes more severe myopia (which puts at a relatively large risk for some eye diseases).
Reply 13
Original post by TheTroll73

For the next weeks avoid close up activities and your eye should become normal again. In the rare case that it does not go away to the ophthalmologist it is.

Brotip: never use a full myopia glasses prescription for close up work (unless you're too nearsighted then use a reduced prescription) as that causes more severe myopia (which puts at a relatively large risk for some eye diseases).

Hmm I've never heard of it but that would make sense, I was revising for a solid month quite heavily for my mock A levels that finished 2 or 3 weeks ago

shouldn't this occur in both eyes then not one?
Original post by TheTroll73

Although it is not completely scientifically proven, I still follow this method for myself and my patients unless they have accomodation issues and require the prismatic effect of the full correction, even then I try to work on visual therapy more than giving a full correction (I'm an optometrist).
My eyesight improved over the last few years.
Original post by Admera
Hmm I've never heard of it but that would make sense, I was revising for a solid month quite heavily for my mock A levels that finished 2 or 3 weeks ago

shouldn't this occur in both eyes then not one?

Can occur in one eye too.
Original post by Kathy89
Although it is not completely scientifically proven, I still follow this method for myself and my patients unless they have accomodation issues and require the prismatic effect of the full correction, even then I try to work on visual therapy more than giving a full correction (I'm an optometrist).
My eyesight improved over the last few years.

What kind of visual therapy?
I have always worn full myopia correction even when my prescription was low. I wish someone told me earlier. Now when I taken my glasses off even close up things are too far for me to see clear, laptop screen for example.
Reply 17
Okay I have just got back from the opticians where he said I am short sighted in one eye and my other eye is fine. I don't have to have glasses currently because as I said before with both eyes I can see fine, so much so that I never realised I was short sighted. Thanks for all the help!
Original post by EyestriX
What kind of visual therapy?
I have always worn full myopia correction even when my prescription was low. I wish someone told me earlier. Now when I taken my glasses off even close up things are too far for me to see clear, laptop screen for example.

laptop is not up close... it's mid range...
There are devices and eye exercises that can be fitted to improve accommodation. In addition, you can confine with lower prescription for up close usually.
Original post by Kathy89
laptop is not up close... it's mid range...
There are devices and eye exercises that can be fitted to improve accommodation. In addition, you can confine with lower prescription for up close usually.

Okay :tongue: I meant thing I could see before without my glasses
But i don't understand why, myopic people don't struggle with accommodation, if anything they need to relax they accommodation. Can you explain to me how it works?
Sigh I feel like I know nothing

Quick Reply

Latest