The Student Room Group

I got an A* (9) in GCSE Chemistry - AMA!

Hey all,

So I am aware that OCR Gateway GCSE Chemistry Paper 1/3 is tomorrow - I want to help prepare you for your exams as I got an A*/9 when I did mine. I am also an A-Level student studying Chemistry and I have my exam in 2 weeks time :smile:

So, feel free to ask me anything to do with GCSE Chemistry (Or anything to do with GCSEs!) that you're struggling on and I will do my best to help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well done
So did I. Doesn't make me special
Original post by ShannonKerryx
Hey all,

So I am aware that OCR Gateway GCSE Chemistry Paper 1/3 is tomorrow - I want to help prepare you for your exams as I got an A*/9 when I did mine. I am also an A-Level student studying Chemistry and I have my exam in 2 weeks time :smile:

So, feel free to ask me anything to do with GCSE Chemistry (Or anything to do with GCSEs!) that you're struggling on and I will do my best to help :smile:
Original post by That's all folks
So did I. Doesn't make me special

Did I say I was special??? No

I made this thread to help other students
alright then
Did I say I was special??? No

I made this thread to help other students
When did you start revising? How did you revise chemistry?
Hey all,

I started revising around Easter time, but I know plenty of people who revised a few days before and still got a good grade

And I did a lot of past papers, marked them and revised the things I got wrong. I also condensed my notes onto flashcards and wrote key words/facts and read from those

I also watched a few revision videos on youtube - mygcsescience is a good channel to watch :smile:
Original post by zoe.nyaku
When did you start revising? How did you revise chemistry?
Hey all,

what do you recommend me do today. im sitting on around a 7/6. ive gone through last years paper going over mistakes and im finishing soon.
whats the best thing for me to do now
I would personally focus on the topics you find the most difficult; this could be writing flashcards, doing questions on the most difficult topics etc
Another good tip is to grab a sheet of paper, choose a topic and write down EVERYTHING you know about that topic without looking at the textbook/revision guide. Just purely from your memory
Then, after you have written everything you know, get the revision guide out and write down things you missed out in a different colour pen and you could even write these on a flashcard
This is honestly the best revision tip ever haha
Original post by FreshPrince102
what do you recommend me do today. im sitting on around a 7/6. ive gone through last years paper going over mistakes and im finishing soon.
whats the best thing for me to do now
Hi there
Do you know what topics i should revise for triple
Hey all,

Hiya
The most difficult topics are bonding and structure, exo/endothermic reactions, electrolysis and mole calculations so I would so focus on these!
Original post by shabbirgaming5
Hi there
Do you know what topics i should revise for triple
Thanks also for this year can you predict what i need to revise on

Original post by shannonkerryx
hiya
the most difficult topics are bonding and structure, exo/endothermic reactions, electrolysis and mole calculations so i would so focus on these!
Reply 12
Hiya, so nice of you to be doing this, I hate titration calculations any advice?
I actually made a thread on 2019 chem predictions so if you go on the gcse forum you should be able to find it there :smile:
Original post by shabbirgaming5
Thanks also for this year can you predict what i need to revise on
Hey all,

What did you use for revision? Sorry if it’s been asked
I used to hate them too but they grow on you the more you do them I think!
When I was learning I used 4 steps:

Step 1- Write/Look at the balanced equation and note down the mol ratios. (ie HCL + NaOH --> NaCl + H2O) - the mol ratio here is 1:1 because 1 mol of HCL reacts with 1 mol of NaOH to produce 1 mol of NaCl and 1 mol of water. This could be different for every equation, just look at the ratio :smile:

Step 2- Using the information given, work out the number of mols of one compound by substitute numbers into a mol formula. For example, if you have been given the mass of HCl, use mol=mass/Mr to work out mols
If given the volume and concentration, use mol=concenreation x volume
REMEMBER TO CONVERT VOLUME INTO DM3 by dividing by 1000!!

Step 3 - Using the mol ratio, ie 1:1, we know that the mols of HCl is going to be equal to the mols of NaOH because the ratio is 1:1; the amount of mols of HCl is equal to mols of NaOH.
HOWEVER, if the mol ratio is 1:2, then you need to divide/multiply by 2 to find the mols of this

Step 4 - Work out the concentration/mass of the other compound by substituting the numbers into the formula again

Its long and a bit confusing but with more practise you'll get the hang of it. It's the same thing for every calculation aha
Original post by fh2712
Hiya, so nice of you to be doing this, I hate titration calculations any advice?
Use flashcards, make mindmaps and do a lot of past paper questions
I also got a sheet of paper and wrote everything I know about a topic without looking at the textbook then after I've done I write down everything I didn't get in a different colour pen!
Original post by ArabLlama
What did you use for revision? Sorry if it’s been asked
Reply 17
Omg, thank you so much honestly such a nice way of looking at it. I'm gonna practice a ton of practice questions on it now with the same steps you gave and hopefully, it would stick by tomorrow.
Honestly thanks so much you're amazing.
Hope your exams go well for you.
I used to hate them too but they grow on you the more you do them I think!
When I was learning I used 4 steps:

Step 1- Write/Look at the balanced equation and note down the mol ratios. (ie HCL + NaOH --> NaCl + H2O) - the mol ratio here is 1:1 because 1 mol of HCL reacts with 1 mol of NaOH to produce 1 mol of NaCl and 1 mol of water. This could be different for every equation, just look at the ratio :smile:

Step 2- Using the information given, work out the number of mols of one compound by substitute numbers into a mol formula. For example, if you have been given the mass of HCl, use mol=mass/Mr to work out mols
If given the volume and concentration, use mol=concenreation x volume
REMEMBER TO CONVERT VOLUME INTO DM3 by dividing by 1000!!

Step 3 - Using the mol ratio, ie 1:1, we know that the mols of HCl is going to be equal to the mols of NaOH because the ratio is 1:1; the amount of mols of HCl is equal to mols of NaOH.
HOWEVER, if the mol ratio is 1:2, then you need to divide/multiply by 2 to find the mols of this

Step 4 - Work out the concentration/mass of the other compound by substituting the numbers into the formula again

Its long and a bit confusing but with more practise you'll get the hang of it. It's the same thing for every calculation aha
Aww thanks thats so nice aha
Thankyou, good luck for yours too! dont hesitate to pm me if you have any more questions :smile:
Original post by fh2712
Omg, thank you so much honestly such a nice way of looking at it. I'm gonna practice a ton of practice questions on it now with the same steps you gave and hopefully, it would stick by tomorrow.
Honestly thanks so much you're amazing.
Hope your exams go well for you.
How would you make the flashcards? Cause I know people use them differently

Quick Reply

Latest