The Student Room Group

RIP Jeremy Kyle

The show that torments working class families in public for the profit of a TV company and the bloated salary of Jeremy Kyle has been axed.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7031153/Michael-Grade-says-ITV-probably-lose-popular-Jeremy-Kyle-crisis.html

It follows the suicide of a participant who recently killed himself a few days after his appearance on the show.

The production team deliberately harassed and drove participants to potential violence and high levels of aggression.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/may/14/jeremy-kyle-show-ruined-life-guest-speaks-out

I'm glad the show has been killed off, but really, Kyle should be charged with Manslaughter, along with executives of the production company.

Scroll to see replies

I think you are going way too far with this.

There have been thousands of participants in the show's 14-year life; one instance of bear-baiting and one suicide (when we don't even know if the show is the trigger).

ITV has caved in to the pressure and everyone else is trying to produce a good sound bite to virtue-signal and appear as if they are intensely passionate about promoting mental well-being (even though the show has not yet been proven to be the operating cause for the man to kill himself).
It's not just the Jeremy Kyle show, though, is it?

Public humiliation of vulnerable people has been a key element of our entertainment system for years. X Factor encourages people who aren't very bright and don't realise they can't sing to audition, so everyone can laugh at them for being so deluded.

And Love Island has led to at least 2 suicides.

I agree that it's a good thing that Jeremy Kyle is finally off air. But I also think we need to recognise that it doesn't stop with him.
(edited 4 years ago)
you might as well cancel Prime Minister's Questions while you're at it dear.

a poor bewildered pensioner is tormented by working class bullies for public amusement

smh
I think its tough **** tbh. No one is forced to go on the show and most of the participants are deluded entitled people who need to be told the truth.
apparently the constestants got £250 for appearing. nice work if you can get it.
Original post by Notoriety
I think you are going way too far with this.

There have been thousands of participants in the show's 14-year life; one instance of bear-baiting and one suicide (when we don't even know if the show is the trigger).

ITV has caved in to the pressure and everyone else is trying to produce a good sound bite to virtue-signal and appear as if they are intensely passionate about promoting mental well-being (even though the show has not yet been proven to be the operating cause for the man to kill himself).

Spoiler

Remember,
"Jeremy Kyle got the nation laughing at other people's expense,
Somebody tell that guy that we hate him too we are not his friends!"
Can they put The Sweeny reruns on? It’s basically the same. Somebody gets a bit shouty and people get insulted.
How will the underclasses get their fifteen minutes of fame now? They will have to rely on the uncertain possibility of CCTV coverage of their exploits appearing on 'Cops on Camera'. This is class warfare, and @Fullofsurprises, as a woke leftie, should be supporting the underprivileged, not the management middle classes who have plenty of opportunities already.
I’m going to miss it though, it’s a shame they had to cancel it just because of one guy
When they cancelling Love Island then? It's got double the suicide rate of Jeremy's antics in less than half the time.
I remember me and my nan used to watch Jeremy Kyle during the holidays when I went to her house and we’d make fun of the constants and they are some of my fondest memories. Can’t beleive they cancelled the show just because some guy killed himself. It’s not like anyone was forcing him to either
I'm assuming they cancelled jeremy kyle show USA as well.
At the end of the day people choose to go on it, no one’s holding a gun to their head and forcing them to appear on Jeremy Kyle. They get paid as well. It’s annoying that they’d cancel it just because of one death and it just shows how paranoid and politically correct people can be. These days if anything causes controversy it is immediately retracted. Why ruin the fun for everyone else
Original post by Good bloke
How will the underclasses get their fifteen minutes of fame now? They will have to rely on the uncertain possibility of CCTV coverage of their exploits appearing on 'Cops on Camera'. This is class warfare, and @Fullofsurprises, as a woke leftie, should be supporting the underprivileged, not the management middle classes who have plenty of opportunities already.

maybe the show could be changed so that Middle-Class people were featured instead:

"Sister in law laughed at my Quinoa Sourdough"

"Neighbour is spying on our croquet lawn"

"Au pair says my husband asked her for Tantric Sex"

:holmes:
Original post by the bear
maybe the show could be changed so that Middle-Class people were featured instead:

"Sister in law laughed at my Quinoa Sourdough"

"Neighbour is spying on our croquet lawn"

"Au pair says my husband asked her for Tantric Sex"

:holmes:

Don't forget the upper classes!

"My servants sneer at my duck house"

"My Ferrari collection keeps getting vandalised"

"My guests keep wearing street shoes on the deck of my superyacht"
Original post by MartinF98
At the end of the day people choose to go on it, no one’s holding a gun to their head and forcing them to appear on Jeremy Kyle. They get paid as well. It’s annoying that they’d cancel it just because of one death and it just shows how paranoid and politically correct people can be. These days if anything causes controversy it is immediately retracted. Why ruin the fun for everyone else

I doubt anybody was going on it expecting it to drive them to suicide, to be fair. Not really an issue of political correctness so much as a "is it acceptable for a TV show to indirectly kill people" kinda deal.

Although that said, in this case idk if it's been proven that Jezza K was the driving force behind the suicide (unlike the suicides in ****ing Love Island smh)
(edited 4 years ago)

:top2: