The Student Room Group

equivalency testing English exam

Hi.I sat my equivalency English GCSE exam with ET last Saturday 21/07/18.I don't think i did well though. I am still waiting for my results. Do you know how long do we need to wait for the results? I am a Maths person and want to teach Maths for secondary schools. I wasn't educated in this country thus i need to do equivalency GCSE for maths and english. I have met all the requirements for PGCE so far. I passed numeracy and literacy skill tests and also equivalency GCSE in Maths. I am just worried that i didn't pass my English :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I will be taking mines at the end of the month. I'm super nervous, can you give me an idea what was on the exam paper and I've heard there's a poem section.
Reply 2
hi.
The first section- There were two texts on outdoor activities for children. The first one was more like a report to authorities on why it is important to introduce more outdoor lessons in schools. The second one was directed to parents informing them what outdoor activities the Nathional Health Trust offers for all families to keep them healthy and occupied.
The next section was writing. One question was to write about your memorable journey. The next question was to write a report to the gov. I didn’t choose this one.
The last section was to analyse and compare two poems : ‘Nettle’ and ‘Aquarium’

I passed it but waited one week for the results. I got a certificate sent by post. No email or text about the result so I was really stressed.
Good luck! You can do it :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you soo much for your help and congratulations on passing your exam.
Reply 4
Hi to everyone, Thank you very much for that useful information, AgnesL1, it's been very helpful! :smile:I am going to sit this exam in December this year and I am a little bit worried about it. The reason being is that they sent me two past exam papers. However, these papers were from 2011 and 2012. I know that this equivalency exams are based on the AQA GCSE exam papers. Unfortunately, the AQA tests have changed since 2015 in two relevant aspects: the texts for the reading are literary texts and not
Hey xana89, did you sit this exam in December? How did you get on? Hopefully booking mine soon. Feeling pretty stressed about it!! Thanks, Lucy
Reply 6
Original post by AgnesL1
hi.
The first section- There were two texts on outdoor activities for children. The first one was more like a report to authorities on why it is important to introduce more outdoor lessons in schools. The second one was directed to parents informing them what outdoor activities the Nathional Health Trust offers for all families to keep them healthy and occupied.
The next section was writing. One question was to write about your memorable journey. The next question was to write a report to the gov. I didn’t choose this one.
The last section was to analyse and compare two poems : ‘Nettle’ and ‘Aquarium’

I passed it but waited one week for the results. I got a certificate sent by post. No email or text about the result so I was really stressed.
Good luck! You can do it :smile:

Hi there, so the poems you had are both unseen ones? it's very strange as the poems in the exam I sat today are all from the love cluster. The exam advice ET sent through email said there will be an unseen poem actually!
Reply 7
Hi,
I am sitting the exam this month. Please could you let me know what did you get for the writing section and the poetry section?
Thank you
Original post by Shedyll
Thank you soo much for your help and congratulations on passing your exam.
Reply 8
Hi, Please could you let me know what did you get for the writing section?
Thank you
Original post by bamblue
Hi there, so the poems you had are both unseen ones? it's very strange as the poems in the exam I sat today are all from the love cluster. The exam advice ET sent through email said there will be an unseen poem actually!
Reply 9
I took the exam 9 months ago. For the first section of the english exam there were two text on outdoor activities which was quite easy...second part was to write about your memorable journey. The next question was to write a report to the gov. I choose memerable journey.The last section was to analyse and compare two poems : ‘Nettle’ and ‘harmoniun' the poems are online..im not sure if they change the questions for english test by now.
Reply 10
Hi , Thank you very much. It is so helpful of you.
Original post by Shedyll
I took the exam 9 months ago. For the first section of the english exam there were two text on outdoor activities which was quite easy...second part was to write about your memorable journey. The next question was to write a report to the gov. I choose memerable journey.The last section was to analyse and compare two poems : ‘Nettle’ and ‘harmoniun' the poems are online..im not sure if they change the questions for english test by now.
Reply 11
Hi Lucygohappy,
Did you sit for the exam? If so please could you let me know what you got for writing and poetry sections?
Thank you

Original post by lucygohappy
Hey xana89, did you sit this exam in December? How did you get on? Hopefully booking mine soon. Feeling pretty stressed about it!! Thanks, Lucy
Reply 12
I don't really remember much now, the exam was over 3 months ago. The poems are all from the love cluster, I did not encounter any unseen ones. But I think you should expect and prepare for unseen poems as this is what the ET guidance suggests. The writing section is really very easy. As long as you prepare well for the poems, you should pass! I passed the exam with B.
Original post by MinMad
Hi, Please could you let me know what did you get for the writing section?
Thank you
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Hi. Which poems did you see for your exam? Trying to find some questions to practise with. Thank you
Original post by bamblue
I don't really remember much now, the exam was over 3 months ago. The poems are all from the love cluster, I did not encounter any unseen ones. But I think you should expect and prepare for unseen poems as this is what the ET guidance suggests. The writing section is really very easy. As long as you prepare well for the poems, you should pass! I passed the exam with B.
Reply 14
Poems I got were from the love and relationship cluster. As I can remember, the follower and climbing on grand pa or something
Reply 15
Any who has recently taken the English Equivalency test? please help.
Reply 16
Hi I passed the exam with grade 5. Took exam through ET..reading n writing was very simple on outdoor games n global warming. The poems were follower n climbing on my grandfather...good luck xx
Reply 17
same
Original post by AgnesL1
Hi.I sat my equivalency English GCSE exam with ET last Saturday 21/07/18.I don't think i did well though. I am still waiting for my results. Do you know how long do we need to wait for the results? I am a Maths person and want to teach Maths for secondary schools. I wasn't educated in this country thus i need to do equivalency GCSE for maths and english. I have met all the requirements for PGCE so far. I passed numeracy and literacy skill tests and also equivalency GCSE in Maths. I am just worried that i didn't pass my English :frown:

Hi I hope you did pass but if you didn't don't be disheartened. A major thing with English exams is that you understand what the marking scheme is looking for - its vital to get a good handle on what they're looking for in the particular exam - did you get a revision book or anything regarding the exam before you did it and had someone look over your practice exam ?-- if you find this subject particularly challenging then get some help before sitting another -- it is false economy to save on the support and waste money on repeating exams -- some of the testing organisations offer effective support without too much money -- I know the A* Star testing people have experienced teachers that assist -- not sure about the others ?
Original post by bamblue

Generally all these English Language equivalencies are unseen material -- the A* Star Equivalency one is always non fiction unseen but not poems a newspaper, magazine article or a brochure for those questions -- a reading and a writing section --their website should assist with this

Quick Reply

Latest