The Student Room Group

Guys I’m scared help meee

So basically I’m doing A-level physics, chem, maths and I’m in my first year. All of my friends know where they are going to uni and I’m scared because I don’t know anything about uni and stuff and I don’t have the slightest idea on applying to uni. This keeps me up at night and I’m having a panic attack right now omggg like, I want to go to a good university and I don’t have any idea on which is know for what and there are so many universities with so many course I don’t know what to choose and I can’t seem to find and info online and omg open days are coming up and I need to decide on which ones to go please please pls help me what are good universities you recommend for physics chemistry and maths? And uhhh I’m thinking applying to oxford but I don’t think I’ll get A* and there are people who are smarter than me but I really want to go to oxford but it’s the only uni I know maybe that’s why but pls help omg sorry for making you read all this but I’m having a panic attack pls help :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
Help? :frown:
Boi. Relax. You're in your first year. In life, there are people who already know what they want to do, or their parents decide what they want to do, and so from the first year, they try to prepare for it. There are others who have yet to decide what to do and so they just focus on their studies and try to succeed in their A-levels. If you don't know what you want to do yet, then take your time. You need to focus on your studies right now. So far you know you want to go to a good uni, and that requires good A-level marks. So focus on that. From the things you've chosen see what you like and maybe from there, start thinking about where you want to go. But for now, take it easy. Really. Heck, I'm 27 and just decided I want to do medicine after almost finishing a master! So relax and focus on your studies!
im in kinda same position with u im doing bio,chem,drama a levels :frown:
dont think i'll get an A* in chem
but im sure you'll do it just stay on the grind for the next few weeks, you'll make it out
Original post by Revision Boiii
So basically I’m doing A-level physics, chem, maths and I’m in my first year. All of my friends know where they are going to uni and I’m scared because I don’t know anything about uni and stuff and I don’t have the slightest idea on applying to uni. This keeps me up at night and I’m having a panic attack right now omggg like, I want to go to a good university and I don’t have any idea on which is know for what and there are so many universities with so many course I don’t know what to choose and I can’t seem to find and info online and omg open days are coming up and I need to decide on which ones to go please please pls help me what are good universities you recommend for physics chemistry and maths? And uhhh I’m thinking applying to oxford but I don’t think I’ll get A* and there are people who are smarter than me but I really want to go to oxford but it’s the only uni I know maybe that’s why but pls help omg sorry for making you read all this but I’m having a panic attack pls help :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
Original post by Aigle20350
Boi. Relax. You're in your first year. In life, there are people who already know what they want to do, or their parents decide what they want to do, and so from the first year, they try to prepare for it. There are others who have yet to decide what to do and so they just focus on their studies and try to succeed in their A-levels. If you don't know what you want to do yet, then take your time. You need to focus on your studies right now. So far you know you want to go to a good uni, and that requires good A-level marks. So focus on that. From the things you've chosen see what you like and maybe from there, start thinking about where you want to go. But for now, take it easy. Really. Heck, I'm 27 and just decided I want to do medicine after almost finishing a master! So relax and focus on your studies!

Thank you for the advice! But I’m mainly worried about open days? They are in this June/July and I need to choose which open days I go to
Not knowing about university at this point isn't too much of a problem. I'm a first year too doing similar subjects, and my only advice is to try to do a little research every now and then regarding course, etc; if you can decide on a course or area of study, finding information is easier. Try to locate any university open days, and visit as many as possible.
You can then research universities in more detail over the Summer holiday, as you'll apply in October (if you apply to Oxford) or November.
Jeez, I didn't know what to do until I was 26. You have loads of time, chill the **** out. Select a career you want to do first and plan around it.
From your profile, you state that you are interested in space and science. Why not try going for engineering stuff? Again you're in your first year, even if you miss the open days now, there is still a plenty chance for you next year. Also, you can look through their courses online.
Thank you for the advice! But I’m mainly worried about open days? They are in this June/July and I need to choose which open days I go to

you can go to as many open days as you want
Reply 9
The more you build your knowledge, the less you'll stress because you'll be able to consult yourself when you have a question like this and it'll make you feel more in control.

Maybe start here (University Guide Rankings), filter by subject, and whenever you see one you like Google it and read more. There's loads of information around but you don't need to worry about all of it, only the stuff that matters to you.
Also here are some good unis you can try for the subjects you mentioned: Birmingham, Cambridge, Bristol, Bath (as a backup) and Sheffield (also backup).
Original post by ctchannah
im in kinda same position with u im doing bio,chem,drama a levels :frown:
dont think i'll get an A* in chem
but im sure you'll do it just stay on the grind for the next few weeks, you'll make it out

Original post by AI3xander
Not knowing about university at this point isn't too much of a problem. I'm a first year too doing similar subjects, and my only advice is to try to do a little research every now and then regarding course, etc; if you can decide on a course or area of study, finding information is easier. Try to locate any university open days, and visit as many as possible.
You can then research universities in more detail over the Summer holiday, as you'll apply in October (if you apply to Oxford) or November.

Thanks for the advice!
no what is that?
Thanks :’v Do you have the forest app? I can add you if you want
Original post by ctchannah
no what is that?

it’s a really good app that’s gonna help you with productivity

My experience in 'higher education' is on the USA side of the pond. I suspect that things are somewhat similar on your side. I have about 45 to 50 years in as an electrical engineer. I hold a MSEE [master's degree, electrical engineering]. I have been in quite a few hiring interviews (as the candidate), as well as interviewing job candidates while I worked at various companies. Now, the number of 'unis' on this side of the pond is much larger than on your side, but in general, unless the interviewer has actually attended the same uni that you did, the chances are that he/she knows very little to nothing about it. If it is one of the 'state' universities - such as "University of Virginia", or "University of Maine", he will of course heard of it, but every state has at least one of these - so there are over 50 of them. Other schools he/she may have never heard of.

I have never met an interviewer who had ever heard of my little undergraduate uni. My graduate school uni is much larger, and - being located in Washington, D.C., and since I have done nearly all my job interviewing (as a candidate) in the D.C. area, the interviewer had at least heard of "George Washington University". Normally, they would quickly jump into specific questions related to technical courses I had taken - to see if I had acquired the appropriate technical expertise from those courses. This would go something like: "Ah, I see you have taken 'Servo Systems' - tell me, with a 'second order phase lock loop', do you have any velocity error"?? Me: "No, but you have acceleration error". [This is a 'third order' error]. This was an actual question I had directed at me on my first job interview. Surprisingly [to me], it was from a mid level manager. I was somewhat surprised that a manger would know what a servo system WAS, but this one did.

Best of luck!
I don’t have the slightest idea on applying to uni. This keeps me up at night and I’m having a panic attack right now omggg like, I want to go to a good university and I don’t have any idea on which is know for what and there are so many universities with so many course I don’t know what to choose and I can’t seem to find and info online and omg open days are coming up and I need to decide on which ones to go please please pls help me what are good universities you recommend for physics chemistry and maths? And uhhh I’m thinking applying to oxford but I don’t think I’ll get A* and there are people who are smarter than me but I really want to go to oxford but it’s the only uni I know maybe that’s why but pls help omg sorry for making you read all this but I’m having a panic attack pls help :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/
Start here ^

2 quick things:
There is no expectation or pressure that should be put on you to have a set idea of your pathways for the future, and not even that you should go to university - it's not right for everyone and plenty of people don't go.

Begin with some course ideas, do some research, think about the institution later but getting the course right is most important. Consider a joint honours if you're really unsure between a couple of subjects. The next steps are open days. If you want to chat to people about the realistic possibility of Oxford then visit the university of oxford forum. Please make a thread if you have something that you need advice on, and not something like "am I good enough" because none of us know the answer to that, and you probably don't either.

Forget about other people smarter than you, you focus on yourself. They don't matter to your university application. :yy:

People here will be able to guide you through the process and help you with every single step regardless of the course. Please ignore advice saying x is a good uni when it's about what's right for you, not about any sort of "prestige" that you think will look decent on your CV.

PM me if you need more help/advice. :smile: I'll probably get back to you tomorrow.

You're thinking early, this is good, you don't need to panic though. :hugs:
Maybe a good idea would be to book universities close to you and attend different talks like Chemistry, Physics, Pharmacy, Chemical, Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. Perhaps going to different subject talks might help you discover what you want to study. Start with universities near you in June/July. Once you have made a decision on subject you can then attend universities you are then interested for their September open days. If you are made offers you get invited to visit days so you can make your final decision based on them. If you live in South Wales look at Swansea, Cardiff and Bristol. In the west country try Bath, Bristol and Exeter. For the midlands Birmingham, Warwick and Nottingham. The North west try Manchester, Liverpool and Lancaster. For Yorkshire there is Sheffield, Leeds and York. The North east there is Newcastle, Durham and York.

https://www.opendays.com/

Thanks :’v Do you have the forest app? I can add you if you want

Going to Open Days will help you decide which subjects seem interesting at uni as you can attend several different subject talks and visit different departments - some of them will sound interesting and some will bore you to tears.

I would start with booking yourself onto a couple of uni open days that are known to be good for science and engineering - like Imperial, Bath, Southampton....you can visit 2 or even 3 different departments in a day and things will start becoming clearer for you. You've got plenty of time, it's all fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending