The Student Room Group

stuck on bench press weight

I started hitting the gym 2 years ago and I went from 58kg to 76kg (15-17)

Since the beginning, I could only lift my body weight as a one rep max and even when I gain weight I still can only do my weight as a max. For bench.

The same with my deadlift, but I can only do double my weight as a max.

And with squat I can only do 30kg above my body weight as max. Since the start.

Why is this? I have good form and I train 3 days a week (I have been doing a variety of workouts, 5x5, back bi, chest tri, legs shoulders, push-pull)

I eat around 2800 calories a day, well I try. And I eat around 60-80 of protein a day.

My stomach is also getting pretty fat and arms are like noodles. :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
You need calorie intake more than your metabolism. If they’re equal, you won’t gain weight. If it’s less, you’ll lose weight. Eat healthy and work on your fitness. Cardio works best for such stuffs. It’s gonna boast your form and health. You don’t have to worry much about lifting heavy weights. You can just work on your body weight by increasing sets.
Original post by Anonymous
I have been doing a variety of workouts, 5x5, back bi, chest tri, legs shoulders, push-pull)

I eat around 2800 calories a day, well I try. And I eat around 60-80 of protein a day.

These two are the problem. Firstly, it sounds like you're a chronic program hopper. Stick with a good program and be consistent.
60-80 grams isn't sufficient. At LEAST 100g, preferably closer to 150.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
These two are the problem. Firstly, it sounds like you're a chronic program hopper. Stick with a good program and be consistent.

Body takes these 100g and your body loses some while digesting. Your body only needs 32g protein per day.
Original post by nha.
Body takes these 100g and your body loses some while digesting. Your body only needs 32g protein per day.

No offence, but this is complete and utter nonsense, mate. Where did you even get this figure from, out of curiosity?

Firstly, leading health bodies recommend around 50-60g per day for sedentary men for health purposes. This is based on countless studies.

Secondly, the above figure is, again, for sedentary men. Partaking in a weight training program increases one's protein needs dramatically, as protein degradation is increased dramatically and this needs to be made up, and then surplus protein to contribute toward building new muscle tissue is required after the balnce is restored.
This study carried out by two of the leading training and nutrition scientists, Brad Schoenfeld and Alan Aragon, states "Based on the current evidence, we conclude that to maximize anabolism one should consume protein at a target intake of 0.4 g/kg/meal across a minimum of four meals in order to reach a minimum of 1.6 g/kg/day.". For OP being 76kg, this equates to a minimum of 121g of protein per day to maximise gains and performance.
Reply 6
Original post by nha.
You need calorie intake more than your metabolism. If they’re equal, you won’t gain weight. If it’s less, you’ll lose weight. Eat healthy and work on your fitness. Cardio works best for such stuffs. It’s gonna boast your form and health. You don’t have to worry much about lifting heavy weights. You can just work on your body weight by increasing sets.

I don't want to gain too much weight though as my stomach is getting pretty fat rn hahaha
But thanks for the help!
Reply 7

Oh, I see.
But 100g+ is hard for me to eat, can you suggest some meals? other than rice, broccoli, and meat cause I have that anyway :-)

Is the protein intake also the reason why I can't increase my body weight to lifting weight ratio? (e.g When I increase body weight I can still only bench my body weight been like that since the start)
I tried training for strength - low reps high weight but I saw little change :/
Original post by Anonymous
Oh, I see.
But 100g+ is hard for me to eat, can you suggest some meals? other than rice, broccoli, and meat cause I have that anyway :-)

Is the protein intake also the reason why I can't increase my body weight to lifting weight ratio? (e.g When I increase body weight I can still only bench my body weight been like that since the start)
I tried training for strength - low reps high weight but I saw little change :/

You need protein to be able to repair the microtears caused by weightlifting and increase hypertrophy, protein is a major component of all tissue and you need it to build. Basically if your muscles aren't repairing properly you won't increase strength.

100g isn't hard at all, Get a protein powder, they have 25g of protein per serving in most cases. Have 1 after training and one before sleep and you already achieved half of the amount.

You need to be consistently upping the weight by 2.5-5kg per week, but these things take time.

Try upping that training to 5 days a week, Sticking to pull days, push days, leg, shoulder, abs and cardio.
No offence, but this is complete and utter nonsense, mate. Where did you even get this figure from, out of curiosity?

Firstly, leading health bodies recommend around 50-60g per day for sedentary men for health purposes. This is based on countless studies.

Secondly, the above figure is, again, for sedentary men. Partaking in a weight training program increases one's protein needs dramatically, as protein degradation is increased dramatically and this needs to be made up, and then surplus protein to contribute toward building new muscle tissue is required after the balnce is restored.
This study carried out by two of the leading training and nutrition scientists, Brad Schoenfeld and Alan Aragon, states "Based on the current evidence, we conclude that to maximize anabolism one should consume protein at a target intake of 0.4 g/kg/meal across a minimum of four meals in order to reach a minimum of 1.6 g/kg/day.". For OP being 76kg, this equates to a minimum of 121g of protein per day to maximise gains and performance.

So your body fully take the 100g protein? I meant your intake isn’t fully taken as it is. 100g intake maybe in form of powder won’t just be functioned by 100g as there are losses during digesting and stuffs. Idk if you get what I mean. If you eat a 1kg chicken this means your body takes the whole protein? I don’t think so. That’s what I meant.

https://www.muscleforlife.com/the-truth-about-protein-absorption-how-often-you-should-eat-protein-to-build-muscle/

I think this article explains my nonsense.
Reply 11
https://outalpha.com/the-out-alpha-novice-program/ --> follow this programme and be consistent, as above posts have mentioned. If you're getting fat then you probably need to cut down on the kcal by a little, but definitely up the protein intake to at least 100g, go to MyProtein and use their whey protein. 100g of roasted salted peanuts will give you 25g of protein, then have 1 scoop (25g) of protein powder, which is typically 21g of protein, and that'll be 46g of protein, easy.

And also, bench press requires strong triceps, especially when locking out the weight, and racking the weight off just before the lift, as your arms are quite extended, so places a lot of stress on the triceps. If your arms are looking like noodles, then you need to work on getting them stronger, and bigger. Same thing with other lifts, squats and deadlifts require strong hip flexors and a solid core, which people often neglect.

And make sure you definitely have correct form. Many people think they lift properly, but even with bad programming, if you lift with correct form and eat well, you'll reach reasonable strength standards (i.e. much more than what you're lifting now).

Also, if anyone here doesn't lift or have knowledge in nutrition, then I suggest they refrain from posting, to avoid misleading the OP.
Original post by nha.
So your body fully take the 100g protein? I meant your intake isn’t fully taken as it is. 100g intake maybe in form of powder won’t just be functioned by 100g as there are losses during digesting and stuffs. Idk if you get what I mean. If you eat a 1kg chicken this means your body takes the whole protein? I don’t think so. That’s what I meant.

How much we actually absorb is basically irrelevant and conversing about it does nothing to help the OP, would only confuse him if anything. We have the recommendations for how much we could be consuming to do the job or building muscle, that's all we really need to go by.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
You need protein to be able to repair the microtears caused by weightlifting and increase hypertrophy, protein is a major component of all tissue and you need it to build. Basically if your muscles aren't repairing properly you won't increase strength.

100g isn't hard at all, Get a protein powder, they have 25g of protein per serving in most cases. Have 1 after training and one before sleep and you already achieved half of the amount.

You need to be consistently upping the weight by 2.5-5kg per week, but these things take time.

Try upping that training to 5 days a week, Sticking to pull days, push days, leg, shoulder, abs and cardio.

Ah thank you for the advice!

Do you think creatine will be beneficial too?

Also I still want to gain size so would cardio be a good idea?
How much we actually absorb is basically irrelevant. We have the recommendations for how much we could be consuming to do the job or building muscle, that's all we really need to go by.

Ik but for clarification, your 120gm protein intake isn’t absorbed as 120gm. That’s what I meant. Guess you misunderstood me
Original post by nha.
Ik but for clarification, your 120gm protein intake isn’t absorbed as 120gm. That’s what I meant. Guess you misunderstood me

I did misunderstand you for sure, but that's because you quoted me so it seemed to challenge my recommendation for daily protein targets and recommend a much lower amount... but yeah, either way, it's useless information, as long as we know the amount to consume to get the results then we're good.
I did misunderstand you for sure, but that's because you quoted me so it seemed to challenge my recommendation for daily protein targets and recommend a much lower amount... but yeah, either way, it's useless information, as long as we know the amount to consume to get the results then we're good.

Never taken it as a challenge. Only wanted to clarify that based upon what you said. You can eat 4 chickens with lots of peanut and broccoli and you’re bulk? It isn’t that easy.
Original post by nha.
Never taken it as a challenge. Only wanted to clarify that based upon what you said. You can eat 4 chickens with lots of peanut and broccoli and you’re bulk? It isn’t that easy.

Mate... I still don't understand what you're getting at or how the article you posted is in any way relevant to what you said :rofl:
Mate... I still don't understand what you're getting at or how the article you posted is in any way relevant to what you said :rofl:

Reread?
Original post by HGS345
https://outalpha.com/the-out-alpha-novice-program/ --> follow this programme and be consistent, as above posts have mentioned. If you're getting fat then you probably need to cut down on the kcal by a little, but definitely up the protein intake to at least 100g, go to MyProtein and use their whey protein. 100g of roasted salted peanuts will give you 25g of protein, then have 1 scoop (25g) of protein powder, which is typically 21g of protein, and that'll be 46g of protein, easy.

And also, bench press requires strong triceps, especially when locking out the weight, and racking the weight off just before the lift, as your arms are quite extended, so places a lot of stress on the triceps. If your arms are looking like noodles, then you need to work on getting them stronger, and bigger. Same thing with other lifts, squats and deadlifts require strong hip flexors and a solid core, which people often neglect.

And make sure you definitely have correct form. Many people think they lift properly, but even with bad programming, if you lift with correct form and eat well, you'll reach reasonable strength standards (i.e. much more than what you're lifting now).

Also, if anyone here doesn't lift or have knowledge in nutrition, then I suggest they refrain from posting, to avoid misleading the OP.

Thanks so much for your help!

Do you think creatine would help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending