The Student Room Group

GCSE English Lit AQA grade boundaries

How did you all find the exam?
I do Macbeth and Jekyll and Hyde
and they went okay but hmmmm idk

Scroll to see replies

Sammme I do Macbeth and Jekyll and Hyde
I think they went well AQA was nice this time!
But the grade boundaries will probably be high as soo many ppl found it easy.
Macbeth I was confused at start then it came to me slowly I’m not 100% sure all my interpretations were right for it but I tried my best.
Jekyll and Hyde was cool, the extract was easy to analyse and find quotes that link to question also.... HYDE! it’s like the easiest question!
Reply 2
i get 8/9s but the macbeth question was “how far” and i read it as “how” i only barely included him as anything but violent... :frown: idk if i would lose marks but i just said he was very violent, he solved every problem with violence (killing people if they got in the way) i said why he was violent and why he was influenced but now i dunno if i’ll lose marks :frown:
Original post by Wonyo
i get 8/9s but the macbeth question was “how far” and i read it as “how” i only barely included him as anything but violent... :frown: idk if i would lose marks but i just said he was very violent, he solved every problem with violence (killing people if they got in the way) i said why he was violent and why he was influenced but now i dunno if i’ll lose marks :frown:

Hmmm
I don’t think you’ll loose too many marks I wrote 3 1 page long paragraphs that talk about how he is violent and then I had a mini paragraph that was like 1/3 of a page about how he alternatively is weak and innocent and anything but violent.
I think the most important is you have a alternative interpretation in you thesis so that they can tick off it’s there.
If you’ve briefly gave the other side of the argument I think it’ll still count as you’re showing that you don’t fully agree.

So I guess you won’t loose that many marks
Hopefully you’ll get that 9 😁
Reply 4
Original post by Dayoestfort
Hmmm
I don’t think you’ll loose too many marks I wrote 3 1 page long paragraphs that talk about how he is violent and then I had a mini paragraph that was like 1/3 of a page about how he alternatively is weak and innocent and anything but violent.
I think the most important is you have a alternative interpretation in you thesis so that they can tick off it’s there.
If you’ve briefly gave the other side of the argument I think it’ll still count as you’re showing that you don’t fully agree.

So I guess you won’t loose that many marks
Hopefully you’ll get that 9 😁

thank you for giving me hope lol i included different interpretations for his violence for every point i made so hopefully it’s fine

i love paper 2 eng lit (must be the only one tbh 😂) so i can get my marks up there too :smile:
I felt ok about it most people in my year said they found it easy I did jekyll/Hyde and Romeo/Juliet. Probably will go up to ba honest
Original post by Wonyo
thank you for giving me hope lol i included different interpretations for his violence for every point i made so hopefully it’s fine

i love paper 2 eng lit (must be the only one tbh 😂) so i can get my marks up there too :smile:

Yh
Original post by Wonyo

I’m glad it did give you hope.
Yh also paper 2 is 60% so it will push your grade up
Any predictions of what poems it’ll be and what would you compare it to?
Reply 7
apparently people are predicting a conflict poem, so like conflict w nature (storm on the island i guess? etc) and identity (the worst ones imo D:smile:
Original post by Wonyo
apparently people are predicting a conflict poem, so like conflict w nature (storm on the island i guess? etc) and identity (the worst ones imo D:smile:

Yh
Identity... Ew
I heard it’s like poppies, tissue, kamikaze or checking out my history as they are longer ones and last year they had a short one.
Also because of identity in them, last year was nature and legacy, one before was war so yh I’m guessing one of them four.
The only problem is these four are my points of struggle like all the other ones I can ace but these four I just don’t get AT ALL.
if tissue comes up I’m screwed!
what grade do you guys think i would i get in this paper for romeo and juliet cos i'm uncertain. In my essay i introduced an arguement about how their relationship it true but audience may sometimes question it, then in first para i said the use of religious lang is blasfomous so foreshadows dangerous relationship due to how powerful it will become and i also included about how pilgrim suggests that they will be devoted to each other.

in the next i talked about how some question reality of relationship because its unworldly presentation contrasts the crude love surrounding it by mercutio and nurse which makes the're love seem unreal

and then i talked about their suicides and how they both appear to be confidant and almost blinded by their passionate relationship that they don't realise it
Reply 10
that's good. Hopefully you'll get a 7 if it was evenly structured out and well explained and layed out. Good Luck!!
Reply 11
Original post by fatimalatif806
what grade do you guys think i would i get in this paper for romeo and juliet cos i'm uncertain. In my essay i introduced an arguement about how their relationship it true but audience may sometimes question it, then in first para i said the use of religious lang is blasfomous so foreshadows dangerous relationship due to how powerful it will become and i also included about how pilgrim suggests that they will be devoted to each other.

in the next i talked about how some question reality of relationship because its unworldly presentation contrasts the crude love surrounding it by mercutio and nurse which makes the're love seem unreal

and then i talked about their suicides and how they both appear to be confidant and almost blinded by their passionate relationship that they don't realise it

That's good. Hopefully you'll get a 7 if it was evenly structured out and well explained and layed out. Good Luck!!
first para Romeo and juliet i talked about the sonnet and the semantic field of both the physical and religous combining. i also talked about shakespeare giving juliet a reply unlike other 16th century novel which show a greater sense of feminine power.
next para i talked about romeos unrequited love for juliet in contrast to his love for juliet.
final para i discussed the balcony scene.

can someone please tell me if this content and structure is alright for the question
Original post by Wonyo
i get 8/9s but the macbeth question was “how far” and i read it as “how” i only barely included him as anything but violent... :frown: idk if i would lose marks but i just said he was very violent, he solved every problem with violence (killing people if they got in the way) i said why he was violent and

I said he was aggresive and brave as he is fighting for his country but as the play the progresses the intention behind the violence differs
Original post by tamilore11
I said he was aggresive and brave as he is fighting for his country but as the play the progresses the intention behind the violence differs

"Unseamednfrom the have to the chops'' and ''sword his wife his babes and all unfortunate souls""
What sorta theses did you all come up with?

I do Macbeth and Jekyll & Hyde and came up with for:

Macbeth: Macbeth is presented as violent at times when he is subservient to another, such as his army commander, Lady Macbeth and the Witches and this inability to be violent when thinking alone led to his downfall.

Jekyll and Hyde: Hyde is intentionally portrayed by Stevenson to be the complete antithesis of what it means to be a Victorian gentleman.
Reply 16
Original post by Wonyo

I feel u <3
Reply 17
Jekyll and Hyde seemed too good to be true
Reply 18
I did bad
Original post by rrrude
How did you all find the exam?
I do Macbeth and Jekyll and Hyde
and they went okay but hmmmm idk

Did both Macbeth and Jekyll and Hyde didn’t do too much revision but it was pretty easy considering the mock I did for it. Wondering if they made it easier but upped the grade boundaries hope not lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending