The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Maths Paper 1 and 2 8MA0 - 15th/22nd May 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

The crashmaths papers were easier in comparison. What line did you guys get for the linear model? I couldn't really understand what to do :/
Original post by cmuld
For the tin question part C(maybe) I think they asked you to find the amount of tin mined in 2023, as opposed to the part A which was up to 2020 or whatever. So you had to do the equation for n+1 and subtract n. At least this is what I did? Saw it was a 2 mark and re read the question and spotted it was differently worded

yeah i agree i think. I believe i worked out how much they’d mined in 4 years (up to jan 1st 2023) and then up to 5 years (jan 1st 2024) then took them away to work out how much was mined in the year 2023 was like 100 and something.
wait is everyone saying that the last question was 15.0° because I used some whack guessing method to get 15 and was certain that I was wrong
Original post by PureHeroine
basically got similar answers to you
well done for getting the last question 😂 only a handful of people in my year understood it
Original post by PureHeroine
The crashmaths papers were easier in comparison. What line did you guys get for the linear model? I couldn't really understand what to do :/

have to use H=at+b (i think it was H and t) then sub in both values to get two equations and then solve them simultaneously to get an equation.
Reply 85
Original post by gradeguesser
yeah i agree i think. I believe i worked out how much they’d mined in 4 years (up to jan 1st 2023) and then up to 5 years (jan 1st 2024) then took them away to work out how much was mined in the year 2023 was like 100 and something.

Sweet yeah that’s what I did and got something like 100
Original post by soyfisher
wait is everyone saying that the last question was 15.0° because I used some whack guessing method to get 15 and was certain that I was wrong

yup im sure you got the correct answer
have to use H=at+b (i think it was H and t) then sub in both values to get two equations and then solve them simultaneously to get an equation.

ohhhhhh makes sense. thanks
The unofficial markscheme can be found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5947140

Feel free to discuss the paper on that thread so that more people can find it
OH NO I DID 2022 and 2023 I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT COMPLLED ME IM SO ANNOYED
Original post by cmuld
Sweet yeah that’s what I did and got something like 100
Reply 89
Well i need to revise stats/ mechanics that paper was like 20 pages and so hard....
Reply 90
Original post by hd...
Well i need to revise stats/ mechanics that paper was like 20 pages and so hard....

Indeed hopefully can cram enough revision in in the next 6 days ☹️
Yh i subbed in n=5 tne n=4 then i used the difference
I'm sitting these papers too. I found pure today okay, a few of the questions were a bit out there but honestly not the worst... hope I'm not jinxing myself! Stats+mechs is definitely my downfall... praying for a nice paper ! Good luck for all of your exams:smile:
Original post by Rudav123
I’m not sure what you mean, these are the papers and dates etc ...
7C900052-D698-41BA-9D65-99BB4A3DFD5B.jpg.jpeg
79C6A8EF-235C-4BAC-AC47-70FF831B1C87.jpg.jpeg
Reply 93
Original post by Megan Vingoe
I'm sitting these papers too. I found pure today okay, a few of the questions were a bit out there but honestly not the worst... hope I'm not jinxing myself! Stats+mechs is definitely my downfall... praying for a nice paper ! Good luck for all of your exams:smile:

I agree I was okay for most of the front of the paper but the last few I really think didn’t go well but oh well I’ll move on and try my best for next week (which will likely go worse for me!).
Good luck to you also.
Reply 94
hey guys, please if anyone could help. The bronze silver gold papers.. Should i do them or should i do solomon papers or what exactly im soooooo lost 😭
Reply 95
do both if u have time but there isn't many crash maths papers for further
I'm really confused. In Stats & Mechanics, when do you leave your answer as a fraction? When should you leave the answer as it is, or to 2 significant figures or to 3 significant figures? When marking past papers, the mark scheme doesn't show any consistency and I'm worried I'm gonna lose stupid marks here.
I'm pretty sure its 135, you found 15 degrees and you had 30 degrees you then did 180-30-15 = 135
Original post by soyfisher
I am sooooo not ready for stats and mechanics, like I hope pure saves my grade
Who’s got some answers for the Stats and mech paper we just done?!

Quick Reply

Latest