Edexcel AS Maths Paper 1 8MA0 Unofficial Markscheme 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrRhino
180 - 30 - 15?

What did you get? 15 or 135?
Reply 81
Original post by Ryan0887
What did you get? 15 or 135?

I got 135 but I feel as if I may have read the question wrong.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MrRhino
I got 135 but I feel as if I may have read the question wrong. 135 is correct if the 30degrees was between m and n.

the 30 was between m and n.
the 30 was between m and n.

The 15 was between n and m-n
Reply 84
The 15 was between n and m-n

That’s what I thought.
(edited 4 years ago)
I actually went ahead and decided to draw a right angled triangle and say a^2 + b^2 = (a+b)^2 so thats why a(mag) + b(mag) = a+b(mag)
Does that sound retarded??? It said geometrically so that's all I could come up with last minute. Let me know if I'm completely out of the question rn
Original post by helloman1
For the last question on vectors about a+b (mag) = a (mag) + b(mag)
I just said the length of a AND b combined was equal
yea SAME oof
Original post by bellell
I said that it didn't take into account other factors that could affect the value of the car, such as mileage and damages to the car.
Reply 87
Original post by sealion420
I actually went ahead and decided to draw a right angled triangle and say a^2 b^2 = (a b)^2 so thats why a(mag) b(mag) = a b(mag)
Does that sound retarded??? It said geometrically so that's all I could come up with last minute. Let me know if I'm completely out of the question rn

a^2 b^2 does not equal (a b)^2 for all values of a and b. For instance a right angle triangle with lengths 3, 4, 5. 3 4 doesn’t equal 5. I thought it meant that the vectors must be parallel (geometrically if you add two parallel vectors together they make a new vector of mag(a b) because you’re simply adding two lengths together as the angle is constant) [my plus signs don’t appear to be working]
(edited 4 years ago)
So how did you follow up in part 2?
Original post by MrRhino
a^2 b^2 does not equal (a b)^2 for all values of a and b. I thought it meant that the vectors must be parallel (geometrically if you add two parallel vectors together they make a new vector of mag(a b) because you’re simply adding two lengths together as the angle is constant)
Reply 89
So how did you follow up in part 2?

As in with m and n?
yes
Original post by MrRhino
As in with m and n?
Reply 91
yes

Using the sin() rule: Sketch two vectors m and n with an angle of 30 between them, add a third side to create a triangle (m-n I think it was) and use sin rule to calculate the other angle which was 15 I believe. Finally 180 - 30 - 15 to get the remaining angle. (please correct me if I’m wrong)
(edited 4 years ago)
I think a B would probably be between 90-100. So you probably need another 40 marks.

Original post by kazim323
I think I got 53, what do you lot think i have to get on paper 2 to get a b
Do you understand how grade boundaries are set? It's +-20 marks not just 8 marks extra.
Original post by itskxmil
Well done idiot. Last year the A grade was 65% and I said it would be around 70% this year.
Reply 94
Original post by ItsRyaaaaaaaan
Do you understand how grade boundaries are set? It's +-20 marks not just 8 marks extra.

So what do you think will be a C?
Original post by MrRhino
Using the sin() rule: Sketch two vectors m and n with an angle of 30 between them, add a third side to create a triangle (m-n I think it was) and use sin rule to calculate the other angle which was 15 I believe. Finally 180 - 30 - 15 to get the remaining angle. (please correct me if I’m wrong)

Yes, that's the way I did it.
Nah, our paper was very straight forward though, like if you had the knowledge then the questions didn't have much to it
Original post by Unicornstudent
Last years paper was so much more straight forward than this paper like yeh lots of easy ish questions but I done last years and this years and I am in Year 13 doing these I have an extra year and I found this year harder than last year
I just said after a certain amount of years the value of the car shows no depreciation, which would be invalid.
yea SAME oof
Original post by ak113
trig question:
a) Had to show that a trig identity equals to -5cosx+4

prove: (10sin^2(x) - 7cos(x) + 2) / (3 + 2cos(x)) = 4 - 5cos(x)
solve: (i didn't even have time to ****ing do it... :frown:)
(10(1 - cos^2(x)) - 7cos(x) + 2) / (3 + 2cos(x))
(10 - 10cos^2(x) - 7cos(x) + 2) / (3 + 2cos(x))
let cos(x) = x
(10 - 10x^2 - 7x + 2) / (3 + 2x)
( - 10x^2 - 7x + 12) / (3 + 2x)
- (10x^2 + 7x - 12) / (3 + 2x)
- (x - 4/5)(x + 3/2) / (3 + 2x)
- (5x - 4)(2x + 3) / (3 + 2x)
the two 2x + 3 cancel out left with:
- (5x - 4) = - 5x + 4 = 4 + 5cos(x) done.
Original post by ItsEuan
how are people finding FM so hard, it was easier than 2018 paper

i think it was mainly the time for me... and most of the people in my college...

Quick Reply

Latest