The Student Room Group

I received an unconditional offer

Hi there I received an unconditional offer from a college. What do I do next? I live in Ireland so I don't understand the ucas system that well. What do I do? Do I have to accept that offer or do I wait? It says it's an unconditional offer and also have to arrange some other things? What funding do students get in UK if any?
Original post by Sorchamcgee
Hi there I received an unconditional offer from a college. What do I do next? I live in Ireland so I don't understand the ucas system that well. What do I do? Do I have to accept that offer or do I wait? It says it's an unconditional offer and also have to arrange some other things? What funding do students get in UK if any?

Have you applied to any other places? If so, you should wait for all your replies to come back. If not, you can accept this offer via UCAS- you'll have a deadline to do this by.

WRT funding, each UK nation has their own funding body. If you live in RoI, you won't be entitled to funding in England or Wales but you will in Scotland, as you're an EU national. I'm not sure what the rules are in NI. If you tell us where the uni is, people can advise further.
You would get tuition fee funding for the duration of your course.

No maintenance loans though.

Source: I'm an EU student.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Have you applied to any other places? If so, you should wait for all your replies to come back. If not, you can accept this offer via UCAS- you'll have a deadline to do this by.

WRT funding, each UK nation has their own funding body. If you live in RoI, you won't be entitled to funding in England or Wales but you will in Scotland, as you're an EU national. I'm not sure what the rules are in NI. If you tell us where the uni is, people can advise further.
Reply 3
I've applied to 5 college's and had interview with Bournemouth uni and got an unconditional offer. I wasn't successful in any of the rest. If it's an unconditional offer am I guranteed a place ?

I've applied to 5 college's and had interview with Bournemouth uni and got an unconditional offer. I wasn't successful in any of the rest. If it's an unconditional offer am I guranteed a place ?

Yes, although some offers can have no academic conditions but rely on you passing a DBS check etc. Depending on how your offer is worded, there may be some admin things you need to do to secure your place.
Reply 5
What's a DBS check? Also do I have to reply straight away I don't see on it and where to accept offer? Or will they contact me again?
Yes, although some offers can have no academic conditions but rely on you passing a DBS check etc. Depending on how your offer is worded, there may be some admin things you need to do to secure your place.
What's a DBS check? Also do I have to reply straight away I don't see on it and where to accept offer? Or will they contact me again?

A DBS check is a criminal background check, which is required for some courses (e.g. healthcare, education).

You should have been given a deadline which you need to reply by- this may be on your UCAS application. You also accept via UCAS.

The uni/ucas won't necessarily contact you again until you accept.
Reply 7
I'm after checking my ucas there and 2 universities haven't replied to my application. So I probably won't be able to accept until they get back to me is that correct?
Will they ask me for a DBS or will they automatically do that themselves?
If you are certain this is the university you want to go to you can reject the 2 places who havent replied and make that university your firm choice. As far as funding you need to comment the body responsible as things may be different depending on where you live. Once you have accepted a university you will be able to apply for accommodation there.
I'm after checking my ucas there and 2 universities haven't replied to my application. So I probably won't be able to accept until they get back to me is that correct?
Will they ask me for a DBS or will they automatically do that themselves?
Congratulations on your offer!

You can either wait for the other universities to respond (offer you a place or reject), or accept our offer now (via UCAS), this means you can also book your accommodation. Did you apply after the 15th January? You can see a list of deadlines here.

With regards to student finance, as an EU student, you will get a loan for your tuition fees, these can be found on the course page. You can apply for finance now via Student Finance England and you can read more about eligibility here.

Which course have you received an offer for, most won't require a DBS - again this should be listed on the course page, but is most common on our healthcare courses where you will undertake placements with vulnerable people e.g. nursing degrees. Media courses wouldn't require this unless you decide to take a placement where the company you work for requires this.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please ask.

Vicki

Hi Vicky.

How do I get a DBS ? Through the university? I went to my local Garda station and they said I can't get my own Garda vetting done myself that the college will have to do that? Or is that incorrect?

I'm doing occupational therapy in Bournemouth, so how do I decline other colleges that I'm waiting for a decision from?
Original post by BU Students
Congratulations on your offer!

You can either wait for the other universities to respond (offer you a place or reject), or accept our offer now (via UCAS), this means you can also book your accommodation. Did you apply after the 15th January? You can see a list of deadlines here.

With regards to student finance, as an EU student, you will get a loan for your tuition fees, these can be found on the course page. You can apply for finance now via Student Finance England and you can read more about eligibility here.

Which course have you received an offer for, most won't require a DBS - again this should be listed on the course page, but is most common on our healthcare courses where you will undertake placements with vulnerable people e.g. nursing degrees. Media courses wouldn't require this unless you decide to take a placement where the company you work for requires this.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please ask.

Vicki

Up
Hi, firstly you should be able to reject and accept your offers when you log in to your UCAS account. Once your have done that you should receive a confirmation email from UCAS and BU about your place on the course.

With regards to DBS checks, these are usually submitted when you enrol at uni (the first week), although the NHS Students page suggests doing this before you arrive. It also states that you'll be able to apply once you have your student log in details. The DBS will be required before you start your placement as you'll be working with vulnerable people, rather than your actual course. Your application is processed through the university and would as far as I'm aware need to be done within the UK system.

I would suggest getting in touch with [url= [email protected]]Ask BU about this particular case to see if there is anything you can action in advance.

I hope this helps, please don't worry about the DBS, the university will confirm what and how you should progress with your enrollment once you have accepted your place via the UCAS website.

Let us know how you get on.

Vicki
Hi Vicky.

How do I get a DBS ? Through the university? I went to my local Garda station and they said I can't get my own Garda vetting done myself that the college will have to do that? Or is that incorrect?

I'm doing occupational therapy in Bournemouth, so how do I decline other colleges that I'm waiting for a decision from?

Up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending