The Student Room Group

Edexcel M3 15th May Post- Exam (UK Spec)

Scroll to see replies

the highest it's ever been for an A* is 72 and the lowest it's ever been (for a non-R non IAL) was a 69? I think?
Haha I was quietly thinking the exact same as you :smile:
Original post by supalape
Ok so realistically lads we all bottled it somewhere in this exam, let’s just pray that it’s a common occurrence and the grade boundaries are alright
Reply 42
Original post by dalliant
the highest it's ever been for an A* is 72 and the lowest it's ever been (for a non-R non IAL) was a 69? I think?

2014 was 68 for an A* and I think that paper was marginally easier or the same so here’s hoping
oh my god was the cone hollow.
yeah you’re right, I remember now I divided my left side (3/20) by 2/15 to get 9/8. Thank fk
Looooooooooooooooooooooooool
oh my god was the cone hollow.
i made the ratios of the masses into 7:5:2 but was the cone solid? or hollow? because i see you have a h/3 and isnt that for a hollow cone? ? ? was that **** hollow are you serious.
Original post by ilazakristudent
Height of the cone is 100% 9h/8.

(3h/4)(M+(2M/5))=(M)(h/2)+(2M/5)(h+H/3), where H is the height of the cone.
Reply 46
i made the ratios of the masses into 7:5:2 but was the cone solid? or hollow? because i see you have a h/3 and isnt that for a hollow cone? ? ? was that **** hollow are you serious.

It was hollow my guy sorry lol
Hollow bro :s-smilie:. My maths teacher was right, the highest scorers make the least silly mistakes, it's literally down to these type of mistakes.
This is for resits, right?

I have added this thread to the exam index under resits so people can easily find it.

Best of luck for your remaining exams.
Okay so was the final part about the time for 0.4m of the SHM question worth 7?

I didn’t realise to divide by S at the end of it, and I also somehow used the amplitude as 0.5 rather than 0.8, but my SHM equation was correct, and my working out was all correct for the amplitude I used. How much do people think these errors will be penalised?
Screenshot 2019-05-15 at 19.17.19.png ok listen up. the ticks are the correct answers and the crosses are what i put. if only one character is wrong in each one, and that's everything. how many marks are we looking at. i want to set myself on fire.
The first one you ticked is still wrong i think.The reason why you did 1cos10 is because of the way you thought everything was lined up, the same reason you did sine. So instead, it would just be 1-3tan10, because the distances 3tan10 aswell as 1, are both perpendicular to the plane face.
Screenshot 2019-05-15 at 19.17.19.png ok listen up. the ticks are the correct answers and the crosses are what i put. if only one character is wrong in each one, and that's everything. how many marks are we looking at. i want to set myself on fire.
after some more devastating news, i repose my question, how many marks my guy
The first one you ticked is still wrong i think.The reason why you did 1cos10 is because of the way you thought everything was lined up, the same reason you did sine. So instead, it would just be 1-3tan10, because the distances 3tan10 aswell as 1, are both perpendicular to the plane face.
Reply 53

If you assumed the cone to be solid instead of hollow I reckon you’d lose 2-3 marks, definitely one for the final answer. But I’m certain you’d get 1 mark for the COM of the other thing (forgot what shape it was now lmao)
None I guess, maybe 1 for the 6sin10
after some more devastating news, i repose my question, how many marks my guy
the whole thing was 4 marks tho. one for final answer and one for the error i reckon? but what about the other one. they were both worth 4 marks so do u reckon i'd get 2 for method for each?
If you assumed the cone to be solid instead of hollow I reckon you’d lose 2-3 marks, definitely one for the final answer. But I’m certain you’d get 1 mark for the COM of the other thing (forgot what shape it was now lmao)

Diagram for what you're talking about.

Spoiler

I'm so annoyed at the fact that I become so aware of the questions after the Exam and not in the Exam, whyyy, this always happens!!
Original post by I hate maths
Diagram for what you're talking about.

Spoiler

Reply 58
I'm so annoyed at the fact that I become so aware of the questions after the Exam and not in the Exam, whyyy, this always happens!!

lol story of my life

I hate these further maths exams, you have to basically ace them to get a decent mark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending