The Student Room Group

Finding a house share for next year is being a nightmare

So yeah due to things I couldn’t get a house with my friends. When everyone was organising in Nov - Feb

On my uni’s buy and sell page people post up their rooms. I message them when I am interested and talk to them get to know each other etc..

We organise a meeting but a few days before I get a message saying the space has been filled. This is the 4th time this has happened to me.
Reply 1
Probably becuase they want to fill them up as quickly as they can. You'll likely have to stop with the early stage chit-chat, regrettably.
Original post by MongoDB
Probably becuase they want to fill them up as quickly as they can. You'll likely have to stop with the early stage chit-chat, regrettably.

Yeah either that or their friends pop up and their friends get preference.

I just thought it would be best if I organise a house visit but I’m probably just going to have to go for it without a visit
Reply 3
Original post by SuperHuman98
Yeah either that or their friends pop up and their friends get preference.

Possibly; that's most likely an improbable occurence though, if I were in the same situation I'd run it through friends before getting to the point of putting an advert online.

Regardless, I can imagine it's an absolute ballache.
So yeah due to things I couldn’t get a house with my friends. When everyone was organising in Nov - Feb

On my uni’s buy and sell page people post up their rooms. I message them when I am interested and talk to them get to know each other etc..

We organise a meeting but a few days before I get a message saying the space has been filled. This is the 4th time this has happened to me.

Have you thought about booking a room with a private Halls provider like Unite or whatever you have in your area? They normally have vacancies quite late into the year

It might be that you need to organise a visit ASAP before the getting-to-know-them bit sadly, so that you can get your 'bid' in first. It might also be helpful to go via the landlord/letting agency if you can get their details.

As another poster suggested, if you can't find a room in a house, the other (but sadly more pricey) option might be to get a room in privately owned halls, as their availability throughout the year is usually pretty good.
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
Have you thought about booking a room with a private Halls provider like Unite or whatever you have in your area? They normally have vacancies quite late into the year

Aren't these notoriously expensive? I know a few people who are going into these next year - all international students, all paying something along the lines of £200-250 a week for the privilege.
Original post by MongoDB
Aren't these notoriously expensive? I know a few people who are going into these next year - all international students, all paying something along the lines of £200-250 a week for the privilege.

The majority are, yes. In my old halls, the largest studio size cost £245 per week. I think the cheapest and smallest room size with a shared kitchen (although still ensuite) was £105 per week.
Original post by MongoDB

I thought they were too but I've seen a few people on TSR claim that they can be cheaper then Halls on campus at their unis so :dontknow: Might be worth OP checking out this option at least
Original post by PhoenixFortune
It might be that you need to organise a visit ASAP before the getting-to-know-them bit sadly, so that you can get your 'bid' in first. It might also be helpful to go via the landlord/letting agency if you can get their details.

As another poster suggested, if you can't find a room in a house, the other (but sadly more pricey) option might be to get a room in privately owned halls, as their availability throughout the year is usually pretty good.

Idk

They are the ones who suggest meeting etc. I just want a house visit but tbh now I’m just not going to think of house visiting I’m desperate. I really hope I see another opening so I can sort this all out before exams finish

This is all pretty soul destroying at this point, trying to block out the negative thoughts

Hello,

So sorry to hear you are having trouble finding somewhere live in the next academic year. Sometimes these pages can be very unreliable.

It may be best to start looking for yourself, do this by approaching estate agents directly or perhaps you could ask your university support team who should be able to suggest accommodation that is still available.

I hope you find somewhere soon,
Charlotte :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending