The Student Room Group

A level options

Scroll to see replies

Chemistry, Biology, Maths, German and and EPQ
Original post by DeathTheSister
I do Psychology and would like to give you a little disclaimer. Psychology is a HEAVY content subject, with a lot of stuff to learn. Even if you know it, at A Level they are peculiar with phrasing and structuring the answer. Like I might get marked down by saying 'can' instead of 'could' in the middle of the essay. Psychology in general is considered a hard subject, mainly due to the strictness of your answers and the amount of content you need to learn. Would honestly advise you to only take A Level Psychology if you are interested in the subject or need it for future applications. I know you didn't directly say that Psychology is easy but would just like to point this out if you were planning on taking Psychology because it is easy.

I was going to exactly take psycology because it was an easy A lmao thanks tho I think I'll stick to maths I do enjoy it even tho it's hard
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by tm_24
Out of curiosity, what are you picking for your A-Levels?

Maths
Biology
Chemistry/ geography not sure out of the two
I did an EPQ. Bit of a pre-warning advice though. Make sure to start your EPQ research and write up early. Seriously, you won't regret it if you do.
Original post by mpaprika
Chemistry, Biology, Maths, German and and EPQ
Original post by Nuria11
Maths
Biology
Chemistry/ geography not sure out of the two

those are 2 completely different subjects if your leaning towards a future in medicine keep chem its hard but many universities have it as an requirement
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Gemmamaexoxo
I’m currently in my 2nd year of studying Law and Sociology if there are any questions you have :smile:.

What has been your favourite legal case?
Original post by xavoa
What has been your favourite legal case?

Wow that’s a tough question! Probably one of the shocking ones like R v Brown where the D’s were performing S & M acts or R v Lipman where the D was high off LSD and thought his girlfriend was a snake and killed her.
biology
chemistry
maths
further maths
Original post by baldrica
I am second year studying Maths, Geology and Modern History. Let me know if you want to know anything about these subjects :smile:

Oh yeah, and I did an EPQ in my second year :smile:
I chose math FM physics
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology

fun times
Original post by DeathTheSister
I did an EPQ. Bit of a pre-warning advice though. Make sure to start your EPQ research and write up early. Seriously, you won't regret it if you do.

thanks for the advice haha, I think we do it in year 12 in our school so maybe I'll start thinking about it over the summer
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Currently in Year 13 and doing A-Level history, economics and sociology. Happy to answer any reasonable questions. :smile:

Do you have any tips especially in terms of essay structure for history and sociology? :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by KawaiiArtist
Do you have any tips especially in terms of essay structure for history and sociology? :smile:

History
Source Qs - Get straight to the different sources and say whether they support the view of the question, consider COPRU (Context, Origin, Purpose, Reliability and Usefulness) of the source and the typicality of the source as well, i.e. does said author of the source has a vested interest etc.

Intro: Outline your line of argument
Main Paragraphs: Different factors relating to your line of argument
Conclusion: Refer back to the question and your line of argument

Thematic essays is similar but you need to use 'synthesis' and make comparisons across the period. Your teacher will teach you that in Year 13.

Sociology
It really depends on the type of question and for what topic.
If it's a for/against or internal factors/external factors kinda format, I would aim for at least 3 paragraphs on both sides and an A03 evaluation point for the different sides + a conclusion. If it's a methods in context question/theories and methods, it's very similar but you need an introduction briefly explaining what the RM is and whether it's preferred by positivists or interpretivists - examiners love this. Then you give strengths and weaknesses of the RM in researching a particular topic in education or if it's theories and methods, it's usually broad. If there's few strengths, just move to weaknesses and add more than 3 if you can and for your conclusion you should suggest an alternative RM that may be better suited and briefly explain why.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you so much! I'm home educated so I have to figure all this out myself so this information is really really helpful! Do you have any tips for ensuring that you're analyzing and not narrating in your essays?
History
Source Qs - Get straight to the different sources and say whether they support the view of the question, consider COPRU (Context, Origin, Purpose, Reliability and Usefulness) of the source and the typicality of the source as well, i.e. does said author of the source has a vested interest etc.

Intro: Outline your line of argument
Main Paragraphs: Different factors relating to your line of argument
Conclusion: Refer back to the question and your line of argument

Thematic essays is similar but you need to use 'synthesis' and make comparisons across the period. Your teacher will teach you that in Year 13.

Sociology
It really depends on the type of question and for what topic.
If it's a for/against or internal factors/external factors kinda format, I would aim for at least 3 paragraphs on both sides and an A03 evaluation point for the different sides + a conclusion. If it's a methods in context question/theories and methods, it's very similar but you need an introduction briefly explaining what the RM is and whether it's preferred by positivists or interpretivists - examiners love this. Then you give strengths and weaknesses of the RM in researching a particular topic in education or if it's theories and methods, it's usually broad. If there's few strengths, just move to weaknesses and add more than 3 if you can and for your conclusion you should suggest an alternative RM that may be better suited and briefly explain why.
Reply 55
Thank you so much! I'm home educated so I have to figure all this out myself so this information is really really helpful! Do you have any tips for ensuring that you're analyzing and not narrating in your essays?

No worries. I'm not too good with the thematic essays and there isn't really a set structure but I can try sending what a good sample essay looks like.
That's a very question. I think it's important that you read the question carefully looking at the command words of the question and that you have a clear line of argument that you keep referring to throughout your essay. That way you're less likely to swerve into a narrative style in your essays. :smile:
Thanks again! I'd really appreciate it if you could send me the sample essay x
No worries. I'm not too good with the thematic essays and there isn't really a set structure but I can try sending what a good sample essay looks like.
That's a very question. I think it's important that you read the question carefully looking at the command words of the question and that you have a clear line of argument that you keep referring to throughout your essay. That way you're less likely to swerve into a narrative style in your essays. :smile:
Reply 57
Thanks again! I'd really appreciate it if you could send me the sample essay x

DM me and I'll send it when I can - quite busy with revision for next week.

Quick Reply

Latest