The Student Room Group

L3 Mathematical studies/core maths exam 2019

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone did the Paper 1 Core Maths exam today? If you did, how did you find it? What Paper 2 do you do? What do you reckon is going to come up in Paper 2?
I know very little people study this as it is such a new course but really wanted to talk to someone about it :smile:

(Sorry should have mentioned, I do AQA!)
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

did you do AQA?
Not sure how I feel tbh I no that the last question I got £91 million but I only did one side of the motorway forgot it went both ways 😫😂 should have been approx £180 million
Reply 3
Original post by niyatixxx
did you do AQA?

Yes :smile:
Reply 4
No me neither, wasn't as bad as I was expecting though. Well as long as you stated your assumptions then I'm sure it will be okay/you'll at least get some marks for the method so don't stress over it too much. I can't exactly remember what number I got but I know I underestimated the length of the M1 so I don't think I got £180 million haha :smile:
Original post by Nathanclark2563
Not sure how I feel tbh I no that the last question I got £91 million but I only did one side of the motorway forgot it went both ways 😫😂 should have been approx £180 million
been so difficult to find a thread about this exam aha but tbh I didn't find it too bad but slightly unconfident on the histograms but that's just a general weakness
Hey! I found the exam better than I thought it would be, i messed up on the last question though as I didn’t read the question properly so I kept making mistakes and having to redo it which led to me running out of time. How did you find it? I do paper 2A, I’m not very confident with paper 2 as I always get confused with normal distribution questions :frown:. Apparently a lot of people found the exam easy and was pleased with it so I’m hoping the grade boundaries won’t be too high, people have also said that because paper 1 was nice, they think paper 2 is going to be very hard to make up for it, but I’m not sure :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by Chll23
Hey! I found the exam better than I thought it would be, i messed up on the last question though as I didn’t read the question properly so I kept making mistakes and having to redo it which led to me running out of time. How did you find it? I do paper 2A, I’m not very confident with paper 2 as I always get confused with normal distribution questions :frown:. Apparently a lot of people found the exam easy and was pleased with it so I’m hoping the grade boundaries won’t be too high, people have also said that because paper 1 was nice, they think paper 2 is going to be very hard to make up for it, but I’m not sure :s-smilie:

Hi!
I'm glad you found it better than you thought it would be - I did too, although some of the questions took me a little while to get my head around & I'm not sure I did enough to get all the marks but I guess only time will tell. Ah no!! I must admit, quite a lot of people said to me that they had felt they messed up on the last question but as long as you stated your assumptions and had a go, I'm sure you'll pick up some marks along the way so don't stress! Yeah, I found it okay thanks, messed up the box plot question and had to kind of squish them onto the grid as I ran out of space so hopefully the examiner can see them okay. I do paper 2A as well - yeah I find it more tricker than paper 1 and the wording of questions are often more difficult too. I heard that too, I guess we've done it now so can't do anything about grade boundaries but they can't change dramatically from last year so hopefully it will be okay. I must admit, I did think that Paper 2 might be a bit nasty but lets hope not lol, you'll have to let me know how you find it!! I've got mock exams on at the moment as well so trying to revise for them & maths has been a bit of a nightmare but luckily I've got Monday and Tuesday off of next week to practice in so hopefully it should be okay. Good luckkkk!!!! :smile:
Same here! Like working out the second histogram question took me a while, and I can totally relate I was looking at my working out and the number of marks there was and I don’t know if I’ve done enough but like you said only time will tell. Yeah that’s true, hopefully I will pick up some marks! Ah I hope the examiner can see them well, I’m sure it will be okay. Yesss I agree! I still don’t even fully understand critical analysis to be honest, I’m hoping i’ll wrap my head around it soon. I’m not sure if I prefer paper 1 or 2 as for paper 2 there’s less to learn but it’s more complex I think, but we’ll just have to see how it is on the day. I will do, you will have too as well! X omg I can relate to a certain level! I’ve got my mocks coming up in June and everyone’s revising right now for them but I can’t revise for them until core maths is out of the way as my brain just can’t function :bawling:, I’m struggling to manage them both to be honest and I can’t wait for core maths to be over so I can start straight away on revising for the mocks. I’ve got Tuesday off for core maths so hopefully i’ll cram most of it in then so I can attempt to make revision notes on my other subjects. I hope your exams go well! Good luck!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:
Original post by Lydia.Mx
Hi!
I'm glad you found it better than you thought it would be - I did too, although some of the questions took me a little while to get my head around & I'm not sure I did enough to get all the marks but I guess only time will tell. Ah no!! I must admit, quite a lot of people said to me that they had felt they messed up on the last question but as long as you stated your assumptions and had a go, I'm sure you'll pick up some marks along the way so don't stress! Yeah, I found it okay thanks, messed up the box plot question and had to kind of squish them onto the grid as I ran out of space so hopefully the examiner can see them okay. I do paper 2A as well - yeah I find it more tricker than paper 1 and the wording of questions are often more difficult too. I heard that too, I guess we've done it now so can't do anything about grade boundaries but they can't change dramatically from last year so hopefully it will be okay. I must admit, I did think that Paper 2 might be a bit nasty but lets hope not lol, you'll have to let me know how you find it!! I've got mock exams on at the moment as well so trying to revise for them & maths has been a bit of a nightmare but luckily I've got Monday and Tuesday off of next week to practice in so hopefully it should be okay. Good luckkkk!!!! :smile:
Does anyone remember what they got for the income tax question?
Reply 10
does anyone remember what they got at all for all questions. cuz i wrote my answers on a pierce of paper so i can compare
Reply 11
Original post by Buspollaw
Does anyone remember what they got for the income tax question?

I got £280 something which meant that he could afford the mortgage. What did you get??
Reply 12
Original post by dgraves
does anyone remember what they got at all for all questions. cuz i wrote my answers on a pierce of paper so i can compare

Wow you remembered all the q's
Reply 13
Original post by dgraves

Q1) primary, qualitative
Q2) because she chooses cars in intervals so not all cars have an equal chance of being chosen
Q?) £280 something so yes he can afford the mortgage
Q?) C3*1.05
Q?) 833 minutes to get ready for yr 10 students
Q?) 15 females in the age range
Q?) january 2021 when he had to pay back his first repayment
Q?) first repayment £61.something
THATS ALL THE ANSWERS I COULD REMEMBER
I did that £61 figure /12 getting £5 something :frown:
And I think I got 19 females
Hi everyone,

I'm stressing like crazy now. I'm in second year and doing Level 3 Core Maths alongside my 3 A Levels. I need an A in Core Maths to get into the uni that I've accepted so am feeling really anxious. I initially thought the paper was really easy (which makes me think paper 2 is going to be hell) but now I'm reading over this and driving myself crazy. Here's all the answers I put that I can remember:
Q1) Primary qualitative
Q2) As she chooses the cars this is systematic sampling, its not truly random
Q?) The income tax one - I think I got like £287? something like that which meant that he could afford the mortgage payments (I'm always nervous with National Insurance and Tax because with Tax I think you only pay tax on taxable income whereas with NI it's all income?? Idk if this is right)
Q?) 15 females for the stratified sample
Q?) 29 people for the TV show
Q?) The mother had to invest £2650 to get 20,000?
Q?) Jan 2021
Q?) The first monthly payment was £5 something, as I divided 60 by 12???
Q?) Box and whisker plots - The recent intro time was really squashed and short, smaller IQR and lower median meant they're shorter on average and more consistently short
Q?) With the one where the woman had bought the house. I assumed the interest was actually 2.45%? as it said what is the MINIMUM amount and that it had been rounded to 2sf? I feel like I probably got this wrong
Q?) The last one - I'm SO annoyed. I calculated the length of the M1 as 216 miles (just from using the map thing and estimation) but then I forgot to double my final amount of £80 something million at the end for the whole motorway!! So I'm really annoyed as I must have lost loads of marks for this
Q?) The second part of the last one: I put that my assumption of the M1 being 216 could have altered the final amount I got (either decreased/increased due to over/under assumption)

Anyone else get anything similar??
Who's doing paper 2A next week? I've got three A Level exams next week so really can't focus on it and am stressing!
I did this too

All those answers seem similar to mine, apart from the compound 18th birthday one (£7000 something).
Also doing paper 2A with A level exams next week. I’m not sure paper 2A has much content, as long as you learn the core topics, it’ll go well.
Original post by CharlotteJames
Hi everyone,

I'm stressing like crazy now. I'm in second year and doing Level 3 Core Maths alongside my 3 A Levels. I need an A in Core Maths to get into the uni that I've accepted so am feeling really anxious. I initially thought the paper was really easy (which makes me think paper 2 is going to be hell) but now I'm reading over this and driving myself crazy. Here's all the answers I put that I can remember:
Q1) Primary qualitative
Q2) As she chooses the cars this is systematic sampling, its not truly random
Q?) The income tax one - I think I got like £287? something like that which meant that he could afford the mortgage payments (I'm always nervous with National Insurance and Tax because with Tax I think you only pay tax on taxable income whereas with NI it's all income?? Idk if this is right)
Q?) 15 females for the stratified sample
Q?) 29 people for the TV show
Q?) The mother had to invest £2650 to get 20,000?
Q?) Jan 2021
Q?) The first monthly payment was £5 something, as I divided 60 by 12???
Q?) Box and whisker plots - The recent intro time was really squashed and short, smaller IQR and lower median meant they're shorter on average and more consistently short
Q?) With the one where the woman had bought the house. I assumed the interest was actually 2.45%? as it said what is the MINIMUM amount and that it had been rounded to 2sf? I feel like I probably got this wrong
Q?) The last one - I'm SO annoyed. I calculated the length of the M1 as 216 miles (just from using the map thing and estimation) but then I forgot to double my final amount of £80 something million at the end for the whole motorway!! So I'm really annoyed as I must have lost loads of marks for this
Q?) The second part of the last one: I put that my assumption of the M1 being 216 could have altered the final amount I got (either decreased/increased due to over/under assumption)

Anyone else get anything similar??
Who's doing paper 2A next week? I've got three A Level exams next week so really can't focus on it and am stressing!
Reply 19

😭😭😭 I didn't read the q and didnt /12

Quick Reply

Latest