The Student Room Group

Should I bring my Gaming Pc / Console to University?

Starting first year University in September and will be living in a student accommodation.

I use my pc for gaming as a hobby along with schoolwork if needed. I would use it in my spare time in my room , however I haven’t seen many people bringing game consoles or pcs to their rooms. Is there problems doing this like Uni WiFi blocking it or is it just rare so I don’t see it often?

Thanks ! 😊
Original post by Keown x
Starting first year University in September and will be living in a student accommodation.

I use my pc for gaming as a hobby along with schoolwork if needed. I would use it in my spare time in my room , however I haven’t seen many people bringing game consoles or pcs to their rooms. Is there problems doing this like Uni WiFi blocking it or is it just rare so I don’t see it often?

Thanks ! 😊

Do you think you will use it often?
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
Do you think you will use it often?

I will use it often but am perfectly capable of balancing work and deadlines.
Original post by Keown x

Thanks ! 😊

Everyone has a computer for work.
I personally would take the PC with me.

It shouldn't effect wifi or anything like that. It obviously just depends on the wifi speed and bandwidth.

And I know many who have taken them so dw about it.

And if you were thinking about buying a laptop too, then get a cheap one. Then when you go back to your room you have a bigger screen and more powerful machine. Or you could just take notes with pen and paper lol
Reply 5
I plan on taking mine as I'm not a fan of using laptops expecially as I as I already have a better device, it'd mean I spend less time in coffee shops but will save time as I will be working in my room without distractions. It is also much harder to break, lasts longer and is faster by a mile, the only downside being the portability, I don't see anything wrong with it otherwise.

Also my course is a lot of clinical work so not too many essays (hopefully).

I do belive some things are WiFi blocked but a lot less than there used to be though, just check with the uni just in case.

I'll be living in student accommodation but it's less than a minutes walk from my lectures so I can quickly pop home type up my notes ahd get on with my day without the need to charge my laptop or haul it around.
Are you going to take it back and forth between your university and home for term time and holidays? If that seems too much of a hassle then I'd just leave it at home where you will probably game more.

EDIT: This is assuming you don't have a separate laptop to do work on.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Max1989
I plan on taking mine as I'm not a fan of using laptops expecially as I as I already have a better device, it'd mean I spend less time in coffee shops but will save time as I will be working in my room without distractions. It is also much harder to break, lasts longer and is faster by a mile, the only downside being the portability, I don't see anything wrong with it otherwise.

Also my course is a lot of clinical work so not too many essays (hopefully).

I do belive some things are WiFi blocked but a lot less than there used to be though, just check with the uni just in case.

I'll be living in student accommodation but it's less than a minutes walk from my lectures so I can quickly pop home type up my notes ahd get on with my day without the need to charge my laptop or haul it around.

At my one things were ONLY blocked on WiFi. E.g. if you have can plug your pc in through Ethernet you get unrestricted internet.
Reply 8
Original post by 100yoMAGApede
At my one things were ONLY blocked on WiFi. E.g. if you have can plug your pc in through Ethernet you get unrestricted internet.

Oh that's cool, I'm sure my uni room has ethernet access so hopefully it's the same for me, thanks.
Mine's gathering dust.
If u r able to balance, well n good
I wouldn't unless I have a death wish
Original post by Keown x

Thanks ! 😊

I took my pc, PS4 and PS3, definitely do not regret any of it, at my particular uni nothing was blocked
Ill be taking my main big desktop pc and monitor etc. Im also going to buy a good laptop and take that with me, so when I come home i can just bring my laptop and lave the pc.
Absolutely yes, if it's practical to do so.
Original post by monotony
If u r able to balance, well n good
I wouldn't unless I have a death wish

"Death Wish" calm down there. I had 17% attendance in first year, got a 1st. 30% in second year and got a 2:1. And in third year I had 26% attendance and got a 2:1 overall.

It's not about working harder, it's about working smarter.
Many people bring consoles/other gaming stuff with them to university. It can be helpful when making friends and also can fill any dead time you have during the week (as long as you make sure that you get your assignments done :wink:).
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
"Death Wish" calm down there. I had 17% attendance in first year, got a 1st. 30% in second year and got a 2:1. And in third year I had 26% attendance and got a 2:1 overall.

It's not about working harder, it's about working smarter.

Appreciate your advice!
addiction stops making me smart tho
Reply 17
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
I took my pc, PS4 and PS3, definitely do not regret any of it, at my particular uni nothing was blocked

What University did you attend?

Quick Reply

Latest