The Student Room Group

How to go from high Bs to consistant As in two weeks

Hey guys, hope the revision is treating you all well

I am in Year 13 and am doing Biology (OCR A), Chemistry (OCR B) and Maths (Edexcel), needing to get AAA to get to my firm choice. In all the past papers I do at home I've been consistently getting high Bs. While it isn't bad, they are not the grades I need. I have been doing past papers from the old spec and the new spec and either way I've been getting the same grades for about a month now. How can I get the extra few marks to get As, consistently, within two weeks?

Original post by TheOptical

I am in Year 13 and am doing Biology (OCR A), Chemistry (OCR B) and Maths (Edexcel), needing to get AAA to get to my firm choice. In all the past papers I do at home I've been consistently getting high Bs. While it isn't bad, they are not the grades I need. I have been doing past papers from the old spec and the new spec and either way I've been getting the same grades for about a month now. How can I get the extra few marks to get As, consistently, within two weeks?

You need to look at mark schemes and id where you are losing missing marks. It m,ay be factual or technique. Marks schemes and examiners reports plus teacher may help. If you can id where the marks are, then add to your notes or resit the paper with reduced time to make it a bit harder.
While it is not a bad idea to do lots of past papers, id recommend trying to solidify your subjects knowledge by doing active recall and going over the topics you are struggling the most. However, MARK SCHEMES are your best friend.
Original post by TheOptical

Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
You need to look at mark schemes and id where you are losing missing marks. It m,ay be factual or technique. Marks schemes and examiners reports plus teacher may help. If you can id where the marks are, then add to your notes or resit the paper with reduced time to make it a bit harder.

Thanks for the reply :smile: I find a lot of the time, I lose the marks simply because of exam technique. I feel like I have good knowledge, it's just writing what they want, how it is said on the mark scheme. How would you go about fixing that?

Original post by MaherphD
While it is not a bad idea to do lots of past papers, id recommend trying to solidify your subjects knowledge by doing active recall and going over the topics you are struggling the most. However, MARK SCHEMES are your best friend.

Cheers for replying :smile: Yes! Active recall all the way! It's just hard to identify what needs work on at this stage of the game :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest