The Student Room Group

History graduate wanting to do a Masters in Marketing

Hello,

Looking for advice about pursuing a Masters in Marketing. I graduated with a 2:1 in History last year and I am interested in doing marketing MA at Sunderland. Does anyone have any advice about going into marketing from an unrelated undergraduate degree? Is it difficult to get accepted onto the course if you lack experience in the field? My latest job was as a library assistant so completely unrelated to what I am wanting to have a career in. I have applied for a charity position as a communications and marketing volunteer during the summer, is this a good idea? Thanks.
Original post by tellisia
Hello,

Looking for advice about pursuing a Masters in Marketing. I graduated with a 2:1 in History last year and I am interested in doing marketing MA at Sunderland. Does anyone have any advice about going into marketing from an unrelated undergraduate degree? Is it difficult to get accepted onto the course if you lack experience in the field? My latest job was as a library assistant so completely unrelated to what I am wanting to have a career in. I have applied for a charity position as a communications and marketing volunteer during the summer, is this a good idea? Thanks.

The charity position sounds a brilliant idea to get some marketing work experience - my daughter did a similar thing by doing a 3 month internship at Cancer Research that helped her to get her first job in Marketing. She also did an MSc in Marketing (at Reading Uni) after doing a first degree in Psychology. I don't know anything about the course at Sunderland but I can tell you that she was able to get accepted onto the course at Reading with no relevant work experience (she did her internship after the course). Also, I'm sure you learnt some transferable skills in your library job such as working in a team and communicating with the public.
I don't see an issue, Marketing degrees take any degrees. I do Business and you definitely don't need any prior knowledge for marketing.
Hello,

Reply 3
Thank you for your response, it was very helpful and encouraging. I hope your daughter is doing well!
Original post by harrysbar
The charity position sounds a brilliant idea to get some marketing work experience - my daughter did a similar thing by doing a 3 month internship at Cancer Research that helped her to get her first job in Marketing. She also did an MSc in Marketing (at Reading Uni) after doing a first degree in Psychology. I don't know anything about the course at Sunderland but I can tell you that she was able to get accepted onto the course at Reading with no relevant work experience (she did her internship after the course). Also, I'm sure you learnt some transferable skills in your library job such as working in a team and communicating with the public.
Reply 4
Thank you, that's very good to know :smile:
Original post by Themysticalegg
I don't see an issue, Marketing degrees take any degrees. I do Business and you definitely don't need any prior knowledge for marketing.
What motivated you to go into Marketing out of interest? :tongue: I honestly had similar thoughts to you when I applied for Public Policy from Business.
Thank you, that's very good to know :smile:

Original post by harrysbar

Ah Henley Business School. I love that place!
Hello,

Have you looked into conversion degrees? They're at a master's level,usually last for a year and normally don't require experience since it's a conversion degree.
They don't need any background experience for the MA in Marketing. They just need to show their motivations and passion for going into Marketing on their personal statement. I think MA's in Marketing are basically conversion degrees judging by the modules available they are the same as the ones offered for a Bachelors Business/Marketing degree.
Original post by I'mPooPoo
Have you looked into conversion degrees? They're at a master's level,usually last for a year and normally don't require experience since it's a conversion degree.
(edited 4 years ago)
They don't need any background experience for the MA in Marketing. They just need to show their motivations and passion for going into Marketing on their personal statement. I think MA's in Marketing are basically conversion degrees judging by the modules available they are the same as the ones offered for a Bachelors Business/Marketing degree.

So basically my information was redundant. :colondollar:
Noooo now I feel poo :laugh:
Original post by I'mPooPoo
So basically my information was redundant. :colondollar:
Noooo now I feel poo :laugh:

It's all good. :banana2:

Quick Reply

Latest