The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Physics unit 2 (Old Syllabus) WPH02 May 2019

Hello everyone, this thread is For physics old syllabus. The exam is on 17 may. Feel free to discuss your problems and ask questions here.

January 2019 Papers can be found here: https://m.facebook.com/notes/edumaestro/edexcel-exam-materials-all-qualifications-gcse-igcse-gce-ial/236083640431373

For unit 2 notes, you can use physicsmathstutor.com

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hellooo!
Original post by ree.x09
Hellooo!

Hi
Reply 3
Do you have any revision note containing a list of all the definitions required for unit 2?
Reply 4
Will solving papers from 2019jan to 2015 be enough?
Original post by ree.x09
Will solving papers from 2019jan to 2015 be enough?

Yeah I think its enough. Go to physics maths tutor and they have flashcards for definitions. Most of the definitions are from electricity
Reply 6
Original post by usman200186
Yeah I think its enough. Go to physics maths tutor and they have flashcards for definitions. Most of the definitions are from electricity

Thanks a lot. You’re really helpful!
How do we find radiation flux? I cannot ffind any formula in my book.....
And what about the 2nd part? We divide 4590J by 110JIMG_20190516_044655-compressed.jpg.jpeg
And I have another question, why is it beneficial to use potential divider in a circuit?
How do we find radiation flux? I cannot ffind any formula in my book.....
And what about the 2nd part? We divide 4590J by 110JIMG_20190516_044655-compressed.jpg.jpeg

The first part is easy. You're told to find Radiation Flux (A.K.A Intensity) and Intensity = Power / Area (Check the back of your book if you're using the Miles Hudson one)
Since you're given energy, you can use, Power = Energy / Time and find intensity afterwards (P.S. Time is 1 hours so 602 seconds)

2nd part states that, you need to find the efficiency which is, (Useful Energy Output / Total Energy Input) x 100 ---> Here that'd be, (110 J / 4590 J) * 100 = 2.4%

And I have another question, why is it beneficial to use potential divider in a circuit?

I've also found these 2 links:

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider
(2) https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-advantages-of-voltage-divider

Let me know where you found the potential divider question so I could see the mark scheme and compare my answers. Cheers!
Original post by mechguffin
I've also found these 2 links:

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider
(2) https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-advantages-of-voltage-divider

Let me know where you found the potential divider question so I could see the mark scheme and compare my answers. Cheers!

Thank you soo much for explaining all this cu i was a bit confused in intensity and radiation flux, but they are just the same thing. this past paper is january (IAL) 2017
Yeah i don’t understand the potential divider questions at all. What does a potential divider do? Can someone please explain in short? Or links to any videos?
Original post by ree.x09
Yeah i don’t understand the potential divider questions at all. What does a potential divider do? Can someone please explain in short? Or links to any videos?

Same, my concept is that potential divider changes the voltage in circuit like it can control the circuit. Cuz if you change voltage, the current changes so does resistance.
Can someone please explain me how 13(c) is done. Which formula they using?
Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Here’s the markscheme
Attachment not found
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14

You can reduce the p.d to 0
It does not affect the current
Reply 15
Original post by ree.x09
Can someone please explain me how 13(c) is done. Which formula they using?
Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Here’s the markscheme
Attachment not found

13 c) u use the equation hf=work function +K.E
the mass in KE will be the mass of an electron (found in ur data booklet) andddd thats it?
Reply 16
Same, my concept is that potential divider changes the voltage in circuit like it can control the circuit. Cuz if you change voltage, the current changes so does resistance.

same here, spent all of yesterday finding anything to explain it but basically it doesnt affect the current
so rheostats (variable resistors) alter the current
Potential dividers alters the voltage
just remember that i guess😂
Reply 17
Guys40C78074-293C-4CC0-8A81-AF29B94E8791.jpg.jpeg pleasee can anyone explain to me the answer to this question (second part)
Original post by 686868t
Guys40C78074-293C-4CC0-8A81-AF29B94E8791.jpg.jpeg pleasee can anyone explain to me the answer to this question (second part)

You gotta use ratios.

R1 / R2 = R3 / R4

120 / 295 = 110 / R4 ----> R4 = 110 / (120/295) ---> R = 270 Ohms
Reply 19
Original post by mechguffin
You gotta use ratios.

R1 / R2 = R3 / R4

120 / 295 = 110 / R4 ----> R4 = 110 / (120/295) ---> R = 270 Ohms

thankss!

Quick Reply

Latest