The Student Room Group

Unable to meet firm and insurance offers conditions, please advise.

Hello,

I am currently weeks away from finishing my access to higher education course and hold a conditional offer from UCL (23 credits distinction and the rest at merit or higher) which I chose as a firm offer, and an insurance offer from Birkbeck university (15 credits distinction and 30 merit or higher).

So far I have achieved 15 credits at Distinction, 6 credits at Merit and I still have 3 assignment to hand in worth 18 credits plus a 6 credit worth assignment being graded. This particular assignment didn't go so well I missed my deadline and was overwhelmed by the task because of mental health and stress related issues and didn't communicate this to my tutor or ask for an extension. My tutor has actually said I did so well on the assignment but yesterday she realised that the assignment deadline was missed and told me that it will be capped at a pass because of this.

It is completely my fault but I'm so distraught because this means I won't meet any of the conditions of my offers after a year of hard work and despite my good results. I will have to apply through clearing but I really wanted to get into UCL or Birkbeck and was wondering if there is anything I can do to meet these requirements assuming that I will achieve 12 credits at distinctions and 6 credit at merit in my coming assignments.

I have contacted my tutor for help regarding this and I'm waiting on their response, I was hoping someone can offer me some guidance here.

Thank you for your help and for taking the time to read this.
Original post by T.Staton
Hello,

I am currently weeks away from finishing my access to higher education course and hold a conditional offer from UCL (23 credits distinction and the rest at merit or higher) which I chose as a firm offer, and an insurance offer from Birkbeck university (15 credits distinction and 30 merit or higher).

So far I have achieved 15 credits at Distinction, 6 credits at Merit and I still have 3 assignment to hand in worth 18 credits plus a 6 credit worth assignment being graded. This particular assignment didn't go so well I missed my deadline and was overwhelmed by the task because of mental health and stress related issues and didn't communicate this to my tutor or ask for an extension. My tutor has actually said I did so well on the assignment but yesterday she realised that the assignment deadline was missed and told me that it will be capped at a pass because of this.

It is completely my fault but I'm so distraught because this means I won't meet any of the conditions of my offers after a year of hard work and despite my good results. I will have to apply through clearing but I really wanted to get into UCL or Birkbeck and was wondering if there is anything I can do to meet these requirements assuming that I will achieve 12 credits at distinctions and 6 credit at merit in my coming assignments.

I have contacted my tutor for help regarding this and I'm waiting on their response, I was hoping someone can offer me some guidance here.

If you can get more distinctions than they are asking for it might balance out the pass? The only other thing I can think of would be to wait and see on results day if they’re willing to accept you below the requirements they set out if you explain about struggling with your mental health. I’m also on an access to he course so I understand the stress at this point in the year realising offers might not be met, the dread seeps in with each assignment handed in.
Your tutor will probably know more about what to do or you could seek out advice from the careers service assuming you’re studying at a college.
What subjects you struggling on? Why didn't I apply to UCL or these other places, I maxed just about everything on my course, damn.
Hello,

Talk to UCL and Birkbeck - they may well have some flexibility over the grades they will accept from you - particularly if your tutor is willing to explain that your pass is only a pass because of the late submission.

Don't assume that missing the conditions means an automatic rejection. Every application is reviewed by a human being when results come through to decide whether to accept or reject.
Reply 4
Original post by HobbinsE
If you can get more distinctions than they are asking for it might balance out the pass? The only other thing I can think of would be to wait and see on results day if they’re willing to accept you below the requirements they set out if you explain about struggling with your mental health. I’m also on an access to he course so I understand the stress at this point in the year realising offers might not be met, the dread seeps in with each assignment handed in.
Your tutor will probably know more about what to do or you could seek out advice from the careers service assuming you’re studying at a college.

Thank for your reply. it's actually a distance learning course so there is no careers services but we do have a student support number. I will wait for my tutor's response and put in extra effort to achieve distinctions in the rest of the assignment but it's a lot of work with a full time job. Once my results are in I will speak with both universities and hope for the best! Thanks again.
Reply 5
Original post by random_matt
What subjects you struggling on? Why didn't I apply to UCL or these other places, I maxed just about everything on my course, damn.

I struggled with a Criminology research project that took so much time and effort, I had to learn so many skills regarding research, data collection and analysis with very little resources. My main problem was having to set deadlines for myself before I actually have access to the assignment, so I found myself always asking for extensions. With this particular assignment I had too much on my plate and I just couldn't cope and had a complete shutdown.
I struggled with a Criminology research project that took so much time and effort, I had to learn so many skills regarding research, data collection and analysis with very little resources. My main problem was having to set deadlines for myself before I actually have access to the assignment, so I found myself always asking for extensions. With this particular assignment I had too much on my plate and I just couldn't cope and had a complete shutdown.

I know it is hard when you have a full time job etc, I was lucky that I did not and spent all my time on the course. I guess suggesting time management is probably simpler said than done, a calendar perhaps?
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Talk to UCL and Birkbeck - they may well have some flexibility over the grades they will accept from you - particularly if your tutor is willing to explain that your pass is only a pass because of the late submission.

Don't assume that missing the conditions means an automatic rejection. Every application is reviewed by a human being when results come through to decide whether to accept or reject.

Thank you that gives me some hope. I will wait for my final results and contact them.
Reply 8
Original post by random_matt
I know it is hard when you have a full time job etc, I was lucky that I did not and spent all my time on the course. I guess suggesting time management is probably simpler said than done, a calendar perhaps?

I have tried a few things, it's especially difficult because I have ASD and struggle with executive functions. I'm going to enroll in time management classes this summer in preparation for university.
I have tried a few things, it's especially difficult because I have ASD and struggle with executive functions. I'm going to enroll in time management classes this summer in preparation for university.

Good luck.
Thank you that gives me some hope. I will wait for my final results and contact them.

Ring them up today - don't wait. They'll be able to tell you what happens if you miss your conditions and the sorts of things that they take into account. The sooner you have the conversation with them the more options you have.
Thank for your reply. it's actually a distance learning course so there is no careers services but we do have a student support number. I will wait for my tutor's response and put in extra effort to achieve distinctions in the rest of the assignment but it's a lot of work with a full time job. Once my results are in I will speak with both universities and hope for the best! Thanks again.

Hope it all works out for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending