The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maria23456789
guys whos ready for chemistry tomorrow

Definitely not me!!! I'm freaking out slightly 😬
Yes I did. I incorporated some context about divine right and how God made him reluctant to be violent towards Duncan aswell as the other side of the argument.
I also said how his violence was overpowered by Lady Macbeth which swapped gender stereotypes etc.
It wasn't that good. Rly worried.

Original post by MariamGEEK
anyone talk a little about how he is not as violent as he seems but he becomes paranoid by the repercussions of his actions and becomes guilty?
Original post by LackJee0
At an estimate, which grade would this reference to the bible and the overall link to the theme of religion get in this Macbeth exam:

In Macbeth, Shakespeare constantly uses the theme of religion, primarily to frighten the Jacobean audience of the time. Macduff calls Macbeth a "hell-hound" which could suggest that Macbeth is a violent "hound" simply killing because of a desperate blood lust. On the other hand, this could also suggest that Macbeth is destined to go to "hell" which contrasts with Macbeth saying "plead like angels" when about to kill Duncan. The use of the word "angels" implies that Duncan is going to heaven as he was a great King and widely respected across the country. However, this foreshadows that Macbeth must go to hell as he has disturbed the great chain of being and therefore must be punished by God. Shakespeare includes this detail because it represents how Macbeth's violence has led him to a disastrous death, reflecting what would happen if a Jacobean audience plotted the same murder of King James I as the majority of people at the time opposed him. In the bible, it says "whoever conceals their sins does not prosper" which links directly to Macbeth's situation as he himself has "concealed" his sins and he has nothing to show for it, only death. Of course, a reader of the time would most likely recognise this link because many people then were strongly religious and to therefore to question this link would be to question God himself. This would have been considered a great fear of many in that time.

(roughly what I wrote for one point)

It’s really good but where is the reference to the extract?
it wasn’t that bad...it could have been a lot worse I feel

Original post by lilyrose270
Ahh same! I revised so many complex themes so finding out that it was on the treatment of male characters was quite underwhelming :/
thats fine! i really dont think it will affect ur mark because in school we were taught to answer how and how far questions the same - if you just wrote about how he is ur basically agreeing with the statement. In english essays we werent taught to do. an agree and disagree since its supposed to be a consecutive point u dont switch sides as it looks uncertain and unsophisticated. saying agree/disagree jus makes you sound confusing and may drive you away from the focus of the question

Original post by MariamGEEK
I'm really worried, coz I did talk about him as violent but also not that violent :frown:
Original post by arty3mi
Yo, Can you tell me the great expectations question because I'll be doing it for my mocks? I'd really appreciate it. Just PM me please as I really need it.

Haha sorry but i’m not trying to lose my qualification by giving u the question, good luck for next year though!
Original post by freya122
What the hell was the Macbeth extract there was hardly any violence in there. I hope I pass I’m only in year 10 :frown:

Smoked bloody execution, unseamed from the naves to the chaps.
You should do well seeing as you are doing it a year early, your school must think you are capable of doing so
25-30 lmao, how do you think it went?
Original post by The_Wassa
I had roughly 40 minutes to write about frankenstein wby
Thank you this had made me feel a lot better , I just thought it was Macbeth so I wrote about him being violent to an extent because he had the opportunity to turn from loyal to betrayal but how worthy could mean he didn’t take action , therefore he isn’t all a violent character. I’m worried that it would not be linking it to the extract though because it was the wrong character
Original post by Emsygirl28
No, you're okay! In a way Macbeth was a rebel, maybe that will earn you something.
And you've still got two other paragraphs to score some marks!

Besides, the essay is only 20% of your grade. In the end it's not too much.
Wait but wasn't the question about violence? It's prolly fine to add any reference you want but I can't see a link to whether he's portrayed as violent or not
Original post by LackJee0
At an estimate, which grade would this reference to the bible and the overall link to the theme of religion get in this Macbeth exam:

In Macbeth, Shakespeare constantly uses the theme of religion, primarily to frighten the Jacobean audience of the time. Macduff calls Macbeth a "hell-hound" which could suggest that Macbeth is a violent "hound" simply killing because of a desperate blood lust. On the other hand, this could also suggest that Macbeth is destined to go to "hell" which contrasts with Macbeth saying "plead like angels" when about to kill Duncan. The use of the word "angels" implies that Duncan is going to heaven as he was a great King and widely respected across the country. However, this foreshadows that Macbeth must go to hell as he has disturbed the great chain of being and therefore must be punished by God. Shakespeare includes this detail because it represents how Macbeth's violence has led him to a disastrous death, reflecting what would happen if a Jacobean audience plotted the same murder of King James I as the majority of people at the time opposed him. In the bible, it says "whoever conceals their sins does not prosper" which links directly to Macbeth's situation as he himself has "concealed" his sins and he has nothing to show for it, only death. Of course, a reader of the time would most likely recognise this link because many people then were strongly religious and to therefore to question this link would be to question God himself. This would have been considered a great fear of many in that time.

(roughly what I wrote for one point)
Can I just rant about how I hate it when teachers put kids in yr 10 or whatever to go real GCSEs because often they get a 5 or 6 or 7 whereas if you left them they'd have gotten a 9
finally, paper 1 is done
'things without remedy should be without regard. whats done is done' - L. Macbeth
I really need to start quoting an inspector calls now.
im in year 10....still i'd rather do it this year and get it out the way
Original post by cirrostratus
Can I just rant about how I hate it when teachers put kids in yr 10 or whatever to go real GCSEs because often they get a 5 or 6 or 7 whereas if you left them they'd have gotten a 9
I actually would have felt more confident doing it in the year I studied it all in but in a way I agree, Singh song and Banquo, Macbeth and the supernatural, I'd rather not
Original post by cirrostratus
I've just got paper 2 to revise for now...aic and power and conflict
Original post by Alina2019
Just for an idea becuase im reading what other people put
I did Macbeth and talked about masculinity and how people and men in the Victorian era had to keep up standards and if they didn’t they would be ripped of their masculinity so ‘brave macbeth’ is acting like that as he wants to portray masculinity and Shakespeare wants to please king James so he shows how his character kills the enemies for the king and the audience would of thought Macbeth was Nobel ‘Nobel macbeth’
I can’t remember more but that was one paragraph

I did Dr Jekyll n Mr H and I wrote about Charles Darwin’s theory and I wrote about Hyde trampled calmly but I said this shows how he is not ‘inhuman’ and I argued against as he could be representing a society that would have killed he girl anyway .. etc etc I heard that argument against the trampled calmly was grade 9 analysis so I put it in by luck even though I’m a grade 6 student

you mean jacobean era
Im studying the same. How are you planning to revise?
Original post by phillip_a9000
I've just got paper 2 to revise for now...aic and power and conflict
yeah um...@Alina2019 Macbeth was written in 1606 which is the Jacobean era not the Victorian. Unless you were talking about Jwkyll and Hyde, which is set in the victorian era
I'm gonna learn key quotes, context and ideas, form stuff for both
Original post by fatheha123
Im studying the same. How are you planning to revise?
Original post by Purplebottle
Same, my p&p question was just a mess i really didn’t answer it properly I’m so worried

Did you get Mr and Mrs Bennet?

Latest

Trending

Trending