The Student Room Group

Retaking a subject (Gcses)

So i did english literature this year and i ****ed up so bad i forgot to put how it would effect the reader. Anyone know what happens if you retake it and if it looks bad?
Original post by Dhini
So i did english literature this year and i ****ed up so bad i forgot to put how it would effect the reader. Anyone know what happens if you retake it and if it looks bad?

Dont panic. Put it to the back of your mind and spend time on your remaining exams.

1. People are sometimes very poor at estimating their own exam performance, so it may not be as bad and could be much better than you think. Does sound bad.
2. It is only one GCSE and they are mostly about the grade than the subject. English and Maths at a 6 are handy plus any subject you wish to take at A level is better if it is 6+.
3. You can retake next year , but probably not worth it. You will have to pay.
4. Does it look bad? Not much importance is given to it and A levels including predicted grades are way more important. Universities wont care, except for a few courses like Medicine and even then it is only certain unis and if you have plenty of other GCSE then it wont matter.

Dont worry.
Reply 2
the thing is i want to do medecine and ill probably get a 9 in most subjects other then french and english and they are going to look so bad. Its english im worried about cause i didnt talk about impact on reader and idk just bit worried thats all
Original post by 999tigger
Dont panic. Put it to the back of your mind and spend time on your remaining exams.

1. People are sometimes very poor at estimating their own exam performance, so it may not be as bad and could be much better than you think. Does sound bad.
2. It is only one GCSE and they are mostly about the grade than the subject. English and Maths at a 6 are handy plus any subject you wish to take at A level is better if it is 6+.
3. You can retake next year , but probably not worth it. You will have to pay.
4. Does it look bad? Not much importance is given to it and A levels including predicted grades are way more important. Universities wont care, except for a few courses like Medicine and even then it is only certain unis and if you have plenty of other GCSE then it wont matter.

Dont worry.
Original post by Dhini
the thing is i want to do medecine and ill probably get a 9 in most subjects other then french and english and they are going to look so bad. Its english im worried about cause i didnt talk about impact on reader and idk just bit worried thats all

Even for med school, if most of your GCSEs are strong (7+) you'll have plenty of places you can apply to.

The A-levels you'll be starting next year will be tough, with lots of content to learn. You'd be much better off focusing on them than retaking English lit. You'd still have to declare the retake on UCAS, so it wouldn't give you much benefit.
Reply 4
k then and plus i still have paper 2 to improve my mistakes thanks for your help
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Even for med school, if most of your GCSEs are strong (7+) you'll have plenty of places you can apply to.

The A-levels you'll be starting next year will be tough, with lots of content to learn. You'd be much better off focusing on them than retaking English lit. You'd still have to declare the retake on UCAS, so it wouldn't give you much benefit.
Original post by Dhini
k then and plus i still have paper 2 to improve my mistakes thanks for your help

That's the spirit :h:

For now, I'd try to put things behind you and focus on the end goal, which is a good set of strong GCSEs- try not to think about worst case scenarios until you get your results in the summer. It's much better to try and move forwards and focus on the next exam.
Original post by Dhini

as long as you do well on your language it should be okay. Everywhere ive seen (uni, apprenticeships, jobs) look for a pass in English language and maths
Original post by Mariam2701
as long as you do well on your language it should be okay. Everywhere ive seen (uni, apprenticeships, jobs) look for a pass in English language and maths

Some uni courses do also look at an overall academic profile. Medicine is one of these. OP is correct in thinking that if they get mainly 4/5/6 or lower, they'd be much less competitive (assuming they still want to do medicine in 2 years time).
i have a feeling im going to fail maths but when I retake it sixth form I will get good grade im bad at maths I revise maths but when it comes to exam I forget everything
Original post by Dhini

It wont matter much at all. You are making a much bigger issue of it than it is. It wont affect you application as long as you have Eng lang at a 6. Time worrying about something youve been told doesnt matter is time you could be spending doing more worthwhile things. A levels are many many times more important.

Quick Reply

Latest