The Student Room Group

I need help! I Just cant loose weight so matter what!!! :(

I have gained so much weight recently at uni.
I just cant loose it and I feel so insecure,angry,upset and abit depressed.

Every day i tell myself 'ok starting diet from tomorow' and i try eating healthy but then i just get REALLY REALLY bad cravings and then i just end up eating so much chocolate and crisps to fill myself and satify my cravings. It just a daily cycle and i just keep getting fatter

Low key keep like im binge eating cas i just eat and eat and eat even when im full.

I just cant stop. I need help
What can I do ?!??
I also want to cook healthy/filling meals but i just dont know what i can eat

I am willing to put the hard work in but I just need some guidance on what to eat/how to stop cravings and tips

Im really struggling! Please help.
Why not for the diet you go, say, a week only eating healthy foods and on the weekend give yourself a little treat as a reward?
IM not in uni, im in year 10 but i can give you tips
all my life ive been underweigt and i just cant seem to gain it
i have friends desperately trying t lose weight

its hardd
but i say:
diet(but dont starve yourself)
always eat healthy
do exercise
try to always cook your own foods
eat more fruit
a really good way to discipline yourself, get healheir (and in some cases lose weight) is to fast
fasting has been scientificaaly proven to have great health benefits so give it a go
Oh and drink plenty of water

with a good lifestyle change (food,exercise etc) you could lose some weight

All i know is losing weight can be difficult- its not as easy as gaining weight
good luck and i hope you can do it! i wish you all he best and i hope i could help!
Is there anything you like from eating chocolate and crisps, such as sweetness, texture, flavor? You can find healthier alternatives to those food. Say instead of milk chocolate for example, switch to dark chocolate. Instead of crisps, try something like popcorn (not the microwaved versions) or carrots.

But otherwise, the simplest advice I can offer is to start slow! Personally, I was raised to have a very bad diet and due to personal circumstances, I fell into a bunch of cycles of binging, starving, etc. All in all, horrible relationship with food until I decided to turn that around last May, and I've lost 13 kgs so far (I think that's like 2 stones according to Google). So start going for slightly healthier alternatives first (like the ones I mentioned above), then gradually keep moving onto food that will nourish you which you will eventually like.

Also try exercising! It may be difficult at first, so try something you like, such as a sport, or maybe go for walks outside. Or if you (like to) play video games, you could try playing games on the Wii or Kinect if you own them, or play Just Dance Now using your phone and a screen like your laptop (note that you can only play 2 songs every 24 hours ). Just make sure you do something you enjoy because you'll really feel good at the end and it'll turn into a routine.

For cooking, try finding recipes you've always wanted to try/eat. Imo it doesn't really matter much what it is (at first at least) because it's way better than eating outside or buying processed/packaged foods. Saves money too! As a suggestion try eating foods with protein or fiber (so like meat,eggs, tofu or fruits, green/leafy veggies) as it keeps you fuller for longer.

As for binging, as I mentioned I struggled with that too. It's difficult...but for me it was due to circumstances. So make sure you take care of your mental health if you're stressed or going through a rough time! (Try meditation perhaps?). If it's not due to any emotions, then maybe try tracking your calories with apps like MyFitnessPal so you could be more mindful. (Unless if you have suffered from an eating disorder then I would advise against this method as it involves calorie restriction)

Also one thing that really helped me change my perspective of food is educating myself in nutrition. Watched a couple of documentaries regarding fast food and high carb diets, as well as videos by a couple of YouTube channels. It really helped me understand what junk food does to my body and what are the consequences, so I became a lot more mindful ever since.

Lastly, don't beat yourself up. You will probably have days where you want to give up. You will probably have days where you fall off the wagon and binge (this has happened to me and many others on their weight loss journey as well). But your future self will thank you for your efforts! It's perfectly okay to eat chocolate and things you generally like (I still like eating biscuits from time to time!) . Moderation is key to everything, so that also means don't get too obsessive with working out or dieting, you might harm yourself instead. I wish you all the very best, you can do it! <3
This is great advice
You sound like my nutritionist
(Well almost) 🙂🙂🙂
Original post by Fallgazer
Is there anything you like from eating chocolate and crisps, such as sweetness, texture, flavor? You can find healthier alternatives to those food. Say instead of milk chocolate for example, switch to dark chocolate. Instead of crisps, try something like popcorn (not the microwaved versions) or carrots.

But otherwise, the simplest advice I can offer is to start slow! Personally, I was raised to have a very bad diet and due to personal circumstances, I fell into a bunch of cycles of binging, starving, etc. All in all, horrible relationship with food until I decided to turn that around last May, and I've lost 13 kgs so far (I think that's like 2 stones according to Google). So start going for slightly healthier alternatives first (like the ones I mentioned above), then gradually keep moving onto food that will nourish you which you will eventually like.

Also try exercising! It may be difficult at first, so try something you like, such as a sport, or maybe go for walks outside. Or if you (like to) play video games, you could try playing games on the Wii or Kinect if you own them, or play Just Dance Now using your phone and a screen like your laptop (note that you can only play 2 songs every 24 hours ). Just make sure you do something you enjoy because you'll really feel good at the end and it'll turn into a routine.

For cooking, try finding recipes you've always wanted to try/eat. Imo it doesn't really matter much what it is (at first at least) because it's way better than eating outside or buying processed/packaged foods. Saves money too! As a suggestion try eating foods with protein or fiber (so like meat,eggs, tofu or fruits, green/leafy veggies) as it keeps you fuller for longer.

As for binging, as I mentioned I struggled with that too. It's difficult...but for me it was due to circumstances. So make sure you take care of your mental health if you're stressed or going through a rough time! (Try meditation perhaps?). If it's not due to any emotions, then maybe try tracking your calories with apps like MyFitnessPal so you could be more mindful. (Unless if you have suffered from an eating disorder then I would advise against this method as it involves calorie restriction)

Also one thing that really helped me change my perspective of food is educating myself in nutrition. Watched a couple of documentaries regarding fast food and high carb diets, as well as videos by a couple of YouTube channels. It really helped me understand what junk food does to my body and what are the consequences, so I became a lot more mindful ever since.

Lastly, don't beat yourself up. You will probably have days where you want to give up. You will probably have days where you fall off the wagon and binge (this has happened to me and many others on their weight loss journey as well). But your future self will thank you for your efforts! It's perfectly okay to eat chocolate and things you generally like (I still like eating biscuits from time to time!) . Moderation is key to everything, so that also means don't get too obsessive with working out or dieting, you might harm yourself instead. I wish you all the very best, you can do it! <3
Thank you!
Haha, hope that's a good thing! 😋
Original post by shumaira
This is great advice
You sound like my nutritionist
(Well almost) 🙂🙂🙂
It is XD I hope yoitsme has read it- she's hasn't messaged in a while
Original post by Fallgazer
Thank you!
Haha, hope that's a good thing! 😋

Quick Reply

Latest