The Student Room Group

Alternatives to BTEC

So my boyfriend did a BTEC instead of Alevels. However, he realised quite soon in to his course that that wasn’t what he wanted to do. He has problems with his mental health so has a lack of drive. At this point in time, it looks like he is going to fail the course but it’s not what he wants to do anyway. Are there any alternative to BTECs and alevels and apprenticeships? For now, just a short course he could do lasting a few months just so he has some sort of qualification would do! I just really don’t want him to have no qualifications behind him
Original post by kaitlinnelson555
So my boyfriend did a BTEC instead of Alevels. However, he realised quite soon in to his course that that wasn’t what he wanted to do. He has problems with his mental health so has a lack of drive. At this point in time, it looks like he is going to fail the course but it’s not what he wants to do anyway. Are there any alternative to BTECs and alevels and apprenticeships? For now, just a short course he could do lasting a few months just so he has some sort of qualification would do! I just really don’t want him to have no qualifications behind him

I think ne heeds to speak to national careers and look on the college site to see what they have available.

I would say if he has serious MH issues, then he should get those sorted.

In terms of qualifications take English and maths GCSE. If he doesnt have those or they are too much then level 1 English and Maths functional skills, but you really need level 2or preferably a 6 at GCSE.

The difficulty with courses at the moment is many of them wont start till September. You give me no indication of age. I would question the value of something that lasts only a few months, unless its something like food hygiene or first aid.

If he cant focus on BTEC then how do you know he can focus on other studies?

In any event look on the college website for more vocational courses, some based on customer service might help get a job, even if its not a brilliant one.

Vocational courses are more on the job like NVQ and City and Guilds. They are more study in the workplace rather than academic.
Once he has MH sorted and has done some research on what he wnats to do or be then come back and post, then we will tell you how to get there.
Original post by 999tigger
I think ne heeds to speak to national careers and look on the college site to see what they have available.

I would say if he has serious MH issues, then he should get those sorted.

In terms of qualifications take English and maths GCSE. If he doesnt have those or they are too much then level 1 English and Maths functional skills, but you really need level 2or preferably a 6 at GCSE.

The difficulty with courses at the moment is many of them wont start till September. You give me no indication of age. I would question the value of something that lasts only a few months, unless its something like food hygiene or first aid.

If he cant focus on BTEC then how do you know he can focus on other studies?

In any event look on the college website for more vocational courses, some based on customer service might help get a job, even if its not a brilliant one.

Vocational courses are more on the job like NVQ and City and Guilds. They are more study in the workplace rather than academic.
Once he has MH sorted and has done some research on what he wnats to do or be then come back and post, then we will tell you how to get there.

He’s coming up 18. The problem is there’s so little support for what he has (Dysthymia and he’s just been left to it). I think if he found a course he was interested in he would do it but he’s struggling to find something that he’s interested in due to his Dysthymia. For the most part he has got up and just gone to college and got on with it but he’s missing too many modules to get the qualification because of the days where he hasn’t been able to be there
Original post by kaitlinnelson555
He’s coming up 18. The problem is there’s so little support for what he has (Dysthymia and he’s just been left to it). I think if he found a course he was interested in he would do it but he’s struggling to find something that he’s interested in due to his Dysthymia. For the most part he has got up and just gone to college and got on with it but he’s missing too many modules to get the qualification because of the days where he hasn’t been able to be there

He should be getting help from the disability team at college.
Education is free till he is 19 , so he could enrol again in September.

He may be able to carry credits over.

He could talk to.
https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

He could also consider what Princes Trust have to offer and that might help with his mh as well.
https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/help-for-young-people/programmes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending