The Student Room Group

Insurance

Hi I’m currently 16 I’m turning 17 soon and I will starting my driving lessons soon. I’m hoping to be passed quickly as I already have a years road experience on a moped plus I’ve been driving on private property for the past year because of this I am looking to buy a car however I don’t want to get something that everyone gets like a Ford Fiesta or Vauxhall Corsa I would like something cool and different something that turns heads when it drives by. I’ve got a budget of 2K for the car and I’m buying it with my own money because of this my parents have agreed to insure it for me, I’ve already looked at something like a Land Rover I can afford the insurance just I can’t afford the car. I’ve also looked at something like an old school jag exact opposite problem though they are cheap to buy but the insurance is so expensive something like 7k. Its kinda unfair on new drivers I suppose because there’s a lot of us that are safe when we drive you’ve just got the few idiots that drive like absolute idiots and crash within their first year of driving.My parents are willing to pay the same amount it cost to get my brother on the road which is 2.7k. 1.2k for the car and 1.5k for his insurance. I cannot stress how much I DO NOT want a black box fitted, I find it quite annoying and creepy that some company knows exactly how fast you are going, where you are and how many miles you are doing whenever you are driving, we all speed sometimes wether it’s on purpose or by accident and I would prefer it if my insurance didn’t know about it. I’ve looked into fronting (where you declare someone else as the main driver, but you are the one who drives it mostly) I reckon I could get away with putting my dad as the main driver as I have a motorbike ready for when I’m 17 and I’m mostly gonna be using that anyway. I’m only gonna really use the car if it’s winter, if I need to be somewhere that requires to be uniform (work or cadets) or if I am carrying passengers. I’d be grateful for your suggestions.

Thx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dentyboi
Hi I’m currently 16 I’m turning 17 soon and I will starting my driving lessons soon. I’m hoping to be passed quickly as I already have a years road experience on a moped plus I’ve been driving on private property for the past year because of this I am looking to buy a car however I don’t want to get something that everyone gets like a Ford Fiesta or Vauxhall Corsa I would like something cool and different something that turns heads when it drives by. I’ve got a budget of 2K for the car and I’m buying it with my own money because of this my parents have agreed to insure it for me, I’ve already looked at something like a Land Rover I can afford the insurance just I can’t afford the car. I’ve also looked at something like an old school jag exact opposite problem though they are cheap to buy but the insurance is so expensive something like 7k. Its kinda unfair on new drivers I suppose because there’s a lot of us that are safe when we drive you’ve just got the few idiots that drive like absolute idiots and crash within their first year of driving.My parents are willing to pay the same amount it cost to get my brother on the road which is 2.7k. 1.2k for the car and 1.5k for his insurance. I cannot stress how much I DO NOT want a black box fitted, I find it quite annoying and creepy that some company knows exactly how fast you are going, where you are and how many miles you are doing whenever you are driving, we all speed sometimes wether it’s on purpose or by accident and I would prefer it if my insurance didn’t know about it. I’ve looked into fronting (where you declare someone else as the main driver, but you are the one who drives it mostly) I reckon I could get away with putting my dad as the main driver as I have a motorbike ready for when I’m 17 and I’m mostly gonna be using that anyway. I’m only gonna really use the car if it’s winter, if I need to be somewhere that requires to be uniform (work or cadets) or if I am carrying passengers. I’d be grateful for your suggestions.

Thx

Don't get involved with fronting. It's a form of insurance fraud, and is classed as a criminal offence. Not only could you land up with a criminal record, but it invalidates your insurance.

You're not likely to 'Buy something that turns heads as you drive by' with a 2K budget. I know you're not wanting to go for something that young drivers often go for, but if you physically can't afford to do so but need to be able to drive your own car, you'll most likely need to get a 1.0 Litre small hatchback. It's a pain. A few years down the line, you'll find that your cars will get nicer as you get older. But you have to live within your means, and the price of insurance and maintenance costs largely dictates what that means for you.

I get your frustration of high insurance as a young driver, we've all been there once, but you have to pay it or wait. It's irresponsible to suggest that insurance fraud is the best solution.

As for BlackBox policies, it works to help lower insurance but I'm not a great fan of them. I've seen stories of them being fairly wildly inaccurate.

Your best bet is to get a cheap car within your budget, with a 1litre engine. It may not be what you want, but I can promise you that the costs of maintaining an old Land Rover or Jaguar will be appreciably more than that of a 1.0 Fiesta, VW Fox, Polo etc.

For the record, when I first passed my test I found it was cheaper to insure one of my parents as an 'additional driver' than to just insure me alone. Try adding them to the policy (not as main driver, as already mentioned). Consider a dashcam, some insurers will lower your policy if you have a dashcam.

It's better to have a car than nothing at all. Find what you can afford (and remember to factor in Road Tax, Fuel Consumption and Servicing Costs as part of that). Then live to those means. You'll upgrade soon enough.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2

Thx

Only an idiot would pay for an insurance policy that's voided.
Lol I like how you talk about other people being idiots and dangerous but say everyone speeds sometimes...

Just get a normal car for a year or two and then when you have some no claims built up you can get whatever you want and afford to insure it.

And don't mess with fronting. Yes you may not get caught but if you do it's a huge problem.
Reply 4
Looked and they aren’t really any cheap 1.0L cars out there that are reliable, it’s alright getting a cheap car but I need to look for something that’s a good runner, getting a reliable 1L car is actually quite expensive you won’t find yourself paying loads for insurance you’ll just find yourself paying loads for the car. also fronting was the only way my brother could even get insured and on a 1.25 Ford Fiesta no less, but that was only because he didn’t want a black box because he works at a pub late at late and some black boxes do not allow you to drive within certain hours also adding my parents to my policy doesn’t really make much difference. I have found it’s a good idea to get a car that’s a bit older ones without an ecu so you won’t have to install a black box it seems insurance companies are massive fans of them because I’ve seen some quotes that wanted 2k for black box insurance. If I am gonna be paying over 2k for black box insurance on a standard car then I might aswell pay a bit more insurance and actually get something a bit different.
Original post by Revolver72
Don't get involved with fronting. It's a form of insurance fraud, and is classed as a criminal offence. Not only could you land up with a criminal record, but it invalidates your insurance.

You're not likely to 'Buy something that turns heads as you drive by' with a 2K budget. I know you're not wanting to go for something that young drivers often go for, but if you physically can't afford to do so but need to be able to drive your own car, you'll most likely need to get a 1.0 Litre small hatchback. It's a pain. A few years down the line, you'll find that your cars will get nicer as you get older. But you have to live within your means, and the price of insurance and maintenance costs largely dictates what that means for you.

I get your frustration of high insurance as a young driver, we've all been there once, but you have to pay it or wait. It's irresponsible to suggest that insurance fraud is the best solution.

As for BlackBox policies, it works to help lower insurance but I'm not a great fan of them. I've seen stories of them being fairly wildly inaccurate.

Your best bet is to get a cheap car within your budget, with a 1litre engine. It may not be what you want, but I can promise you that the costs of maintaining an old Land Rover or Jaguar will be appreciably more than that of a 1.0 Fiesta, VW Fox, Polo etc.

For the record, when I first passed my test I found it was cheaper to insure one of my parents as an 'additional driver' than to just insure me alone. Try adding them to the policy (not as main driver, as already mentioned). Consider a dashcam, some insurers will lower your policy if you have a dashcam.

It's better to have a car than nothing at all. Find what you can afford (and remember to factor in Road Tax, Fuel Consumption and Servicing Costs as part of that). Then live to those means. You'll upgrade soon enough.
Reply 5
Define normal car ? Because it doesn’t really matter I’ve looked at insurance for a normal car it doesn’t really make it much cheaper, whatever car you have it will be expensive. It works really weirdly, insurance for a bigger car is obviously expensive because it more likely to do damage it’s quicker has a bigger engine and such, however a normal car like a Ford Fiesta has high insurance because statistics of young drivers having accidents in them you can’t win.
Original post by doodle_333
Lol I like how you talk about other people being idiots and dangerous but say everyone speeds sometimes...

Just get a normal car for a year or two and then when you have some no claims built up you can get whatever you want and afford to insure it.

And don't mess with fronting. Yes you may not get caught but if you do it's a huge problem.
Reply 6
Also when I said about idiots who crash their car I was referring to the type of people who try and drive like f1 drivers everytime there out. I said that everyone speeds sometimes saying like some occasions where you may not have been paying attention and did like 35 in a 30 not majorly speeding.
Define normal car ? Because it doesn’t really matter I’ve looked at insurance for a normal car it doesn’t really make it much cheaper, whatever car you have it will be expensive. It works really weirdly, insurance for a bigger car is obviously expensive because it more likely to do damage it’s quicker has a bigger engine and such, however a normal car like a Ford Fiesta has high insurance because statistics of young drivers having accidents in them you can’t win.
Reply 7
Not really voided mate, still insured on the car which is what I wanted, it’s not totally illegal but it’s still a grey area, as the insurance company have no idea who’s driving at certain times and when, if you get pulled or are in an accident you’ve still got the proof that you are insured on the vehicle. It’s likely that my dad will be driving the car aswell so it’s not totally void the main driver is still driving the vehicle. It’s very likely that I would be able to get away with it my brother was insured as an additional driver on his first car, and my mum the main driver he drove it everyday and she only drove the car about once a month if you are an additional driver and state you have access to another vehicle it seems more legitimate and technically I do have access to another vehicle my motorbike which I will be using more than the car.

Original post by IWMTom
Only an idiot would pay for an insurance policy that's voided.

Thx

As far as getting something cool and different it really depends on your area and your dads driving history. I know someone who has insured a bmw 520i at 19 for £1k whereas I can’t even get a quote for less than £5k so it really depends on you.
You say that it’s probably going to be sat for most of the time then you definitely don’t want a jag or something that’ll need work every time you start it up after x amount of weeks. Do your research on the kinds of cars you can insure and pick one that you like.
Take a look at the Mitsubishi colt ralliart, clio 182, Impreza 1.5 and the 207 gti.

Regarding fronting you’ll probably be ok. The only people that get caught are the ones driving the car all the time and when they claim they trip up and let loose that they drive the car all the time. If you really aren’t driving it all the time then you’ll be fine putting your dad as the main driver.

But regarding th car if your not going to be driving it much there’s really no point in buying something like a Land Rover when you aren’t going to be utilising it fully. And if you don’t want a black box look for an older car (pre 2000) as they don’t have ecu s so no black box. Maybe a mk2 or mk1 golf would be cool
Not really voided mate, still insured on the car which is what I wanted, it’s not totally illegal but it’s still a grey area, as the insurance company have no idea who’s driving at certain times and when, if you get pulled or are in an accident you’ve still got the proof that you are insured on the vehicle. It’s likely that my dad will be driving the car aswell so it’s not totally void the main driver is still driving the vehicle. It’s very likely that I would be able to get away with it my brother was insured as an additional driver on his first car, and my mum the main driver he drove it everyday and she only drove the car about once a month if you are an additional driver and state you have access to another vehicle it seems more legitimate and technically I do have access to another vehicle my motorbike which I will be using more than the car.

Wrong. It's clear - you would be making a false declaration, which, if found out, will void your insurance and land you in a whole lot of trouble. Don't do it.

An old Jag is a really bad idea for winter.

Do your time with an under-powered car - it will make you a better driver,vand less likely to kill yourself when you get more power.
(edited 4 years ago)

I just got a fiesta 1.4 for my 1st car and am paying 1k for insurance (no black box). That was already a huge difference to something like an Astra so I can't imagine you don't make a saving getting a small car... you can go lcheaper than a 1.4 fiesta too as there are certainly cheaper things about.
Reply 11
Thx mate I have actually looked at a 1.5 impreza they are much cheaper insurance then an sti, trouble is there doesn’t seem to be many 1.5 imprezas for sale around my area so it’s less of a money problem more of a hassle trying to find one.
Original post by classic3296
As far as getting something cool and different it really depends on your area and your dads driving history. I know someone who has insured a bmw 520i at 19 for £1k whereas I can’t even get a quote for less than £5k so it really depends on you.
You say that it’s probably going to be sat for most of the time then you definitely don’t want a jag or something that’ll need work every time you start it up after x amount of weeks. Do your research on the kinds of cars you can insure and pick one that you like.
Take a look at the Mitsubishi colt ralliart, clio 182, Impreza 1.5 and the 207 gti.

Regarding fronting you’ll probably be ok. The only people that get caught are the ones driving the car all the time and when they claim they trip up and let loose that they drive the car all the time. If you really aren’t driving it all the time then you’ll be fine putting your dad as the main driver.

But regarding th car if your not going to be driving it much there’s really no point in buying something like a Land Rover when you aren’t going to be utilising it fully. And if you don’t want a black box look for an older car (pre 2000) as they don’t have ecu s so no black box. Maybe a mk2 or mk1 golf would be cool
Reply 12
Well it won’t be a false declaration my dad already has a vehicle but I’m sure he would be happy driving this car most of the time making the insurance in fact not voided.
Original post by RogerOxon
Wrong. It's clear - you would be making a false declaration, which, if found out, will void your insurance and land you in a whole lot of trouble. Don't do it.

An old Jag is a really bad idea for winter.

Do your time with an under-powered car - it will make you a better driver,vand less likely to kill yourself when you get more power.
Reply 13
Well it won’t be a false declaration my dad already has a vehicle but I’m sure he would be happy driving this car most of the time making the insurance in fact not voided.

Prove it.
Reply 14
Mate what you on about prove it ? I’ve just come on here to ask about advice on what car I should get I don’t remember saying I’ve come on here to engage in an argument about insurance. At the end of the day the decision I make doesn’t effect you, you’re not the insurance company, the policy holder or a named driver on my insurance so why should you care ? I believe there is something out there suitable for what I need I’m just asking for suggestions. Also it’s quite frustrating and quite annoying that even for a normal car, insurance companies want 2k+ for black box insurance for the amount of money being spent I believe that I should have a bit more freedom when driving the car that I own. Also if I had an accident or such that wasn’t my fault do you think the insurance company is really going to pay out ? Highly unlikely so I think it’s only fair that for the amount I’m paying I don’t say the full truth.
Reply 15
Mate what you on about prove it ? I’ve just come on here to ask about advice on what car I should get I don’t remember saying I’ve come on here to engage in an argument about insurance. At the end of the day the decision I make doesn’t effect you, you’re not the insurance company, the policy holder or a named driver on my insurance so why should you care ? I believe there is something out there suitable for what I need I’m just asking for suggestions. Also it’s quite frustrating and quite annoying that even for a normal car, insurance companies want 2k+ for black box insurance for the amount of money being spent I believe that I should have a bit more freedom when driving the car that I own. Also if I had an accident or such that wasn’t my fault do you think the insurance company is really going to pay out ? Highly unlikely so I think it’s only fair that for the amount I’m paying I don’t say the full truth.

Only insurance fraud does affect me, and it affects you, and it affects everyone on the road.

Uninsured drivers cause premiums to rise year on year as money is plowed into the MIB compensation scheme and damages that can't be reclaimed.
I believe there is something out there suitable for what I need I’m just asking for suggestions. Also it’s quite frustrating and quite annoying that even for a normal car, insurance companies want 2k+ for black box insurance for the amount of money being spent I believe that I should have a bit more freedom when driving the car that I own. Also if I had an accident or such that wasn’t my fault do you think the insurance company is really going to pay out ? Highly unlikely so I think it’s only fair that for the amount I’m paying I don’t say the full truth.

What you believe should be the case does not change reality. You're coming across as very self-entitled.

Declaring that a parent is the main driver, when they aren't, is a false declaration and voids your insurance, whether you like it or not. Anyone you hit or injure could be left out of pocket, or worse. It is irresponsible, illegal and plain nasty. Please don't do it.
Reply 17
If you put your dad as you're driver and you're the main driver, that's illegal.
If you're not the main driver then you won't gain any NCB.

You'll probably need a *****y 1L banger as your first car, it's a fact of life and you should probably accept it unless you wanna fork out £x0000
Reply 18
one bit of advice, don't buy a car with a big engine, biggest mistake i ever made.
was 6k for my insurance - not good.
Thx mate I have actually looked at a 1.5 impreza they are much cheaper insurance then an sti, trouble is there doesn’t seem to be many 1.5 imprezas for sale around my area so it’s less of a money problem more of a hassle trying to find one.

Look for an RX or RC model. The base R isn’t very good but it depends on where you look for them. There aren’t many on autotrader but there’s always a few on eBay and some on Facebook. Just make sure you aren’t overpaying for one as people think, because there aren’t many on the road, they are worth more than they should.

I’m confident you can find a decent one for under 2k but you just gotta wait

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending