The Student Room Group

AS Level Maths Help please!!!

I am self teaching maths as level so does anyone have a website or any site online talking about large data set we need to know!!!???
Reply 1
Original post by ErinaNakiri78
I am self teaching maths as level so does anyone have a website or any site online talking about large data set we need to know!!!???

Which exam board?
Original post by Notnek
Which exam board?

AQA :smile:
Reply 3
AQA :smile:

I don't really have anything for AQA :frown:

As general advice, make sure you attempt every question in your textbook (assuming you have a new spec AQA textbook) that relates to the LDS. Also try practicing some of the statistical methods you've learnt alongside the LDS. You should aim to become very familiar with the structure/limitations/types of data/units etc. in the LDS because the exam will assume that you are.

You also should try every LDS question in all the past/mock/practice papers although you may not be able to get them all if you're self studying. Do you have a school that you can contact which may give you some of these resources? Also there is some stuff here but again you need a teacher to give them to you since they're locked.
Original post by Notnek

As general advice, make sure you attempt every question in your textbook (assuming you have a new spec AQA textbook) that relates to the LDS. Also try practicing some of the statistical methods you've learnt alongside the LDS. You should aim to become very familiar with the structure/limitations/types of data/units etc. in the LDS because the exam will assume that you are.

You also should try every LDS question in all the past/mock/practice papers although you may not be able to get them all if you're self studying. Do you have a school that you can contact which may give you some of these resources? Also there is some stuff here but again you need a teacher to give them to you since they're locked.

Thank you so much this was amazing help!!! Shall I ask my school for some more information on large data sets?
Reply 5
Thank you so much this was amazing help!!! Shall I ask my school for some more information on large data sets?

Yes that's a very good idea. Also ask if they can provide you with all the exam paper resources for AQA.
Original post by Notnek

And also, do you know about how many marks in the papers the data sets are worth? 😬
My brother did maths AS Level last year and his teacher forgot to teach his whole class on large data sets but he still ended up with an A... but I have a feeling that they will be worth more this year... :frown:
Original post by Notnek
Yes that's a very good idea. Also ask if they can provide you with all the exam paper resources for AQA.

Oh okay thanks :smile:
Reply 8
And also, do you know about how many marks in the papers the data sets are worth? 😬
My brother did maths AS Level last year and his teacher forgot to teach his whole class on large data sets but he still ended up with an A... but I have a feeling that they will be worth more this year... :frown:

It depends on the exam paper - there could be a whole question where knowledge of the LDS is required. This was the case for last year's Edexcel exam. Don't assume that it's low marks so you can forget about it - it could end up costing you quite a few marks.
Original post by Notnek
It depends on the exam paper - there could be a whole question where knowledge of the LDS is required. This was the case for last year's Edexcel exam. Don't assume that it's low marks so you can forget about it - it could end up costing you quite a few marks.

Oh okay I will make sure to ask school tomorrow about it then! Thank you so much, I haven’t received good and quick help like this on tsr in a while haha!! 🤣
Reply 10
Oh okay I will make sure to ask school tomorrow about it then! Thank you so much, I haven’t received good and quick help like this on tsr in a while haha!! 🤣

That must mean that you don't post enough in the maths forum :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest