The Student Room Group
m8 what is this
Physics

Original post by yoboydylan
m8 what is this
Calipers have an absolute uncertainty of ±0.1mm\pm 0.1 \text{mm} and micrometers have an absolute uncertainty of ±0.01mm\pm 0.01 \text{mm}.

Original post by yoboydylan
m8 what is this

not helpful
0.001 mm I think
I’m gonna post this on the a level forum
How do I delete this post
Original post by Ryan0887
0.001 mm I think

I think it depends on the micrometer - I've seen both 0.01mm and 0.001mm accepted. (so either is fine)
Original post by Imdad Kadir
How do I delete this post

This is the right place :smile: Subject specific questions belong in the subject subforums - it's just that a lot of people post on the A-level forum and sometimes it doesn't end up getting moved.
Original post by _gcx
This is the right place :smile: Subject specific questions belong in the subject subforums - it's just that a lot of people post on the A-level forum and sometimes it doesn't end up getting moved.

Oh okay thank you for your help
Reply 10
Original post by _gcx
Calipers have an absolute uncertainty of ±0.1mm\pm 0.1 \text{mm} and micrometers have an absolute uncertainty of ±0.01mm\pm 0.01 \text{mm}.

not helpful

Wait - so calipers and micrometres measure down to 0.1mm and 0.01mm respectively - wouldn't that mean that the most that any reading could be off by is half that?
What’s the absolute uncertainty of a micrometer and a vernier calliper

micrometer has resolution of 0.01mm and Vernier caliper has resolution of 0.1mm. for single measurements you use uncertainty of half resolution and if you have many readings then use uncertainty as half of range
Original post by Sinnoh
Wait - so calipers and micrometres measure down to 0.1mm and 0.01mm respectively - wouldn't that mean that the most that any reading could be off by is half that?

Original post by brainmaster
micrometer has resolution of 0.01mm and Vernier caliper has resolution of 0.1mm. for single measurements you use uncertainty of half resolution and if you have many readings then use uncertainty as half of range

Scienceshorts said that the uncertainty would be its resolution as you take two measurements when using something like a ruler and micrometer (one at beginning and one end). I’m not sure how true this is or what aqa says.
(edited 4 years ago)
Scienceshorts said that the uncertainty would be its resolution as you take two measurements when using something like a ruler and micrometer (one at beginning and one end). I’m not sure how true this is or what aqa says.

maybe because I'm doing Edexcel and we use half of resolution but I've seen cases where they use resolution as the uncertainty so it could be correct
Original post by brainmaster
maybe because I'm doing Edexcel and we use half of resolution but I've seen cases where they use resolution as the uncertainty so it could be correct

It depends on the actual measurement. Its resolution if you have a potential error at both ends, its half the uncertainty if you're only measuring at one end
ITS only 0.01mm
Reply 16
what are the absolute uncertainties of the vernier calipers ?
Reply 17
what are the absolute uncertainties of the vernier calipers
Reply 18
what are the absolute uncertainties of the vernier calipers?
UoM depends on your resolution and sometimes on these vernier scales you could break up the resolution in smaller divisions. 0.01 for example we say the smallest we can see with the eye on vernier scale is 2.5micrometer. And when calculating the uncertainty it calculates to minimum of 2microns. Best case with no errors. thus stdev is zero. Well maintained temp. etc.

Latest