The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

failing one module in final year

Ok,

So i've gotton my results back and i've failed on of my optional modules. :frown: I'm at an utter loss as of what to do and i need to know if anyone else has been in this situation? I can't find any information specific to procedures for failing modules in the final year on the uni website and i haven't been sent any information either. Will i have to retake the WHOLE year? :frown:

Seriously feeling in a state over this (though luckily had a counselling appointment booked for today anyway), any advice welcome.

edit: i've just remembered the module in question was a 2nd year module that i was doing cos i failed one of my modules last year-is likely to have any bearing on the outcome?
Reply 1
I can't help for your uni but at mine you just have to resit the module to a pass grade or get an uncondoned fail (4 or more and you get kicked out). Email your department they should be able to advise you.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks

I'm at Sheff Hallam

:s

I don't get to resit it cos i apparently didn't hand in one essay
xXMessedUpXx
Ok,

So i've gotton my results back and i've failed on of my optional modules. :frown: I'm at an utter loss as of what to do and i need to know if anyone else has been in this situation? I can't find any information specific to procedures for failing modules in the final year on the uni website and i haven't been sent any information either. Will i have to retake the WHOLE year? :frown:

Seriously feeling in a state over this (though luckily had a counselling appointment booked for today anyway), any advice welcome.

edit: i've just remembered the module in question was a 2nd year module that i was doing cos i failed one of my modules last year-is likely to have any bearing on the outcome?

Just found out today that I'm in exactly the same position and I'm so stressed and upset about it! Have you contacted your department?
Reply 4
Hiya guys, Im at hallam and in totally the same situation had a headache since wednesday worrying myself silly.

Apparently I havent failed my final year, but havent passed 2 modules, AND have to resubmit my dissertation, I have never ever ever had to resit.

Now the problem is if i resit I am immeadiatly capped at 40% for both modules and capped the same for my dissertation, therefore if i choose this option i will be awarded a third as the capped modules are pulling my grade down.

Luckily ive had a meeting today and the best route for me is to resubmit the dissertation alone and forget the other 2 modules (which were my electives not core) so i will incure fails for these 2.

I can return as a part-time student in september to study just 2 electives which will be in the end added to my marks from this years core modules and hopefully graduate with a 2.2 or 2.1 next summer (2009).

Im unbelievable angry with my self as its my lack of concentration and inability to prioritise that has got me in this state!

The best advice i can offer is have a meeting with your tutor- totally hound them until they give in, you need to know your options, im so much happier now i know mine,
good luck! xx
sarahe
Hiya guys, Im at hallam and in totally the same situation had a headache since wednesday worrying myself silly.

Apparently I havent failed my final year, but havent passed 2 modules, AND have to resubmit my dissertation, I have never ever ever had to resit.

Now the problem is if i resit I am immeadiatly capped at 40% for both modules and capped the same for my dissertation, therefore if i choose this option i will be awarded a third as the capped modules are pulling my grade down.

Luckily ive had a meeting today and the best route for me is to resubmit the dissertation alone and forget the other 2 modules (which were my electives not core) so i will incure fails for these 2.

I can return as a part-time student in september to study just 2 electives which will be in the end added to my marks from this years core modules and hopefully graduate with a 2.2 or 2.1 next summer (2009).

Im unbelievable angry with my self as its my lack of concentration and inability to prioritise that has got me in this state!

The best advice i can offer is have a meeting with your tutor- totally hound them until they give in, you need to know your options, im so much happier now i know mine,
good luck! xx

Thanks, thats made me feel a bit better. I still haven't spoken to anyone about it because I'm nervous about what they will say. The thing is the module I've failed is a compulsory module from the first year so although it doesn't effect the overall grade of my degree, I need the credits to get my Honours and not just an "ordinary" degree. I'm so annoyed because I would have got a 2:1 overall.:frown: I've got to sort this out!
Another_Girl
Thanks, thats made me feel a bit better. I still haven't spoken to anyone about it because I'm nervous about what they will say. The thing is the module I've failed is a compulsory module from the first year so although it doesn't effect the overall grade of my degree, I need the credits to get my Honours and not just an "ordinary" degree. I'm so annoyed because I would have got a 2:1 overall.:frown: I've got to sort this out!

If you pass everything at second year you'll get your Honours back
Goldenratio
If you pass everything at second year you'll get your Honours back

I've finished my three years of uni. This was a first year module that I re-took in the third year and failed again. So I have a 20 credit deficiency and don't have my Honours:frown:
Sorry to hear everyone has had a bad time with modules and etc, hope you all get it sorted.

Best of luck
Another_Girl
I've finished my three years of uni. This was a first year module that I re-took in the third year and failed again. So I have a 20 credit deficiency and don't have my Honours:frown:

Hang on though. you're still able to graduate at honours with 340 credits though, especially if the 20 credit deficit is from first year.
sarahe

good luck! xx

I think i'm now in the same situation as you though i've been told i won't find out till september what my final options are. :s-smilie: Jut handed in some referal coursework but i know deep down i've failed it.
Hi

I am really sorry to hear about your situation, I myself is going through the same situation as i failed a module in my second year and i was hoping if i could retake the whole module in my final year.

thanks
Reply 12
What happened in the end
Reply 13
Original post by Ali-esr
What happened in the end

they cried
Reply 14
l have got 340credit can l still graduate. I submitted my second year assessment late and it was a resit. passed my 1 andthird
Hi guys, so I've just submitted my last module which is 15 credits. I know deep down that I am probably not going to pass and now I am super scared I won't be allowed to graduate. Does anyone know if 15 credits is too many or not??
Hi @DayDreamer1997

Which course are you studying? And what is the name of the module you've just submitted?

I understand it must be a nerve-racking time for you but try not to worry about it, we will look into it for you.

Thanks
Bridget
Original post by DayDreamer1997
Hi guys, so I've just submitted my last module which is 15 credits. I know deep down that I am probably not going to pass and now I am super scared I won't be allowed to graduate. Does anyone know if 15 credits is too many or not??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending