The Student Room Group

HELP! I want a 9 but got 8 in my art GCSE coursework

Hey everyone,
I got back my art coursework results and was 1 mark into an 8 but I'm not happy :frown: An 8 is so AMAZING and I am reallyyyy happy, but disappointed? I spent all my time and effort into art, and my teacher told me I could get a 9, but got my results back and I scraped an 8. I know an 8 is amazing and genuinely am pleased, but I work really hard. It needs a lot of backstory:
We did 4 books in 3 years and they marked them like this:
- Art history (year 9), natural forms (year 10), human figure (end year 10/11)- 74/96
- Elements (year 11)- 78/96
My school is all girls selective school, meaning girls are crazy talented in art. (4 girls out of our class got a 9) But i think i should have got one. It sounds vain but wait…
My art history was really done in year 10, since I did nothing year 9 and caught up like 80 percent in year 10, so the quality was good and it was different from everyone elses. Im gonna be annoying and dare say it was best in class, since nobody cared out their art history.
Natural forms was strong, but everyone tried hard but it was one of the best ones since I did a lot too.
My human figure was not as good… I think I did 4 researches because I mixed it up but wanted all 4 in (my own fault), but did leonardo da vinci page which I hate looking at (didn’t finish the observational) ,but the rest is decent. I didn’t do much development for my final piece, only a a3 biro and a4 drawing and a conclusion. My final piece was decent and fitted well with my book. The presentation wasn’t strong, but the drawings were good.
For the elements book (main exam book), I was really unhappy as presentation was shite and ended up hating my final piece. So 78 is SICK.
But that’s the thing- I thought I would then do amazing in my other coursework because if my **** one did well, why wouldn’t my ah and nf? I thought I would get a 9 off of just them. But, the 96 marks for coursework were more weighted on the human figure, but I thought I would get a high 8 minimum.
A girl who cried 4 times got 10 more marks than me. She would cry every time miss gave her results back and she didn’t get 9. Her human figure book was stronger since she did 2 a1 final pieces. But my ah and nf were a lot stronger, and I feel like it was very biased. Our talent is Samish, I think I am stronger in pencil and biro but she is sick in acrylic, which is what gets the high marks. Her presentation was better in human figure, but we had same skills in drawing.
So do you think I am being reasonable in me being mad? Because I don’t know what to do as we are getting moderated on the 3rd of may (so straight after we get back.) Should I finish my da vinci observational just in case if it does get moderated? But it will take me 3-4 hours and I have revision to do. I feel it is such a waste of time if there’s no guarantee I will get a 9 from the examiner or if they will even look at it.
Ps. I am not bigging myself up lol. Girls were shocked I didn’t get a 9 and so was I. Kind of annoying for a teacher to get your hopes up and then let you down.
8 is amazing, but its annoying to hear you should or could have got a 9. It is my strongest subject and I wanna do it for a levels. I would post pics but don’t want to be found out from any friends or teachers cos I sound big-headed.
Lol i spent so long typing this out please reply advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did you do AQA? If so, what were the grade boundaries for 7-9?
Reply 2
Unfortunately this is the problem with Art it is subjective and it is marked by the teachers who taught you.My daughter had a similar thing happen at A-level.In our opinion she should have got an A in Art and a C/D in photography.Her Art teacher could not stand her and she ended up with a B.Her photography teacher loved her and she ended up with a B.Neither grade was correct!
I would now concentrate on your revision.They will not allow any new work to be submitted now.
I get why you are mad ,she spent the whole of results day ranting about the injustice of it.But you have to just put it down to the non objectivity of the markers.Do you want to carry on with Art?If so I can reassure you that Art colleges will judge you on your recent work and they did not even care about the A level grades just her foundation work.So calm down and concentrate on your other subjects.Best of luck!
Original post by pupplepopp
Hey everyone,
I got back my art coursework results and was 1 mark into an 8 but I'm not happy :frown: An 8 is so AMAZING and I am reallyyyy happy, but disappointed? I spent all my time and effort into art, and my teacher told me I could get a 9, but got my results back and I scraped an 8. I know an 8 is amazing and genuinely am pleased, but I work really hard. It needs a lot of backstory:
- Art history (year 9), natural forms (year 10), human figure (end year 10/11)- 74/96
My school is all girls selective school, meaning girls are crazy talented in art. (4 girls out of our class got a 9) But i think i should have got one. It sounds vain but wait…
My art history was really done in year 10, since I did nothing year 9 and caught up like 80 percent in year 10, so the quality was good and it was different from everyone elses. Im gonna be annoying and dare say it was best in class, since nobody cared out their art history.
Natural forms was strong, but everyone tried hard but it was one of the best ones since I did a lot too.
My human figure was not as good… I think I did 4 researches because I mixed it up but wanted all 4 in (my own fault), but did leonardo da vinci page which I hate looking at (didn’t finish the observational) ,but the rest is decent. I didn’t do much development for my final piece, only a a3 biro and a4 drawing and a conclusion. My final piece was decent and fitted well with my book. The presentation wasn’t strong, but the drawings were good.
For the elements book (main exam book), I was really unhappy as presentation was shite and ended up hating my final piece. So 78 is SICK.
But that’s the thing- I thought I would then do amazing in my other coursework because if my **** one did well, why wouldn’t my ah and nf? I thought I would get a 9 off of just them. But, the 96 marks for coursework were more weighted on the human figure, but I thought I would get a high 8 minimum.
A girl who cried 4 times got 10 more marks than me. She would cry every time miss gave her results back and she didn’t get 9. Her human figure book was stronger since she did 2 a1 final pieces. But my ah and nf were a lot stronger, and I feel like it was very biased. Our talent is Samish, I think I am stronger in pencil and biro but she is sick in acrylic, which is what gets the high marks. Her presentation was better in human figure, but we had same skills in drawing.
So do you think I am being reasonable in me being mad? Because I don’t know what to do as we are getting moderated on the 3rd of may (so straight after we get back.) Should I finish my da vinci observational just in case if it does get moderated? But it will take me 3-4 hours and I have revision to do. I feel it is such a waste of time if there’s no guarantee I will get a 9 from the examiner or if they will even look at it.
Ps. I am not bigging myself up lol. Girls were shocked I didn’t get a 9 and so was I. Kind of annoying for a teacher to get your hopes up and then let you down.
8 is amazing, but its annoying to hear you should or could have got a 9. It is my strongest subject and I wanna do it for a levels. I would post pics but don’t want to be found out from any friends or teachers cos I sound big-headed.
Reply 3
I am in the exact same boat as you, well, with minor differences; art textiles. and I really believed I would get a 7, even my friends thought I should of gotten a 7. So, I can sympathise with the work you put in, trust me I used to stay until the school closed to finish my coursework. And I only got 105 out of 184 ! I was really distraught / disappointed. But I've emailed our exam officer to get an appeal, I don't know if that is the correct thing to do, but if you believe you deserve a better grade, then just ask someone with exam connections for help and advice. If you want a second opinion.

But, also put it into consideration, like do you want to do it for a-levels?... because if not the appeal process might not be worth it ... But trust me you are not alone, and you are definitely entitled to your opinions and feelings about this.
Reply 4
last year they were 74/96- I was one mark into a level 8. If they go up, I will get a 7, which is amazing but I worked so hard. Hope boundaries are low
Original post by swizzyb
Did you do AQA? If so, what were the grade boundaries for 7-9?
To quote some Macbeth that I'll never need to use again "what's done is done". There's no point worrying about it now, maybe your result will be a 7, probably an 8, maybe a 9. I know that doesn't make it any better, but there's nothing you can do now. Focus on the other exams.
Sorry that I sound harsh, but it's an important message.
Reply 6
I know how she feels!! girls in the other class were favouritised as the head of art taught them (2 art teachers all together). I don't want to do art at uni but I am doing it at a level. Just wanted a good grade, especially since she told me that I could. I'll try to forget!
Original post by Scotney
Unfortunately this is the problem with Art it is subjective and it is marked by the teachers who taught you.My daughter had a similar thing happen at A-level.In our opinion she should have got an A in Art and a C/D in photography.Her Art teacher could not stand her and she ended up with a B.Her photography teacher loved her and she ended up with a B.Neither grade was correct!
I would now concentrate on your revision.They will not allow any new work to be submitted now.
I get why you are mad ,she spent the whole of results day ranting about the injustice of it.But you have to just put it down to the non objectivity of the markers.Do you want to carry on with Art?If so I can reassure you that Art colleges will judge you on your recent work and they did not even care about the A level grades just her foundation work.So calm down and concentrate on your other subjects.Best of luck!
Reply 7
Yeah, it's annoying! This teacher even said I could get a 9! My hopes were high and I put in A LOT of effort. I'm depending on the moderator to see the extra lengths I went. My mum said if I end up with a 7 she will try and get it remarked, so I hope the grade boundaries don't go up because I don't want to go through all that effort.
I am doing it for a-level! Kinda regretting it now, especially if I am going to be marked down.
Original post by SamxSky
I am in the exact same boat as you, well, with minor differences; art textiles. and I really believed I would get a 7, even my friends thought I should of gotten a 7. So, I can sympathise with the work you put in, trust me I used to stay until the school closed to finish my coursework. And I only got 105 out of 184 ! I was really distraught / disappointed. But I've emailed our exam officer to get an appeal, I don't know if that is the correct thing to do, but if you believe you deserve a better grade, then just ask someone with exam connections for help and advice. If you want a second opinion.

But, also put it into consideration, like do you want to do it for a-levels?... because if not the appeal process might not be worth it ... But trust me you are not alone, and you are definitely entitled to your opinions and feelings about this.
Reply 8
Its true :frown: Hoping I end up with an 8 on results day! Nothing I can do now...
Original post by samofcoding
To quote some Macbeth that I'll never need to use again "what's done is done". There's no point worrying about it now, maybe your result will be a 7, probably an 8, maybe a 9. I know that doesn't make it any better, but there's nothing you can do now. Focus on the other exams.
Sorry that I sound harsh, but it's an important message.
Reply 9
I am afraid getting a remark is impossible in Art as the whole cohort would have to agree to it. Been there and tried that. I am glad you are managing to accept what will be will be with Art. Only sensible way forward.
Yeah, it's annoying! This teacher even said I could get a 9! My hopes were high and I put in A LOT of effort. I'm depending on the moderator to see the extra lengths I went. My mum said if I end up with a 7 she will try and get it remarked, so I hope the grade boundaries don't go up because I don't want to go through all that effort.
I am doing it for a-level! Kinda regretting it now, especially if I am going to be marked down.
There will be 15 being remarked by an external person so it could be changed into a grade but it’s unlikely my teacher told me they make your grade go down by like 3-5 points
Its gcse art who cares
Reply 12
I got around the same scores as you and I was expecting a 5/6 but last year my total would’ve been an 8 (despite putting very little effort). If the grade boundaries do move up and we end up with 7’s, I wouldn’t get it remarked if I were you because I feel like your teacher would be more generous with your marks than a moderator. You’re more likely to lose marks than gain them :frown:
last year they were 74/96- I was one mark into a level 8. If they go up, I will get a 7, which is amazing but I worked so hard. Hope boundaries are low
Hey everyone,

Hello! I just came across this post and I realised that I am in a really similar situation to you a few years ago. I put in so much time and effort in my art coursework as our exam got cancelled, arguably more than other people on my table. There is this one girl who sat next to me and literally did nothing, and got ten marks above mine, and I got 75/96. My art teacher told me that I could get a 9, but according to 2021 grade boundaries I just scraped an 8, which really upset me because potentially grade boundaries could inflate and I would end up getting a 7. I wanted to know what ended up happening, and if there’s any hope for me to secure an 8 at results day. Did your marks get adjusted by the moderator?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Scotney

I hate to say this but I highly doubt that your daughter was marked down out of spite
Original post by Scorched
I hate to say this but I highly doubt that your daughter was marked down out of spite

Well I am sure you are an expert in all things in life. Teacher was suspended for cheating.
Original post by Scotney
Well I am sure you are an expert in all things in life. Teacher was suspended for cheating.

Cheating how? like increasing marks or purposefully decreasing marks, because normally all the marks for art get moderated. The reason why I said that is because all art subjects normally have some sort of moderator to check if the marks look representational, was this teacher not doing this properly. Please give more details I am curious as to how inadequate that teacher was.
Cheating how? like increasing marks or purposefully decreasing marks, because normally all the marks for art get moderated. The reason why I said that is because all art subjects normally have some sort of moderator to check if the marks look representational, was this teacher not doing this properly. Please give more details I am curious as to how inadequate that teacher was.

Doing pupils work for them.
Original post by Scotney
Doing pupils work for them.

Scotney... you know passively-aggressively responding only to then give an answer that didn't support your claim that your daughter was unfairly marked doesn't make sense. Unless you are arguing that she received less support and therefore didn't do as well as she could have or a more ludicrous argument that that teacher's ability to help specific students substantially increased the grade boundaries, then I really don't understand why you were trying to pick a fight. It seems like they were fairly judged in the end. Simply saying the teacher was caught cheating was a half-truth, It didn't exactly support your argument in earlier comments that the marking was unfair for your daughter as the teacher's wrongdoings had nothing to do with your daughter being marked down for being hated (at least from the limited information you have told me); so the sarcastic tone of calling me "an expert in all things life" was pretty unnecessary and rude. I understand that parents can be pretty protective, but try not to lower yourself by throwing insults and off-hand remarks (it is much easier to keep that sort of thing in your head when it comes to commenting on a forum unlike in real life; it makes you come across as an ass to another person and also rather stand offish).
Scotney... you know passively-aggressively responding only to then give an answer that didn't support your claim that your daughter was unfairly marked doesn't make sense. Unless you are arguing that she received less support and therefore didn't do as well as she could have or a more ludicrous argument that that teacher's ability to help specific students substantially increased the grade boundaries, then I really don't understand why you were trying to pick a fight. It seems like they were fairly judged in the end. Simply saying the teacher was caught cheating was a half-truth, It didn't exactly support your argument in earlier comments that the marking was unfair for your daughter as the teacher's wrongdoings had nothing to do with your daughter being marked down for being hated (at least from the limited information you have told me); so the sarcastic tone of calling me "an expert in all things life" was pretty unnecessary and rude. I understand that parents can be pretty protective, but try not to lower yourself by throwing insults and off-hand remarks (it is much easier to keep that sort of thing in your head when it comes to commenting on a forum unlike in real life; it makes you come across as an ass to another person and also rather stand offish).

This is a three year old thread and I do not choose to go into more detail of my daughters situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending