The Student Room Group

Trump favouring immigrants who are more educated & English speaking?

What are your options on this? Since I don’t know anything about it, I don’t have one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Right now, he wants to do something about the flow of hundreds of thousands of people posing as asylum-seekers over the South border every year and it has nothing to do with Englishness or education. It's about doing away with catch-and-release policies designed to facilitate illegal immigration by his predecessors, ending the practice of claiming asylum at the border if caught, returning children sent on their own from Central America back to their countries as it happens with Mexicans already. They're on course to hit a million people this year, caught at he border.

His enemies and haters claim there is no problem anywhere, that he bigs it all up out of proportion because he hates immigrants and that it's all racist for anyone to suggest that something may need to be done. They want it to carry on like that for all sorts of reasons and sometimes I wonder if, among all this game of smoke and mirrors, Trump is the last sane person left in the US.
Original post by Revision Boiii
What are your options on this? Since I don’t know anything about it, I don’t have one.

Very similar to:-

May favouring immigrants who are more educated and English speaking

Morrison favouring immigrants who are more educated and English speaking

Ardern favouring immigrants who are more educated and English speaking

Trudeau favouring immigrants who are more educated and English or French speaking
Reply 3
Original post by z-hog
Right now, he wants to do something about the flow of hundreds of thousands of people posing as asylum-seekers over the South border every year and it has nothing to do with Englishness or education.

If you're going to tell lies at least try to make it even vaguely believable
Reply 4
Original post by nulli tertius
Very similar to:-

May favouring immigrants who are more educated and English speaking

Morrison favouring immigrants who are more educated and English speaking

Ardern favouring immigrants who are more educated and English speaking

Trudeau favouring immigrants who are more educated and English or French speaking

Isn't that, quite literally, every single countries immigration policy? Speak the native language and not be a halfwit?
Reply 5
Original post by Napp
If you're going to tell lies at least try to make it even vaguely believable

Where's the lie, you mean there aren't hundreds of thousands crossing illegally and claiming asylum if caught?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by z-hog
Where's the lie, you mean there aren't hundreds of thousands crossing illegally and claiming asylum if caught?

I'm saying there are not hundred of thousands of fake asylum seekers each year, which is what you said. Illegal crossings are completely different as you were very specific in your (false) allegation.
Reply 7
Original post by Napp
I'm saying there are not hundred of thousands of fake asylum seekers each year, which is what you said. Illegal crossings are completely different as you were very specific in your (false) allegation.

Fair enough, you believe whatever version of reality you like. In March alone there were 76,000 detentions and the ones who haven't been returned to origin have applied for asylum, the only way they can stay. It's the same with the latest smuggling route into the UK over the channel, we don't hear much about it but there are more people exploiting it on the back of the asylum racket by the week. Nothing can be done about it, we're all tied up in knots by the people earning out of it as much as they are in the US. Trump wants to make it illegal to apply for asylum at the border, the only way this could possibly be tampered with. Never mind, I'm just lying again.
Reply 8
Original post by z-hog
Fair enough, you believe whatever version of reality you like. In March alone there were 76,000 detentions and the ones who haven't been returned to origin have applied for asylum, the only way they can stay. It's the same with the latest smuggling route into the UK over the channel, we don't hear much about it but there are more people exploiting it on the back of the asylum racket by the week. Nothing can be done about it, we're all tied up in knots by the people earning out of it as much as they are in the US. Trump wants to make it illegal to apply for asylum at the border, the only way this could possibly be tampered with. Never mind, I'm just lying again.

The simple fact of the matter is you told an outright lie and have tried to weasel out of it by ex post facto attempting to change what you said. You specifically said hundreds of thousands of people a year masquerade as asylum seekers and there isnt a single shred of evidence that backs that up.
How is that a new route sorry? People have been smuggling over the channel ever since there boats...?
Trump wants to do many things, that doesnt make his way of going about what can sometime be said to be fair goals any less moronic and ham fisted. The man is as thick as a plank and twice as useless.
Reply 9
Original post by Napp
The simple fact of the matter is you told an outright lie and have tried to weasel out of it by ex post facto attempting to change what you said. You specifically said hundreds of thousands of people a year masquerade as asylum seekers and there isnt a single shred of evidence that backs that up.

Why don't you stop consuming the **** the left-wing media intoxicate you with, that's why you haven't a clue about what goes on in the real world.
Reply 10
Original post by z-hog
Why don't you stop consuming the **** the left-wing media intoxicate you with, that's why you haven't a clue about what goes on in the real world.

Hahahaha you havent a clue what news I read :lol: Alas, i'm not going to start following your crack pot news outlets who wouldnt know the truth if you beat them over the head with it.
But I imagine i have a somewhat better and rounder view than you with your quaint partisan view on it.
Original post by z-hog

So you're saying he's wrong, and that there is documented evidence of hundreds of thousands of people falsely posing as asylum seekers?
Original post by z-hog

For the last year that data is publicly available, 92000 people tried to claim asylum at the southern border and it was found they had no case.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration/claims-fear

This falls short of your false hundreds of thousands claim. Given how easily it is to check the data, we can only assume you pulled your figures out of your backside.

Elsewhere you have stated you are on some kind of crusade to stop misinformation. May I suggest you work on your self-awareness?
Reply 13
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
For the last year that data is publicly available, 92000 people tried to claim asylum at the southern border and it was found they had no case.

For this year and the month of February alone, 76,000 cases of....

The number of migrant families crossing the southwest border has once again broken records, with unauthorized entries nearly double what they were a year ago, suggesting that the Trump administration’s aggressive policies have not discouraged new migration to the United States.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/us/border-crossing-increase.html

That's the NYT, as we can tell by the silly bit at the end on Trump. Come off the fence, I think Trump is right in calling it a humanitarian crisis and that he's dead right in wanting to curb it as much as possible. We should do the same with the Iranian smuggling route that presents us with boatloads of people in the channel. Do you agree or is that all fine with you?
Original post by Napp
Isn't that, quite literally, every single countries immigration policy? Speak the native language and not be a halfwit?

Yes. It’s hardly controversial.
Reply 15
Those are exacly the sort of immigrants that every country should favour. Nobody wants uneducated, illiterate third worlders. The more similar an immigrant is to the indigenous population, the more he is desired.
Australia already does it, so no surprise Trump also want US immigration systems to be Australian style
Reply 17
Original post by ilem
Those are exacly the sort of immigrants that every country should favour. Nobody wants uneducated, illiterate third worlders. The more similar an immigrant is to the indigenous population, the more he is desired.

Not quite, there are people who can use uneducated and illiterate third worlders. Hollywood luvvies, for instance, can hire them cheaply to do the cleaning and the ironing, the dude who owns the Washington Post can employ a few somewhere in his business empire. That's Jeff Bezos, he owns Amazon and the Washington Post are excoriating of anything Trump related, including his intentions of curbing illegal immigration. The Republican party were even traditionally never that bothered about it, with their core of businessmen and industry barons benefiting from a source of cheap labour and even now Trump struggles within the party to make any inroads.

It was the Democrats who were always most opposed to it when their base was a working class threatened by high levels of immigration and what it did to their wages. Now they want them for votes and power and the working class has moved in with Trump. There are many people who benefit from preserving the status quo on the south border to their own advantage somehow. The lawyers processing their asylum claims, for instance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Napp

It doesn't matter that much, those are the current projected rates and it was a broad stroke. i could have made it 'hundreds of thousands of crossings' a year, we don't know how many of those, everyone who made it without being intercepted would have claimed asylum if caught, how many people disappear through catch-and-release, the US have at the moment hundreds of thousands of people trying to enter the country, they have as much of a problem as any other country facing the same situation would have. I don't see a humanitarian crisis there because Trump says so, were anybody else to say it and it would be just the same.

Look, if you really want it you can have it. Maybe there haven't been hundreds of thousands of people posing as asylum seekers every year but had I made it just tens of them and you'd have had nothing to say so just enjoy it. I swear I thought somebody could find it tempting but just couldn't be bothered. :biggrin:
Reply 19
How is that a new route sorry? People have been smuggling over the channel ever since there boats...?

Sorry, forgot that bit. I'm talking about the Iranian route through Serbia, into which they can now fly without a visa and then engage the required services to make it to the French coast and across the channel, from the people who run that business line. For that reason, we now have a new influx of Iranians applying for asylum as they are picked up in the Channel. There's nothing that can be done to prevent it and I fear it will only become a more popular route for illegal immigration as time goes on. Why shouldn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending